gish88

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I just built my first computer and decided that since i'm not a big gamer I didn't need a graphics card. So I am just using the intel 4000 HD integrated graphics system.

While playing video games my 'tv' turns black sometimes but the green light stays on. I have just been using a crappy 19 inch 720 P LCD dynex TV, and connecting it to my computer with an HDMI cable. Also sometimes if I turn the computer on first before the TV I will not get a signal and I have to unplug the HDMI cable and just mess around with everything on the TV before I get a signal again. There seems to be some connection issues with the TV and the computer. Is there a way to make sure it's not the intel gpu? What does it sound like to you guys? I'm new to all this so sorry about sounding newbish....Should I buy a graphics card? A real monitor?

Thanks.

P.S. I used this TV in my bedroom before and it never had issues as a standard TV, but I didn't use the HDMI connector.

Solution
Well League of Legends does lean more on your graphics card than your CPU. Like you said, its not a hugely graphical game but it is possible that could be causing the problems.

I am not going to tell you that you need a 550Ti, but discreet graphics cards are very nice to have. You wont notice a difference in the flash games, but LoL will run much more smoothly for you.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
What kind of games are you playing when your computer blacks out? The integrated graphics will be able to handle facebook games and flash games and videos, but it is not designed to work with any GPU heavy games.

Basically the display port works exactly like HDMI, you just have to have the right cable and connectors.

gish88

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I got the latest driver update from intel, so I'm going to try my friends monitor to see if it's that, then try a different connector. How do I check the windows even log for application errors? I just hope it is not the CPU.

gish88

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

I have only been playing league of legends, not a heavy graphics game. Is it really worth going for a graphics card? I don't really care for nice graphics too much and I am not a big gamer, so would it be worth having? If I do get one I'm thinking about going with this EVGA(NVIDIA) card;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

I think I can afford it.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Well League of Legends does lean more on your graphics card than your CPU. Like you said, its not a hugely graphical game but it is possible that could be causing the problems.

I am not going to tell you that you need a 550Ti, but discreet graphics cards are very nice to have. You wont notice a difference in the flash games, but LoL will run much more smoothly for you.

Solution