Sign in with
Your question

Keeping Intel GMA 3000 or not

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2012 12:12:36 AM

Hey guys.

One week ago I bought a laptop with these specs:

CPU: Intel i3-2350M, 2.30Ghz (I think it has 2 cores, 4 threads)
RAM: 6Gb
Graphics Card: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000
HDD: 500Gb

I'm not sure if I should return this laptop and buy another one with a better graphics card. I'm not into gaming, I won't play at all but I do a lot of watching live video tv (you know, those live streamings to watch sports, and maybe movies too).

What do you guys think? Will it be enough with those specs?

So far, I've been testing the laptop by watching several football (soccer) matches. I'm able to watch even the HD streams but after some minutes (maybe 10 or 15) it uses to get slower (I mean: first I get some minutes of fluent video, then some seconds of something that looks like a powerpoint presentation of pictures, and then video again for some seconds, and then pictures again....). That happens with almost every stream... always after some minutes of great (in terms of quality and fluency) reception.

I hope you guys can help me with your opinions, because I just have some days to think about returning it or keeping it.

Thank you all, and sorry for my bad english.

More about : keeping intel gma 3000

August 22, 2012 12:16:25 AM

Well if your seeing a slow down get a laptop with a better graphics card. Are you sure that the problem is not your connection?
August 22, 2012 12:25:14 AM

Thank you Patflute.

I'm almost sure the problem is not my connection, because I have 12 Mbps and I've used a software to check how many kb I'm downloading. It's far away from the connection limit.

What puzzles me the most is why the slow down appears after some minutes of great watching? If the card couldn't handle those videos, I would get bad reception from the very beginning, wouldn't I?

Thanks again.
a c 359 U Graphics card
a c 439 D Laptop
a c 115 å Intel
August 22, 2012 1:13:37 AM

If you can provide a link to a site with free HD content I could test how well the Intel HD 3000 handles HD content on my laptop. I've searched on Youtube for some HD content, but they were all relatively short; around 4 - 6 minutes.
!