Cheap, great nvidia graphics card?

thcdaily

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hi guys, first post here. I am currently rounding up parts to build a new computer. The budget for my build is around $800 usd. I'm more of an Nvidia/Intel kind of guy. I have a processor in mind that I think will do what I need. I'm going to be playing mostly new games. This is a gaming pc and I don't really intend to use it for much more than that.

What I come here to ask is what kind of graphics card should I buy? I was originally looking at a gtx 590 but remember, price is a factor. I want to be able to play the newest games and new games to come on the highest settings with great performance.

This is the cpu I had in mind, feel free to suggest another one that would fit what I need. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&Tpk=i5-2500k

I want cpu's and gpu's I could overclock nicely while still in a good budget range. I also want a nice system that will not bottleneck anything.

While we're at it, someone can suggest a good motherboard to run all of this and a case if you want :)

Thanks in advance, THCDaily

There is a separate forum for that.

thcdaily

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

I will keep those cards in mind. I'm also willing to push the limit a little bit just not wanting to go over $1000. I also should of noted that I have a PSU and HDD I can use temporarily from my current pc and I believe it is 650w. I'm not going to be buying all these parts at one time, just over time when I have the spare cash. I also already have a computer screen, keyboard, mouse, headset.

Edit- Mousemonkey, Sorry for putting that. I know there is a second forum for that, but I didn't think it was too much trouble to ask. I will edit that part out if need-be.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I was in your position a few weeks ago. My budget for a graphics card was only $200, so I settled on a GTX 560. So far it's been a wonderful choice. Runs every game (1600 x 900) at very high settings! :)

If you can save $300, the 660ti is an excellent choice. Good luck with whatever you get!

thcdaily

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I'm siding towards a 660ti. I have a question though, why is it ranked better than the 590 on this benchmarking website? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

thcdaily

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Darn, I was using that site to see what kinda card I should get. So would I be able to play a game like battlefield 3 on ultra with everything maxed with a 660ti? Hopefully getting a steady 60fps, but I would love more fps.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The 660ti should let you set highest settings for Bf3, maybe not too much anti-aliasing. Especially for your resolution and your budget that card would work great. I know you said nvidia but Amd just dropped prices on the 7950 7870 too and those will do just fine as well.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
In terms of multiplayer, some settings will be lowered, not all. In single player it will be set to ultra. I had a 560ti and single was set to ultra, multiplayer was high at 1920x1080. I'm not too picky though so it satisfied me.

It looks you'll be fine at stock clocks.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/16/galaxy_geforce_gtx_660_ti_gc_3gb_video_card_review/5
1345069090fDAdGjwncw_6_3_l.gif

Even better with a factory overclock (with added AA settings).
1345069090fDAdGjwncw_5_3_l.gif

Overclock it yourself and you're golden (note it's at a higher resolution).
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/21/galaxy_geforce_gtx_660_ti_gc_3gb_overclocking_review/4
1345457472RZSQY4hIJ3_4_5_l.gif

thcdaily

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Nice replies guys! I know bf3 is a really really gpu intensive game which is why I'm using that as an example for what I need. I'm willing to spend extra cash on buying a better card if need-be. I don't want to sound picky, but I don't want to get 35-40fps at any time with max settings. :( I just want to be able to play this game without noticing any lag whatsoever spending the smallest amount of money to get me there. So looks like the 660ti will go on my list of things to buy, unless there are any more recommendations?

edit-I'm going to be playing online in Bf3, will I still be getting high fps?

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The fps will depend if the map is large or not and how many players are on at the same time. My 560ti never lagged at all in multiplayer or single player. At most times I was doing stuff in the background of the game too like running apps and such. So either card you go with should not have one bit of lag.

As for fps you will be fine with the 660ti or any other card you go up to. Once you stop worrying so much about fps you will see there aren't issues with stuttering or lag as long as you are running stable software.

thcdaily

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks man. I'm just worrying a little too much on building this new pc. I don't want to buy the wrong parts and be stuck with them. I also want the parts I buy to perform well a few years, for later games. I think I've decided on a Gtx 660 ti. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

I have one last question though. Why do new cards come out that are not as good as older cards? I don't know if that question came out right because its late and I'm down a half 5th of jose. :pt1cable:

edit- maybe 1 last, last, question hehe. Will this cpu bottleneck anything or vice versa?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&Tpk=i5-2500k

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

Your welcome :) Oh and nice choice of a card they stay cool, has good overclocking potential and quality parts. What do you mean by not as good as older cards, depends what you compare to? A few years back technology was limited to certain chips, bios, pcb's.. so those cards reached maximum performance with software that was available at the time. Also games previously were not so demanding.

As new tech came in, software development expanded in every way possible. So these newer cards are built with the highest specs possible for their hearchy. Where the software hasn't fully been optimized for them. We see that a lot where usually as new technology gets ahead, developers may be limited to certain factors. But, it will only get better.

And for that cpu, its excellent for gaming. No bottleneck at all. You can get a cooler like a hyper 212+ if you want to overclock the 2500k up to say 4.2Ghz. I can fit one in my Roswell Challenger but I will do that when I get a bigger case. I have not felt the need to overclock and I built this pc a year ago.

I was nervous too selecting parts but I spent weeks on here and came out with something that I never understood why anyone would ever buy a computer from a third party ever again.

My specs are as follows:

Asrock z68 Extreme 3 gen3 mobo
Intel Core I5 2500k stock for now
8gb Corsair Vengence 1600
1Tb HD 7200 Rpm
Crucial M4 128Gb SSD
Corsair 750W Enthusiast series PSU
Intel HD graphics ---> I just recently sold my MSI twin frozr II 560Ti. Gonna probably go with a 670 OC aftermarket model

When I first put this together I didnt have the SSD and I spent a total of say $909 with a 22 LED Acer monitor. Check newegg for combo deals, that is where I saved the most.

You should be fine if you select decent parts and take your time.

Edit: If you want I can put together a build on newegg assuming you don't need a monitor and the parts will be newer of course compared to what I have in terms of processor, mobo.

thcdaily

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the quality post. I basically want your computer, will that be cash or debit :p I like most of your specs. I would like of you could help me round together parts off newegg. I get paid Thursday and should be able to buy 600$ worth of stuff :sol: :) I need a case that will fit a bigger fan like you said for the cpu overclocking, as i plan on doing that.

I would really appreciate if you would help me on the right path, this stuff is frustrating! I don't know if you need a certain motherboard for overclocking, but I want one that I can overclock EVERYTHING with ease. Overclock cpu, memory, gpu, you know.. the works. I found a cheap ssd 120gb for 64 bucks, I might get that.

Sorry for the late reply, been pretty busy, I hope your still interested in helping a fellow neighbor out. Thanks in advance.