tchowell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
I'm currently using an Acer Predator AG3620-UR21P with a GT630 2GB Graphics card. I want the GTX 670, but I'm pretty sure it will be too long or it will interfere with a part on the motherboard (not the memory or any thing else you plug into the motherboard). I would like to know if there are other graphics cards that have similar capabilities and are shorter that the GTX 670.

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Yes you need to know the amps on the 12V rail. So find that out.

But yeah if it physically will not fit I don't think there are any graphics cards of THAT caliber that are much smaller.

You would most likely have to settle for something in the area of a GTX 560 Ti

tchowell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

The amps of the +12v rails is roughly 30, but I will need to settle for something less intensive I'm pretty sure. Maybe a GTX 560 Ti, but I still need to know if it will get past that metal post below the RAM you showed me in the picture. I also don't know if it will except a dual-slot graphics card. I can't find that information anywhere.

krazyjamus

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
If you open your case you will know if it can accept a dual-slot graphics card. If it looks like there is room for one, then it'll work. There isn't anything special about 2slot graphics cards.

30A is low. You might be able to run it on that. But does your PSU even have the appropriate 6pin connectors ?

Roughly 30A ? You added up what was on the 12 v rails ? Anyway, 30A is cutting it close maybe.

Do you mean that metal cooling thing ? does it stick so much out than that it will hit the gpu casing ?

mace200200

Honorable
The average size for a 670 is like 9.5'', since the standard length of a motherboard is 9.6'' you shouldn't have a problem fitting it into your case since obviously the motherboard fits in there (unless your case has the hard drive stuffed in between the front of the motherboard and the side panel, since it doesn't look like a low profile case it shouldn't be this way). However, you also have to look if it's going to cover SATA ports, or anything else.

mace200200

Honorable
Ok i see what you looking at now, its actually a heatsink for the south bridge, I have never ever had a motherboard where that wasn't low enough for a GPU to pass over, if it makes you feel better in my computer right now I have a 7770 covering that up.

exeedorbit

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Actually, I'm seeing cards like Gigabyte and Asus running at around 10-12 inches (depending on the cooler). So please, measure, measure, and measure some more before you buy something. Take all three dimensions into account before you buy, if you have a small case, make sure the power cables from your PSU can move freely to reach your video card.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

Oh sorry I was looking at the acer case you mentioned earlier on newegg. Their info was that it had 0 available pcie x16 slots out of total of 1. Lol whatever that meant.

Oh and most 670 models non reference are about 10 to10.75 inches in length because of the aftermarket coolers they have on them.

mace200200

Honorable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130782
9.5 inches, with the fan in the back like (i can't remember what it's called) one fan is all you should need to keep this card cool.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

Yup that is a regular stock model, fan blows air out the back of your case. It won't overheat and should not get too hot as long as you have some fans in the case.

tchowell

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

Well it depends on the shape of it. Because obviously something as long as 9.5 inches is going to reach almost to that empty metal casing on the right side of that picture. If it had the shape of my current GPU then the card would go just over it. And technically it was 34A but I wanted to go worst case scenario. I don't think the 670 would be a comfortable fit in this small of a case. I need something an inch or two shorter.

Yeah, well i wasn't looking at the length yet, only making sure the cooler from the south bridge :D wasn't in the way.

I think you are right about the length and a 560 ti or a 660ti with new psu would be best.

TRENDING THREADS