Solved

I need Something but I am not sure what exactly.

Hi my name is Chase and I am looking for a new something, I am not sure. With the current setup i have, I need to turn settings on all low as possible and on 800x600 @ 56 hz to run the my game Grand Theft Auto 4 smoothly. With the lowest possible settings it is still a bit choppy when driving at high speeds. I would just like to put the settings up to medium to high and on 1280x800 @ 60hz or around there with it running smoothly all the time. Basicly i want my computer to run the game like an Xbox 360 would. Here is My current setup:

Cpu: Amd Phenom II x2 560 Black Edition unlocked to an Amd Phenom II x4 B60
Mainboard: Asus M4n68t-m v2
Ram: 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Graphics: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4550
Hard Drive: 500gb Western Digtial 7200rpm

Whats wrong?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about exactly
  1. Your video card is probably the most glaring deficiency in terms of gaming performance. The HD4550 is a good basic use video card, but really isn't up to snuff in terms of gaming requirements.

What is your budget for any potential upgrades?
  2. Id like to keep it under 150 us.
  3. What make/model of power supply are you using now? We need to know to ensure any video card upgrade can be powered properly.
  4. XION 450 Watt ATX Power Supply (Model : LC-8460BTX)
  5. You really need to replace that PSU when you add a GPU. I would suggest the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

Comes it very close to your budget after rebates and shipping. The performance increase would be huge.

Good luck!
  6. Best answer
  7. Someone Somewhere said:

This recommended PSU will barely meet the needs of the total system. It will work, but offers no head space for additional upgrades. Just something to keep in mind.

Great GPU recommendation, though.
  8. Those recommendations are full of padding though, for things like crap PSUs, someone using a 3930k in the same box as a 7770. The CX430 will be enough.
  9. Someone Somewhere said:
    Those recommendations are full of padding though, for things like crap PSUs, someone using a 3930k in the same box as a 7770. The CX430 will be enough.

True (padding estimates), but having some margin for growth is always a good idea. Just a consideration, not a criticism.
  10. ok Well i went out to best buy yesterday and got the same video card you recomended and got a diffrent psu, its a 550 watt and man i can tell a huge diffrence. Just one question, my old video card was a 1 GB and so is this one. What makes the diffrence?
  11. Best answer selected by cherokee714.
  12. The fact that the new video card has more shaders and a higher clock rate. Basically it has more bits that do the rendering and each of them does it faster.
  13. Someone Somewhere said:
    The fact that the new video card has more shaders and a higher clock rate. Basically it has more bits that do the rendering and each of them does it faster.

Good answer!
  14. well ty everyone
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product