Sign in with
Your question

Mobo or cpu

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 27, 2013 4:27:27 AM

Hello,
I spilled coffee on my computer and immediately turned it off and let it dry for several days. When I went to turn it back on the power light would come on for a few seconds, then the HD, WIFI, etc. lights would come on and stay on, but power LED would go out. How do I determine if it is mobo or CPU? Tried a replacement mobo, but had same results.

More about : mobo cpu

February 27, 2013 4:41:30 AM

well if you tried a new mb, and that didnt fix it, you can cross that off the list. i wouldnt think the cpu would be damaged, but you never know. do you have another psu lying around that you can test with? i would suspect the psu and try to troubleshoot that first.
m
l
February 27, 2013 4:41:37 AM

elfykip said:
Hello,
I spilled coffee on my computer and immediately turned it off and let it dry for several days. When I went to turn it back on the power light would come on for a few seconds, then the HD, WIFI, etc. lights would come on and stay on, but power LED would go out. How do I determine if it is mobo or CPU? Tried a replacement mobo, but had same results.

could be the power supply took a hit or there still a dead short from the coffee spill. start with taking the mb out of the case and with no ram or cards installed see if you get any cmos beep codes. if the mb with a speaker gives you beeps. then put in one ram stick and see if the cmos beep codes change. if they do then add the video card and see if you get any video. when you bare bone your system make sure there no drives or anything other then the ram/video card.
m
l
!