Sign in with
Your question

Electric current trogh my pc case

Last response: in Components
February 27, 2013 1:36:43 PM

Hi I have a really weak barely niticable electric current over my case. I can only feel it on the back of the case (not on the top or the sides) and where it is a small scratch on the paint. I can't feel it with my hand only if I rub my lips I can feel a small tickling ont that's only when the pc is plugged in if I turn of my PSU I can still feel it. I noticed this more than a year from now and the pc runs fine but should I be worried by this?
February 27, 2013 3:57:32 PM

You should definitely be concerned, it means that your PC is not grounded. I recommend that you plug it into a grounded outlet or install one if you don't have any. It's very risky to run it like this, especially since you could shock yourself or you could damage sensitive hardware.
February 27, 2013 4:00:52 PM

Go get one of those inexpensive testers you plug in the outlet with 3 lights/LEDs. They will indicate if there is a wiring issue and the cost less than $10.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 4:04:30 PM

why were you rubbing your lips on the back of your pc???????????????????
February 27, 2013 4:06:21 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
why were you rubbing your lips on the back of your pc???????????????????

because I got static from my pc I I decided to check if there is something and as it turns out it is.
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 4:10:07 PM

rubbing your lips on something to see if its working

:??: 

not even going there ;) 
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 4:18:35 PM

Good thing it wasn't the HOT AC (ie statesside = 120VAC). If it was your wife/girlfriend would be kissing bare teeth as lips would have vanished in a puff of smoke.
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 4:28:28 PM

open the case and see whats leaking current. sounds like your motherboard or a power lead is earthing against the chassis.
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 4:37:57 PM

^ If the system was properly grounded, and a power lead is shorted to the case - his problem would not be a "Hot" case, it would be a burning small
February 27, 2013 4:53:38 PM

HEXiT said:
open the case and see whats leaking current. sounds like your motherboard or a power lead is earthing against the chassis.

I checked this before posting. Everything seems perfectly fine.
!