My computer can support an OEM HD 6570 would it be able to support an of shelf 6

exilor

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I was able to run the OEM Radeon HD 6570 on my Computer with some pretty decent quality gaming,

I wanted to upgrade and since my PC only supports the wattage available for a 6570 would I be able to buy a
6670 and still be able to reliably run it on my system?

Solution
G
ok, here it is;
if that is a 400 watt PSU than it is a very horrible PSU. why?

because any decent PSU would have ~80% of its total watts on the 12 volt rail. so 80% of 400 is 320 watts; you have 264 watt (22*12) which is more inline with a 330 watt PSU (264/.8) not a 400 watt. horrible PSUs have too much on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails (which don't get used as much anymore) to embellish their total wattage.

and considering just that i would be not be surprised if the PSU went to the great beyond if pushed past 200 watts.

going by general recommendations from AMD can be misleading (but i said that already)

theoretically you can use a 7750 since it doesn't need a 6 pin PCI connection and it uses around 50 watts. but i highly suggest...
G

that is not a good way to look at it.

all card will be different in what the draw from the pci-e slot. a card that only uses 40 watts can use a less total wattage PSU than one needing 70 watts.

recommendations on AMD and nVida's site are far from the final word; they do not take into account system configuration or quality of PSU; so they give a general recommendation based on common usage.

G

what it depends on is *what brand* of PSU use have and what your system is; like cpu in it.

edit: you could rock out with a 7750/7770

G

it really would help a lot.

if you had a lower watt cpu like an i3 i wouldn't have a problem suggesting a 7770 even if you had to use an adapter for the molex to pci-e 6 pin power. but an i5 may cut it too close.

edit:if you can take the side off and look at the label to see how many amps are on the 12 volt rail.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
This is why you should have built your own. If you take off the side you'll likely void the warranty. At 400w, a 7750/70 is it assuming its a decent PSU (which it isn't), although that is still a low end card.

G

it won't.
it is ludicrous for a computer manufacturer to keep people from taking off the sides and cleaning the dust out. changing the cpu yeah it can/will but not even installing a gpu in most instances will void the warranty

G

that is very low; 144 watts.

are you sure that is the *only* 12 volt rail? some have label 12v1, 12v2.

still upgrading to a worth wild graphic card would defiantly call for an upgrade of that PSU.

G

the 7570 is just a renamed 6570.

honestly any upgrade would be a 7750 or 7770 depending on what you can afford. and both of those would require a better PSU. sorry.

TRENDING THREADS