MrBlu3

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Hey all. I've had an MSI GTX 460 for about a year now but now I'm facing a problem with it. At seemingly random times the driver crashes and recovers. However sometimes it does not recover and everything just freezes and my computer needs a complete restart. Sometimes it can happen every 10 minutes, and sometimes it can crash a few times in a row. If I try to play any games the computer just freezes completely. I'm using the latest non-beta drivers from Nvidia, but I have tried the betas with no luck. I have just completely re-installed Windows 7 out of frustration but the problem is still there. One thing that may be important is that the other day I was plugging a monitor into the dvi connecter and I'm sure I saw a tiny blue flash of electric or something jump between the two when they touched. Could my card be damaged from plugging the monitor in? I'm not sure as that was two days ago and I've been playing games and everything fine until now, and I haven't made any changes recently either, I just turned on today and all these problems started. Please could you help? I don't have enough money for a new graphics card so I really need to fix this. Thank you.

Matt.

My specs:

MSI GTX 460 Cyclone (Factory OC)
i5 2500k @ 4.0 Ghz
MSI P67A GD53
Corsair TX650w

P.S All temperatures are no higher than what they usually are now (40 CPU, 40 GPU), though there have been a lot of hot days recently and they may have gotten slightly hotter.

MrBlu3

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Bump. Now the problem is getting serious. I log on this morning and I've got a tiny resoution with like 8 bit colors or something. I looked at device manager and it says "Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems". Please help!

MrBlu3

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
I think it is dead :( I took it out, I'm pretty sure the graphics card is the only problem, the rest of the system is fine. I can borrow a friends cheap one in the meantime. It seems odd though, I thought the average life of a card is like 3 years+ if not 5+? I've only had it for a year, I've never overclocked it past the factory OC, and all I play is Minecraft, WoW, and Battlefield 3 occasionally. I guess I'll have to wait for the 660 whenever that comes out. Thanks for the help. :)