Sign in with
Your question

Buying first "gaming" PC. is this a good choice3?

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2012 4:23:25 PM

Hey all,
so I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to computer hardware and the super technical stuff so I would like to know your opinion about this slightly "customized" Prebuild setup.
I live in canada, so I will be ordering from NCIX.com, i used one of their pre build mid range set ups and slightly added/removed some unessecary features to cut down cost. I will only order from this site because their store is in my city so i can save the shipping trouble.

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: Under 1000 after taxes(preferred) excluding monitor, human input devices

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mainly low to mid level gaming, everyday home use

Are you buying a monitor: dont know yet we have a few here at home

Parts to Upgrade: none

Do you need to buy OS: Dont think so i have a windows ultimate edition

Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard. OEM license? can someone please explain what that means?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts ncix.com

Parts Preferences: none, as long as it works and i can play troubleless

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: dont know yet, nothing too big/fancy though

Additional Comments: The only thing that I really want out of this machine is to be able to play BF3 on at least low-medium settings, and that i am able to play other games smoothly (World of Tanks, Fallout 3 series, Medieval Total war, crysis 2). I am not a Hardcore gamer that needs/wants to max out every game, I just want a Rig that will reliably run games at Medium settings without trouble.

Specs:
1 x Intel Core i5 3450 Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.1GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
1 x Please Use The Heatsink Included With My CPU -NOT Available With OEM Processors
1 x MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 3PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI VGA DX11 USB3.0 Motherboard
1 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V Dual Channel Memory
1 x XFX Radeon HD 6870 Dual Fan 900MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI 2x Mini Display Port P *IR-$15.00*
1 x Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS TOP USB2.0 1394 Audio
1 x XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU
1 x Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM
1 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x D-LINK DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N Triple Antenna PCI Adapter
1 x PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)

COST is: $977.48 after Taxes

If there is a cheaper option for me to reach my goals from the same website please let me know, I am all ears. And again nothing too fancy, the games I play dont have to be maxed out, I am more than happy with Med to High settings alone.
Thank you for your input guys, greatly appreciated.
Dan

October 15, 2012 4:49:10 PM

For what you describe, this system seems fairly adequate.

I'm not familiar with ncix.com, but my only recommendations would be: consider a fairly affordable system disk SSD, and maybe use a different PSU company like corsair. I've only ever owned XFX graphics cards, not power supplies so I can't vouch for them.

Not sure how much they charge to build it, but it would be a cool project if you did it yourself instead, and might be able to shave some money off that cost.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 6:35:44 PM

Your build looks good, except i'd get a 7850 over the 6870 if it were me
m
l
October 15, 2012 6:38:07 PM

I would say go for a 7850 over a 6870 like stated above, and you don't need a Z77 motherboard for that build. A H77 should do.
m
l
October 15, 2012 6:59:24 PM

I was gonna recommend a Z75 but yea they are both the same
m
l
October 17, 2012 4:45:20 PM

Thanks for the replyeveryone. I was also thinkng if i should get a laptop instead, i wouldnt mind the mobility. I dont want a high end one because of the cost. But i found one that has a medium level card that will run most of the games i play just fine, but could this one run bf3 on low settings? If not no big deal just wondering
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=65174&vpn=K53SV-DH51&manu...
m
l
October 17, 2012 4:58:04 PM

idontknowaname said:
Thanks for the replyeveryone. I was also thinkng if i should get a laptop instead, i wouldnt mind the mobility. I dont want a high end one because of the cost. But i found one that has a medium level card that will run most of the games i play just fine, but could this one run bf3 on low settings? If not no big deal just wondering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtCe2u77-ts&feature=yout...

Wrong link man.
m
l
October 17, 2012 5:29:02 PM

Rockdpm said:
Wrong link man.

LOLOLOLOLOL OMG srry about that. I was on my POS tablet, god i hate that thing. It didn't copy that new link.

K fixed it now.
m
l
October 17, 2012 5:36:25 PM

That should play games but...I don't think you will ever get the gaming experience of a laptop the way you will of a desktop.
m
l
October 17, 2012 5:50:21 PM

could they run bf3 too maybe on low settings?
also i know a desktop will be better than a laptop in gaming, but I dont need a high end gaming PC and since I am on a budget a medium/higher end laptop is just the smarter choice for me atm
m
l
October 17, 2012 7:24:32 PM

Yea should handle BF3 on low/mid mixed settings
m
l
September 23, 2013 8:07:54 AM

Dont get a 750W psu for this build!! You will get lower efficiency.. You would max consume less than 300W on load..
Get this one, Im also getting it because other helpful Tom's Hardware guys recommended it and it's got solid reviews .. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550s...

m
l
!