[Please Help] GPU Temperature Steady Increase

SziAdagio

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hello,

I'm completely scrapped on ideas right now without any idea what to do. My GPU temperature is steadily increasing in idle state by 1C every ten-fifteen seconds. This can continue until it breaks 200C (checked from Gamebooster) to which my computer's driver crashed. I opened up the case and checked for dust, but for the most part it's dust-free and the ventilation is fine. I keep my PC on a wooden floor as well and the room temperature is a steady 66F.

My CPU temperature is also fine at a steady 30C. My graphics card is a GeForce 9800 GT if that matters. I have not tinkered with the fan speed at all.

On the other hand, the thermal paste seems to be completely dried up. Could that alone be the cause of this all? I built my computer two or three years ago.

I have not experienced severe GPU overheating until just last night.

SziAdagio

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Whoops. I deal so much with Celsius that I just type C for everything. I'll just rectify that then.

I'll try reapplying paste then. Anyways, at around 160C (monitoring from Speccy/GB) the screen flickers, the drivers crash then recover, then the temperature of the GPU suddenly jumps 80C up to 240C. Worrisome.

SziAdagio

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Second inspection, I started to look for other faults after researching that the thermal paste should mitigate non-excessive stress such as video games and not have too much an impact on idle temperature.

Then I decided to run the PC and inspect from there. Lo and behold, there's my problem. The GPU fan isn't running at all. I'm now on a quest to figure out how to solve this issue. It's properly plugged in. I'm thinking at this point I might just need a new one altogether. Prefer not, but I suppose I don't have too much choice in the matter.

I did tell my girlfriend though, who had been watching Arrested Development with me at the time my PC crashed, that the problem was a tarantula was caught in the fan.

She believed it.

If anyone knows any methods to get the fan running, please let me know. I heard about some sort of method involving oiling the bearings?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

we got some problems with temps here. i think those are suppose to be Fahrenheit because 240c would be basically impossible.

SziAdagio

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

It could be a display error; I wouldn't know. I just read the numbers off from Speccy/Gamebooster where it's default in Celsius and keeps Fahrenheit in parenthesis. I did find the 80C jump very odd, but I'm not tech savvy enough to know the legitimacy of the programs' readings.