Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New computer build

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 15, 2012 5:02:00 AM

Hello folks I'm looking for some much needed help. I've never put together my own computer so now is my first. My main use is photo editing with Photoshop and light room with additional side programs and HDR programs. So here is a list of what I have thus far and I really would like some feedback on this build and what you would change and why.

Mobo Asus P9x79 ws
CPU undecided but either the Intel I7 3820 or the 3930
Video card will be Nvidia gtx670
ram will be corsair vengeance 32Gb 1866 MHz
Psu is corsair pro ax750
Cooling will be corsair hydro h100
I have two ssd already one is an ocz vertex 4 128 gig to run the OS from the other is a vertex 4 256 gig to install my photo editing programs on and I have an internal 1 TB hard drive for storage and two 1 TB externals as well.
I already have IPS monitor and mouse and keyboard so basically I'm doing a build
The case will be a cooler master HAF full tower.

I'm sure this is way overkill my current system is a rampage 2 gene xeon 3520 processor with 9 gig ram unsure of psu and air cooled only.

All comments and suggestions are welcomed and thanks in advance for your input.

James

More about : computer build

October 15, 2012 5:15:59 AM

The H100 is not a good choice for cooler, there's far better you could go with. If you're going to run liquid cooling, use the real thing or don't use it at all, closed loops are cheap toys compared to what a real liquid loop can do.

That RAM needs to be low profile if you're getting Corsair Vengeance.

Go with the 3930K over the 3820. And you'll need a big case if you're going to run the WS, you'll need something like a Switch 810 or Cooler Master Cosmos II.
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 5:19:59 AM

That is a silly amount of ram. what do you plan on doing with it eh? o-o
m
0
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 5:21:02 AM

g-unit1111 said:
The H100 is not a good choice for cooler, there's far better you could go with. If you're going to run liquid cooling, use the real thing or don't use it at all, closed loops are cheap toys compared to what a real liquid loop can do.

That RAM needs to be low profile if you're getting Corsair Vengeance.

Go with the 3930K over the 3820. And you'll need a big case if you're going to run the WS, you'll need something like a Switch 810 or Cooler Master Cosmos II.



Thanks for input here is the ram I had in mind to install

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-1866mHz-240-pin...

I guess next question would be will I even need water cooling and if so what would you choose over the H100

James
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 5:23:13 AM

Booneford said:
That is a silly amount of ram. what do you plan on doing with it eh? o-o



Photoshop is very intensive and at 9 gig now it really bogs my system down I have cs6 and light room both open at same time going back and forth between the two in my photo editing.
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 4:20:08 PM

jphillips1963 said:
Thanks for input here is the ram I had in mind to install

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-1866mHz-240-pin...

I guess next question would be will I even need water cooling and if so what would you choose over the H100

James


I'd go with a Noctua D14. I know it's a big ass cooler but it's a lot better than a plastic water block. If you want to try liquid cooling a good place to start would be a Swiftech Edge.
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 4:36:07 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'd go with a Noctua D14. I know it's a big ass cooler but it's a lot better than a plastic water block. If you want to try liquid cooling a good place to start would be a Swiftech Edge.



Thanks G-unit,

The ram I had chosen with the link above is that sufficient I know you mentioned I needed to use low profile.

James
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 4:55:10 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Try something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Thanks kindly that'll save me money to.

One last quetion, you chose the 3930 over the 3820 in my new build. May I ask why? The 3930 is a hexacore while the 3820 isa quad core and from what I've read there really isn't any software on the market yet to take advantage ov the 3930 processor. Again I'm new here at this and just trying to learn as much as possible and do this right the first time and save money where I can.

James
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 4:58:23 PM

jphillips1963 said:
Thanks kindly that'll save me money to.

One last quetion, you chose the 3930 over the 3820 in my new build. May I ask why? The 3930 is a hexacore while the 3820 isa quad core and from what I've read there really isn't any software on the market yet to take advantage ov the 3930 processor. Again I'm new here at this and just trying to learn as much as possible and do this right the first time and save money where I can.

James


If you're going X79 it's the 3930K or bust. The 3820 is really no better than the 3770K, so if you don't get the 3820, get the 3770K instead. You'll save money on the motherboard and CPU that way. The only downside is that you lose that extra RAM capacity but even for heavy duty CS 5/6 work you most likely won't use more than 32GB.
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 5:19:56 PM

g-unit1111 said:
If you're going X79 it's the 3930K or bust. The 3820 is really no better than the 3770K, so if you don't get the 3820, get the 3770K instead. You'll save money on the motherboard and CPU that way. The only downside is that you lose that extra RAM capacity but even for heavy duty CS 5/6 work you most likely won't use more than 32GB.



OK thanks, So is the X79 ovekill should I look at a board for the 3770 and just go that route and save some extra money yet again? I'm no gamer just internet browsing and like said using photoshop a lot. What setup would you build based on my needs?
Thanks alot on this help

James
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 6:17:02 PM

jphillips1963 said:
OK thanks, So is the X79 ovekill should I look at a board for the 3770 and just go that route and save some extra money yet again? I'm no gamer just internet browsing and like said using photoshop a lot. What setup would you build based on my needs?
Thanks alot on this help

James


I'd have to know budget first before I recommend a setup. Yeah the X79 would be kind of overkill unless you're doing a lot of CS 5/6 work. For most needs the 3770K will be fine.
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 7:14:13 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'd have to know budget first before I recommend a setup. Yeah the X79 would be kind of overkill unless you're doing a lot of CS 5/6 work. For most needs the 3770K will be fine.


Original build was going to be in the range of 1800.00 give or take a few bucks. So that or less and of course preferably less.
m
0
l

Best solution

October 15, 2012 10:17:40 PM

jphillips1963 said:
Original build was going to be in the range of 1800.00 give or take a few bucks. So that or less and of course preferably less.


Here's what you should get with that:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1723.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
Share
October 15, 2012 10:30:13 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Here's what you should get with that:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1723.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)



OK thanks I can shave some off that now I see I already have a pair of vertex 4 from ocz one for running my os on and the other to run my photo editing software on and I have a 1 TB internal hdd now for storage and two 1TB hdd externals. So what I'll do is just add more memory . Thanks for the help i appreciate it. Oh I tried windows 8 hated it so I have a new unused copy of windows 7 pro 64 bit I'll install as well.

James
m
0
l
October 15, 2012 10:30:26 PM

Best answer selected by jphillips1963.
m
0
l
!