Sign in with
Your question

Issues networking wired/wireless on same network

Last response: in Networking
October 7, 2011 2:48:36 AM

I have 2 Windows 7 Professional Pc's (ones a laptop wireless). I have tried countless times to consistently get the 2 to be able to share the same network for file sharing.

Both are on the same Workgroup. Both are set to Home (and I even tied Work) network. The only thing that they do not share the same is their name. My wireless name is in screen shot #1 and my Wired name is #2. Not sure if this matters, or where I can change my Wired name.

I have even tried using the Homegroup which you would think would be simple, and I can get it to work sometimes (very rarely) and others it won't connect at all.

I do have 2 routers one is in DMZ (ATT Uverse) and my primary router D-Link DIR-655. I have even used MAC address filtering to allow both PC's.

I should also add that I have the settings in Network and Sharing set correctly too. (trying to spare details)

I wish I could give better details, and I am hoping there is something simple I am missing. It bugs me that I have always had this issue (on/off). I have also tried eliminating the firewall and Antivirus and that didn't seem to help either.

Help!
October 7, 2011 3:25:07 AM

Ensure that Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are switched on for both of the systems.
Make sure that you can ping each of the computers.

Once that's all done, go to the folder/drive you want to share.
Right click --> Properties --> Security --> Edit

Add the group "Everyone" to the security list, with whatever permissions you want. If it's a secure home network I'd say just set it at Full Control.

Click OK --> Sharing --> Advanced Sharing

Tick the Share This Folder box, go into permissions then set everyone to Full Control.

Click OK to get out of all of those screens, then try to connect to the other computer.

If that doesn't work, reset your modem/router and try again.
m
l
October 8, 2011 12:24:52 AM

arael said:
Ensure that Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing are switched on for both of the systems.
Make sure that you can ping each of the computers.

Once that's all done, go to the folder/drive you want to share.
Right click --> Properties --> Security --> Edit

Add the group "Everyone" to the security list, with whatever permissions you want. If it's a secure home network I'd say just set it at Full Control.

Click OK --> Sharing --> Advanced Sharing

Tick the Share This Folder box, go into permissions then set everyone to Full Control.

Click OK to get out of all of those screens, then try to connect to the other computer.

If that doesn't work, reset your modem/router and try again.

I have done all this aside from resetting my router which I am not sure is going to help. I have always had everything set this way. Why it is never consistent is the part that baffles me.

Example, I can share my external HDD on my HTPC but when I try to share the internal storage drive it doesn't work. Or, I can see the "Users folder" for each PC on each PC but I cannot see all all the folders within it. Or I can see my internal drive on my laptop but when I try to open it I get a "Windows Cannot access \\Ht-pc\e

Why some drives, but not others is the part I cannot figure out.

Also it takes a lot time to refresh the "Network" page. You know what I mean, the green bar on the top of Windows explorer takes forever to load.

There's a bigger issue I just cannot figure out what.
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2011 7:15:56 AM

I've had issues with networking Windows 7 computers before. Two worked perfectly fine, but the third would connect sporadically. Both of the working ones refused to connect to the third, unless I reset the router.

In the end I just purchased a new ADSL Modem/Router and it all works perfectly now.
m
l
October 9, 2011 3:41:08 PM

I am not familiar with a ADSL Modem/Router. How do these differ from my D-Link?
m
l
October 9, 2011 10:17:42 PM

The router side of things is similar.

Just a thought, have you tried changing it from work network to home network?
m
l
October 10, 2011 12:03:37 AM

I have tried as stated earlier. I eventually update router FW which basically reset it. I am at a loss. I can share all the drives and see them on each PC but can only open some of them. all the sharing rights are set the same.

I am so frustrated at all this.
m
l
!