kamehouse

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012
In your opinion tell me what graphics card is better, the amd radeon 7970 or the geforce gtx 690. Freely explain your opinion and also give some proof in either videos or articles which persuaded you into thinking one or the other is better. i am not talking about any price or anything, i am talking about quality.

Well, obviously the GTX690 is faster, but its also $1000. I'd rather have the 7970 for it is a better all around performer. And when I say all around, I mean its really good for gaming, but it also works better than the 6xx series cards in terms of video rendering and such.

Of course, if you are a solely video renderer, then go for a workstation card, but if you game as well I can't help but recommend the 7970.

But in terms of just flat out price-no-object cards, the 690 is obviously the quickest.

Even then, I would recommend 2 680's. Or even 1 680.

You shouldn't be comparing those two cards at all.

GTX 690 -> is roughly equivalent to -> HD 7990 (doesn't exist yet)
GTX 680 -> HD 7970 Ghz edition
GTS 670 -> HD 7970
GTS 660 Ti -> HD 7950

have fun!

Although I suspect you meant the GTX 680, in terms of quality, Nvidia broke the bank to create the GTX 690. Everything uses the highest quality components and there is no plastic used at all.

"NVIDIA has replaced virtually every bit of plastic with metal for aesthetic/perceptual purposes. The basic shroud is composed of casted aluminum while the fan housing is made out of injection molded magnesium. In fact the only place you’ll find plastics on the shroud is on the polycarbonate windows over the heatsinks, which allows you to see the heatsinks just because."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5805/nvidia-geforce-gtx-690-review-ultra-expensive-ultra-rare-ultra-fast/2

Now a word of advice, if you did mean the GTX 680, be prepared for another long back and forth over which card is better. The bottom line is "it depends on the game" and whether or not you subjectvely place any value in the few things that set them apart. Another word of advice, don't trust blanket statements and don't trust claims made with no evidence offered to back them up.

Oh, here's my evidence that it depends on the game:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/asus-geforce-gtx-680-msi-radeon-hd7970_9.html#sect0

Quote:
"Judging by these tests, neither card is better. The ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP in faster in the three semi-synthetic benchmarks as well as in Just Cause 2, Lost Planet 2, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2, Hard Reset. It is also a little ahead in Batman: Arkham City and Battlefield 3. In its turn, the MSI R7970 Lightning beats the opponent in Metro 2033: The Last Refuge, Aliens vs. Predator (2010), Sid Meier's Civilization V, Total War: Shogun 2 and DiRT Showdown. The two graphics cards are equals in the remaining three games on our list."

20_as68-vs-msi797_big.png

TRENDING THREADS