Monitor for my new build system

falcon7xx

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
I posted in the flat panel monitor forum, but had not luck so i decided to post here.

I am in the process of doing a $1,500 build for my gaming PC and I am looking for a monitor. Right now my work computer and gaming PC share the same 2 monitors. I saw this new monitor from LG and was thinking about eliminating my dual monitor setup and going with this monitor. Just looking for some thoughts on this monitor or which monitors i should go with for a Work/Gaming PC.

LG EA03
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/30/lgs-ea93-29-inch-display-hands-on/

I do not have a budget for my new monitors I want to get.

I suspect that monitor isn't on the market yet, and if it was it would cost quite a bit of coin.

If the two monitors you have are the same and of decent quality, get another. Three screens is amazing to have for productivity work and is also good for gaming if you have the GPU muscle.

falcon7xx

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Here is my current build that I am in the process of building.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($201.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($313.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($313.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.59 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($135.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)

What dual monitors would be good for gaming on this system? I guess i just have to get over having the bezel in between the monitors. No really much out there unless you modify the monitor, but that doesn't really get rid of the bezel either.

Build looks good to me. To justify the Crossfire 7950's you will really need a multi-monitor setup.

Dual monitors arent for gaming, you need 3 or 6.
Imagine playing BF3 with the cross-hair in between the screens, that's why.

Bezel-less monitors are out there, though I haven't found any. Or at least not any that have VESA mounting and internal power adapters, which are pretty important features to have for an Eyefinity setup.
Just make sure that the bezels aren't overly large and you have a good tri-monitor stand for them (a stand can cost quite a bit as well).

Would go for this monitor x3.
ASUS VE248H Black 24". $185 ($15 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102&name=LCD-Monitors

And due to these monitors not supporting Displayport, and it being required for Eyefinity. You need an active displayport adapter.
VisionTek DVI-D to Displayport adapter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815129011&name=Video-Devices-TV-Tuners

falcon7xx

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
I just got an opportunity to get a Dell U3011 30" monitor for half the price of what it sells for. My employer just order a whole bunch through dell and they got extra's and are offering them to some of us for home use at half the price they sell for. Should I jump on this and use this one monitor for gaming and work?

Have heard a lot of good things about the Dell U3011, if you can afford it, grab one.
Its an IPS panel, so you get better colour reproduction. And at a 2560x1600 resolution, the image quality will also be pretty high.

Though with a resolution that large, your graphics card may be a factor in this. What graphics card have you gotten for the rig? Just at this large a resolution, a mid-range card will struggle at med/high settings I suspect.
If you haven't gotten a card yet, I suggest a HD7970 Ghz. Its about the best card to get for higher resolution gaming.