Should I buy a new pc or upgrade?

scofal

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Hi,

I have a dell xps 420 tat I bought in 2007. It has a q6600 quad core processor 2.4 ghz, a GeForce 8800 gt video card 512 mb ram, 4 gb of ram and 320 gb HDd. And vista

It's been running really slow and I hunk the HDd is starting to fail so I wanted your opinion.

Is it worth replacing the HDd with a new 2 Tb drive and re- installing vista or is my pc so old that it's not even worth it.

Thanks

Solution
Q6600 is getting long in the tooth, but far from obsolete. Rather than getting a 2TB hard drive, look at getting an 80-120 GB SSD for your OS (fresh install) and programs. Keep the 320 GB drive for data storage only. Add in a newer graphics card (GTX660Ti comes to mind) and you should be good to go. A good dusting and your system should be good for another couple of years.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Q6600 is getting long in the tooth, but far from obsolete. Rather than getting a 2TB hard drive, look at getting an 80-120 GB SSD for your OS (fresh install) and programs. Keep the 320 GB drive for data storage only. Add in a newer graphics card (GTX660Ti comes to mind) and you should be good to go. A good dusting and your system should be good for another couple of years.

-Wolf sends

Solution

scofal

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks. One thing, is there anyway I can tell if my current hard drive is good or bad. I'd rather spend a few bucks on a new data drive if my current drive won;t last too long.

Thanks

scofal

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Ok thanks again.

scofal

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012

Thanks for the replies.

I received my daily deal email from newegg and purchased a Corsair 180GB SSD drive and just to play it safe I bought a 1TB Seagate Constellation drive.

So after rebates it cost me about $250 and I think that should keep me going for another year or two.

Plus I can always take the drives out and use in a new PC.

Thanks for all the suggestions.