Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 GTX 640s for gaming or something else?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 21, 2012 9:59:18 PM

So I am customizing a gaming PC at CyberPower and I spoke to someone at Best Buy who is a serious computer genius and gamer. I showed him the customization and asked him what he recommended and he put in a few things for me. I didn't know exactly his reason for some things, as he explained them in a technical language that I didn't understand, even though I consider myself to be decent with computers and knowledge about them. But anyway, for a video card he put in an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card and put in the same exact thing for video card 2. I was not aware that I needed 2 video cards, but I was confused as ever already and so I just went with it. Well, now I am looking it over and I want to make sure that I get the most out of my new gaming PC, so I decided to ask someone with more intelligence about this particular subject than me. So my question is, will the two 640s give me good results for gaming (high or ultra) or should I pick a different setup for my PC? I will also include the specs for the computer I am hoping to get so that you could maybe look over everything and tell me if this looks sufficient. And please note that while I don't play any serious games now, I know ones that I am going to be playing in the future and I want my computer to be able to handle all the latest games with good results. Thanks!

BLUETOOTH:None

CARE1:Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]

CAS:Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)

CASUPGRADE:None

CC:None

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CD2:None

COOLANT:Standard Coolant

CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

CS_FAN:D efault case fans

ENGRAVING:Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [+0] (MV Boli [+0])

ENGRAVING_MSG:Sincerely, StompinPangin

FA_HDD:None

FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

FLASHMEDIA:None

FREEBIE_MB:None

GLASSES:None

HDD:120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write [+42] (Single Drive)

HDD2:None

IEEE_CARD:None

IUSB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD:AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard

MB_SRT:None

MEMORY:8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [-2] (Corsair or Major Brand)

MONITOR:24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD [+157]

MONITOR2:None

MONITOR3:None

MOPAD1:Razer Sphex Gaming Grade Desktop Skins Mouse Pad [+13]

MOTHERBOARD:[CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen2 PCIe x16 & PCI [-15]

MOUSE:AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge

NETWORK:o nboard Gigabit LAN Network

OVERCLOCK:No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY:* 850 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: W0319RU [+82]

RUSH:NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE:STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS:None

TEMP:None

TUNING:None

TVRC:None

USB:None

USBFLASH:None

USBHD:None

USBX:None

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [-40] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO2:NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+122] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO3:None

WNC:802.11b/g/n 300 Mbps Wireless Card + External 2.4G 5 Dbi Omni-Directional Wireless Antenna [+39]

P.S. sorry for long list! i just copied and pasted from the email configuration

More about : gtx 640s gaming

a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:09:20 PM

Look at the $1000 pc here at Tom's -(main page) and go from there. Build your own - better pc.
-Bruce
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:16:38 PM

Do not do not do not get a 3570k on a B75 motherboard. You cannot overclock on a B75 board.

On video cards, CyberPower and iBuyPower overcharge on video cards like no other (7770s for $170+!). What I'd recommend if you're set on getting on of their PCs is to order it without a video card, then purchase one yourself from Newegg or someplace and install it yourself. It'll save you a handful of money. This is relevant because I don't believe you can purchase GT640s anywhere, and I wouldn't want to anyway, because they're not very good cards.

Edit: Killerhurtalot's right, 850W is way overkill on the PSU. Plus, Thermaltake PSUs aren't very good.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:17:19 PM

Why the fk would he put 640 in SLI............. He's an idiot for doing that... It's going to be terrible for gaming (and futureproofing)

WHY DOES IT HAVE A B75 MOTHERBOARD WITH A K SERIES PROCESSOR...........

WHY DOES THIS PC ONLY HAVE A 120 GB SSD AND NO HDD..........

WHY DOES THIS PC HAVE 850W PSU...............

I would say that is a TERRIBLE PC build.
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:20:33 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-640-revi...
This article compares it to some other cards. I am also fairly new with PC's and gaming and what-not. I have a GTX 670 and it maxes out every game I throw at it. My 670 was $400 though, while the 640 is a more budget card. I would think you could run Battlefield 3 on high settings with 2 640's.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:20:49 PM

Taylor_31 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-640-revi...
This article compares it to some other cards. I am also fairly new with PC's and gaming and what-not. I have a GTX 670 and it maxes out every game I throw at it. My 670 was $400 though, while the 640 is a more budget card. I would think you could run Battlefield 3 on high settings with 2 640's.

Not at 1080p with some AA/AF on..... GT 640s are TERRIBLE.....

That review shows the GT 640 playing BF3 on 1080p resolution with LOW PRESET at less than 30 fps........... having two of them won't make you magically able to play it at 1080p at high settings at 30 fps...
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:27:11 PM

Also that power supply has been discontinued. I cannot find a reputable review on it either - I would stay away from that psu.
-Bruce
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:27:57 PM

Oh uh. I apologize for assembling this is a "horrible way". Even though I am okay with using a computer I have almost no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to parts of a computer or what would be good for gaming. If anyone would like to kindly recommend something that I should do to make a good gaming computer I would appreciate it. But please do not call me an "idiot" for something I've never done before. That's why I came here in the first place. Thank you.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:29:33 PM

I did a quick search on cyberpowerpc for his computer with his specs.

They were going to charge him over $1200......

Any single one of us can make you a MUCH better PC with a monitor+mouse+keyboard for $1200...............
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:31:23 PM

one decent video card is always better than 2 baddies.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:33:56 PM

Stompinpangin said:
Oh uh. I apologize for assembling this is a "horrible way". Even though I am okay with using a computer I have almost no knowledge whatsoever when it comes to parts of a computer or what would be good for gaming. If anyone would like to kindly recommend something that I should do to make a good gaming computer I would appreciate it. But please do not call me an "idiot" for something I've never done before. That's why I came here in the first place. Thank you.

I was calling that guy from bestbuy... He clearly knows NOTHING about computer hardware.
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:36:01 PM

Oh. Well I guess I was mislead. This may belong in another post, but is there anyone that could tell me a good website or customization or setup or anything that would help me? I want a nice gaming computer and I do not want to spend more than 1300. I appreciate everyone replying, and thanks for your helpful feedback.
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:41:17 PM

Stompinpangin said:
Oh uh. I apologize for assembling this is a "horrible way". ... But please do not call me an "idiot" for something I've never done before. That's why I came here in the first place. Thank you.

I hope we didn't come off as terribly mean, it wasn't meant that way. I believe the 'idiot' comment was directed at whoever advised you to use two 640s.

Stompinpangin said:
Oh. Well I guess I was mislead. This may belong in another post, but is there anyone that could tell me a good website or customization or setup or anything that would help me? I want a nice gaming computer and I do not want to spend more than 1300. I appreciate everyone replying, and thanks for your helpful feedback.

Sure, if you're willing to build your own (don't be timid, there's a ton of great resources to help you at every step), we can put something together for you that'll include what you need.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:46:49 PM

Stompinpangin said:

I think the best advice is to use this as a learning opportunity and learn how to build your own computer... I'm pretty sure that all of us would post pictures/websites on how to build your own computer (there's a lot of step by step guides out there with pictures...)

I was looking around on the cyberpowerpc website and for $1300, you would get a computer that's at least 2-3 tiers below what you would get from building it yourself. basically meaning it would perform like *** compared to building it yourself. (and definitely won't be able to play games at 1080p at a decent setting/fps now or in the future especially if you're buying a monitor,keyboard, and mouse with it...)

m
l
August 21, 2012 10:48:05 PM

I really don't know if I'd be capable or not with my knowledge of computer parts unless it's much easier than I expect. However I do know of a place where I think I can pay someone to build a computer for me if I supply them with all of the parts. So if there is anyone who would be nice enough to direct me to or supply me with a list of parts I would need for my budget and desires, it would be very much appreciated.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:49:15 PM

You can make such a better computer yourself at that price.

And why in the world would you have 2 640's? I don't think they even SLI? And a B75 motherboard wouldn't overclock the K processor, rendering the 3570K useless.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 10:55:56 PM

Stompinpangin said:
I really don't know if I'd be capable or not with my knowledge of computer parts unless it's much easier than I expect. However I do know of a place where I think I can pay someone to build a computer for me if I supply them with all of the parts. So if there is anyone who would be nice enough to direct me to or supply me with a list of parts I would need for my budget and desires, it would be very much appreciated.

Getting someone to put together your PC is fine. (as long as they don't charge more than $60 to do so... I usually charge $50 for putting someone's computer together... literally takes 1-2 hours at most...)

Since he's most likely not going to overclock anything, not going with k processor and going with a pre-overclocked GPU... and not getting Z77 motherboard...

And ditching the SSD (since it would require manual management of installations...)

m
l
August 21, 2012 10:56:17 PM

Stompinpangin said:

Where do you live? If you live in a city with a good local shop we can price out and list the parts for you and usually the local shop will assemble the PC for a pretty small fee (about $50) as long as you're buying the parts from them.
m
l
August 21, 2012 10:58:43 PM

Well, I live in Fort Smith Arkansas, a town which only really has a BestBuy for electronics and stuff. I'm not sure I they woul have all of the parts for a computer, but I think you can pay them to assemble a computer for you, though it's pretty expensive. The worker at Best Buy told me, though, that a local electronics repair store called Gadget Grave could fix me up for a smaller price, but I need to go there and ask them before I just go ordering everything.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 11:04:39 PM

Well you can order the parts online, and if you dont feel like making it yourself, you can take it to someone other than Best Buy in the town who is pretty good at computers. Craigslist might have some ads.
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:06:13 PM

Stompinpangin said:

Yeah, I'm almost done parting one together. Also, it really doesn't take a lot of know-how to assemble a computer (especially when you've got guides telling you what to do).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($66.79 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer S211HLbd 21.5" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.72 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Razer Arctosa Wired Standard Keyboard ($40.24 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Laser Mouse ($55.21 @ eCost)
Total: $1259.86
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 18:56 EDT-0400)

As with any build, this comes with a lot of caveats - this is what I would do in your situation, but I'm also familiar with overclocking and the like. There are a lot of parts that can be exchanged (swapping out unlocked CPUs for locked ones, H77 mobo, etc) to lower the price or suit your tastes better.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 11:06:51 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgTk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgTk/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgTk/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($97.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($63.99 @ Best Buy)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.72 @ Amazon)
Total: $1217.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 19:06 EDT-0400)

mousseng said:
Yeah, I'm almost done parting one together. Also, it really doesn't take a lot of know-how to assemble a computer (especially when you've got guides telling you what to do).

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1259.86
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 18:56 EDT-0400)

As with any build, this comes with a lot of caveats - this is what I would do in your situation, but I'm also familiar with overclocking and the like. There are a lot of parts that can be exchanged (swapping out unlocked CPUs for locked ones, H77 mobo, etc) to lower the price or suit your tastes better.

I literally just assumed he's not going to overclock anything and pumped all the extra money into the GPU and bigger monitor. And mice/keyboard is more of personal preference... might as well as let him go to the store first to try some out to see which one he likes best...

Don't see the point of a Full ATX tower unless you're going full watercooling :/  mid tower cases are more than enough...
August 21, 2012 11:24:56 PM

killerhurtalot said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgTk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgTk/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fgTk/benchmarks/

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($63.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1217.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 19:06 EDT-0400)

I literally just assumed he's not going to overclock anything and pumped all the extra money into the GPU and bigger monitor. And mice/keyboard is more of personal preference... might as well as let him go to the store first to try some out to see which one he likes best...

Don't see the point of a Full ATX tower unless you're going full watercooling :/  mid tower cases are more than enough...

Thanks for taking the time to assemble this. I was looking over it and noticed it says 500w power supply. Will that be enough? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it recommended to have at least 800w for a gaming computer and nice video card?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 21, 2012 11:37:35 PM

Stompinpangin said:
Thanks for taking the time to assemble this. I was looking over it and noticed it says 500w power supply. Will that be enough? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it recommended to have at least 800w for a gaming computer and nice video card?

Nope... 800w is only if you're doing heavy overclocking AND getting two graphic high end cards. I guess i probably should do a bit over 500w for a bit more headroom from PSU degradation in the future...

Changed it to a 550w psu.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fh4u
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fh4u/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fh4u/benchmarks/

Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V Power Supply ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1211.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 19:35 EDT-0400)

But ya. you can take his build, cut out the chasis for something cheaper, change the cpu/motherboard to locked versions, and get a bigger HDD, GPU, etc...

Everyone's got their own preferences when building stuff.
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:45:00 PM

killerhurtalot said:

Right, but I also mentioned that that list was based off of what I would do (hence Razer peripherals, full tower, OC setup) - I wasn't going to make any assumptions. But you do make some good points - if he likes the Phantom, but doesn't want the massive size, the Phantom 410 is perfect ($20 cheaper, mid-tower).

Stompinpangin said:

500W will be enough, but I take issue with Corsair's CX-V2 series (which is what that PSU is). As inefficient as it is, though, it will be enough to power a GTX 670 and i5. There's no set 'wattage recommendation' for a 'gaming computer' as 'gaming computer' is a HUGE spectrum of hardware configurations.

I'll also adjust the list I posted above, this time with the wisdom killer provided:

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1263.43
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-21 19:43 EDT-0400)

There's still more things you can adjust - we're not mindreaders, remember. I really like NZXT's Phantom cases, because (unlike what recent System Builder Marathons would have you believe) quality cases are important, as well as aesthetics. Sure, they take a backseat to performance, but with a budget like yours, that extra performance you'll get from cutting back on the case won't be noticeable. Like we said before, keyboard and mouse are personal preference - I left those in there as a sort of 'gauge' for myself to leave you enough room to get quality bits and bobs that you like.
m
l
August 21, 2012 11:56:07 PM

Okay. And do you think that it would be better to order everything from separate websites like this or to try to get it all on one website to cut shipping costs? That is, of course, only unless all products get free shipping from their respective sites. And if this is really ALL I need, and you think it will perform well for gaming (high or ultra settings on most games), I think I will trust your decisions and get these things instead.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 22, 2012 12:00:29 AM

Stompinpangin said:
Okay. And do you think that it would be better to order everything from separate websites like this or to try to get it all on one website to cut shipping costs? That is, of course, only unless all products get free shipping from their respective sites. And if this is really ALL I need, and you think it will perform well for gaming (high or ultra settings on most games), I think I will trust your decisions and get these things instead.

With a GTX 670 or 7950 and that processor, you can max out everything (ultra setting w/ high AA/AF/Tesselation) at well above 30+ fps (a lot of them would be over 60 fps) at 1080p.

I personally try to buy everything from one website since shipping is generally a couple bucks cheaper (and also avoid tax too depending on where you live cause that's a good chunk of money when spending $1000+)
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:09:34 AM

If I recall correctly, Newegg (as well as most of these other retailers) don't combine shipping, so go for wherever has the lowest price (typically Newegg and NCIX, occasionally Amazon). Speaking of which, I should really remove SuperBiiz from my merchant list, since they never list shipping prices.

On performance, don't take our word for it:

Gaming benchmarks for the Radeon 7950 (including the specific model I picked) (there's also a GTX 670 in there)
Tom's Hardware's best gaming CPU for $200 goes to the i5-3450, which is slower than the i5-3550 (a little).

Edit: I should add that those PCPartPicker lists are more like guidelines - they list the "cheapest" price, but that often isn't the whole story. Clicking on the component links will give you a list of prices, shipping, and promotionals - I tend to try to get the best deals at Newegg, NCIX, and Amazon (highly reputable retailers) over others. Some places don't list shipping, either, which will lower the part's total cost (as PCPP assumes it's free).
m
l
August 22, 2012 12:15:48 AM

Alrighty then. I will think on this. Thank you all so much for your feedback and for listening. You very well saved me from making a stupid purchase apparently, and saved me around 200 dollars. I really, REALLY appreciate you all. Thanks!
m
l
September 5, 2012 1:14:12 AM

Best answer selected by StompinPangin.
m
l
!