Corsair dominator 199.98 tech next day
I7 3770k 3.5 GHz £247.98 amazon
Corsair 1200i psu £204.98 amazon
Evga GTX 680 4096mb £462 scan computer
Coolmaster Cosmos 2 £269.99 overclocker
Western Hard drive 3tb £129.84 kikatek
Cd/dvd driver £20
Water cooling £300

Question: This pc will be used for solidworks (cad/cam) rendering/Video rendering in 1080p, possibly 4k in the future.
Normal day to day stuff, gaming. Adobe photoshop etc... Basically performance type of software will be constantly used

Hackintosh will be loaded, microsoft 8 and linux.

Question: We want to watercool cpu/gpu/ram
Anyone have any advice of building a watercooling system. Whats the chances of it leaking?
What are the parts we need to complete a water cooling build. Btw As the budget says £300 could be pushed to £500
October 15, 2012 6:46:04 PM

I would recommend the Radeon HD79xx series, as they are better for rendering and GPGPU work. The Nvidia GTX 6xx is better for gaming at some prices.

I have no idea about watercooling though. I have a waterblock on my processor, but I got it for free.
October 18, 2012 1:41:41 PM

AMD Gpu's are not compatible with hackintosh (mac)

Anyone help with watercooling the main too watercooling blocks are by
WATERCOOL HEATKILLER GPU-X³ GTX 680 Hole
Aqua Computer AquagraFX - GTX 680 Water Block 23535
EK FC680 GTX+ CSQ Full Cover Waterblock for Reference Design

Not sure if there are better ones?

Whats the best watercooling block for the cpu?
Related resources
October 18, 2012 2:18:35 PM

I thought it was AMD CPUs that don't work with Hackintosh. You can get macs with AMD Radeon GPUs in them.

For watercooling you should probably go to the Watercooling forum. I can't tell you much other than that you'd have to be an idiot to buy closed loop cooling as it underperforms & is overpriced. Actual custom loop coolers are good, though expensive.

1200W is massively overkill unless you're doing something like 4-way SLI.

You could get a 3930k instead of the 3770k and get a X79 mobo. ROG is overkill though.
October 18, 2012 2:50:03 PM

Quote:

When I have the money will get a the latest nvidia quadro for rendering. There around the 600watt region
the 680 is temporary until we get the $
Plus the rig will be used for prototyping in solidworks/video editing etc.. Need the juice

Will be using for product Design, practically everything that requires power so...
October 18, 2012 3:21:33 PM

jjssj said:
Asus Maximus extreme £279.99 amazon
Corsair dominator 199.98 tech next day
I7 3770k 3.5 GHz £247.98 amazon
Corsair 1200i psu £204.98 amazon
Evga GTX 680 4096mb £462 scan computer
Coolmaster Cosmos 2 £269.99 overclocker
Western Hard drive 3tb £129.84 kikatek
Cd/dvd driver £20
Water cooling £300

Question: This pc will be used for solidworks (cad/cam) rendering/Video rendering in 1080p, possibly 4k in the future.
Normal day to day stuff, gaming. Adobe photoshop etc... Basically performance type of software will be constantly used

Hackintosh will be loaded, microsoft 8 and linux.

Question: We want to watercool cpu/gpu/ram
Anyone have any advice of building a watercooling system. Whats the chances of it leaking?
What are the parts we need to complete a water cooling build. Btw As the budget says £300 could be pushed to £500

much better build. everything in your build is a waste almost

-gigabyte boards are better for hackintoshing
-the MVE is useless other than for extreme benchmarks. for gaming you are better off with a regular board
-the 7970 is a better option
-the cosmos 2 is a bad watercooling case. a switch 810 is a way better option
-large hard drives arent that useful. get 3 so that you can dedicate each one for a different OS
-watercooling will cost you well over 300 pounds
- no need for a large power supply
-you need a sound card so that you can enjoy your games better. its necessary
-120hz monitor to enjoy all the fps that the 7970s provides

heres pretty much the ultimate build
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/kGc6
October 19, 2012 1:42:27 AM

Sound cards are pointless, and note that he's not gaming so doesn't need a 120Hz screen. A 2560x1600 screen would probably be a good idea though.

If he needs CUDA support then a 7970 won't work.

1200w is overkill even when using a Quadro card. According to nVidia the TDP is 204W. The 680's TDP is 195W. As such, you could run Quad SLI on that PSU easily, about 800w for GPUs and 400W for the rest of the system, which is enough
October 19, 2012 2:26:50 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
Sound cards are pointless, and note that he's not gaming so doesn't need a 120Hz screen. A 2560x1600 screen would probably be a good idea though.

If he needs CUDA support then a 7970 won't work.

1200w is overkill even when using a Quadro card. According to nVidia the TDP is 204W. The 680's TDP is 195W. As such, you could run Quad SLI on that PSU easily, about 800w for GPUs and 400W for the rest of the system, which is enough

i see the words gaming.

quad SLI is useless unless you are to set a benchmark record. it leaves you no room for expandability and there is very little performance gains with 3 vs 4 cards. gaming only requires 2

and most programs support OpenGl/CL so 7970s are usually fine.
October 19, 2012 2:35:46 AM

Yes but I'm using the Quad SLI as an example for why he doesn't need 1200W. He could run the entire build with two Quadro cards on a good 800W.

As far as I can see gaming isn't the main purpose. Plus getting a new monitor cuts into the rest of the budget; especially if it's 120Hz or 1440p. OP, what monitor do you currently have
October 20, 2012 5:14:00 PM

Quote:
I thought it was AMD CPUs that don't work with Hackintosh. You can get macs with AMD Radeon GPUs in them.

For watercooling you should probably go to the Watercooling forum. I can't tell you much other than that you'd have to be an idiot to buy closed loop cooling as it underperforms & is overpriced. Actual custom loop coolers are good, though expensive.

You could get a 3930k instead of the 3770k and get a X79 mobo. ROG is overkill though.

3930k is the old sandybridge best get a mobo/cpu that is up to date.
1200w psu We already got one

Dell u2312hm ------60hz @ 1080p this is fine at the moment until we have quadro
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO...

much better build. everything in your build is a waste almost

Quote:

-gigabyte boards are better for hackintoshing
-the MVE is useless other than for extreme benchmarks. for gaming you are better off with a regular board
-the 7970 is a better option
-the cosmos 2 is a bad watercooling case. a switch 810 is a way better option
-large hard drives arent that useful. get 3 so that you can dedicate each one for a different OS
-watercooling will cost you well over 300 pounds
- no need for a large power supply
-you need a sound card so that you can enjoy your games better. its necessary
-120hz monitor to enjoy all the fps that the 7970s provides

gigabyte boards seem to be less reliable than asus mobo's
Looking at amd 7970 ghz edition
No sound card needed- with the MVE

Quote:
i see the words gaming.

quad SLI is useless unless you are to set a benchmark record. it leaves you no room for expandability and there is very little performance gains with 3 vs 4 cards. gaming only requires 2

and most programs support OpenGl/CL so 7970s are usually fine.

It will be used for RTS games like the total war series, first person shooters and beat em ups. Like now and then (once a week)
But majority of the time is will be used for; web/c/c++ coding, matlab, engineering (Computational fluid dynamics run for long periods of time--- takes alot of juice, hence the reason for a large psu) Solidworks, Adobe Photoshop/Autodesk/waccom intous 5 for product design.
We are a small startup company designing the ultimate pet products for cats/dogs/small animals and this pc will be the horse power.

Pc will not be switched off ever. There will always be programs running, either pushing mass emails Black hat tools like xrumer, social media marketing tools. Computational Fluid Dyanmics

I should of made myself more clear this will be a workstation not a gaming pc, but at the end of the day when the team get together , we can easily hook it up to the 50" led monitor and play a game.

So we will have a standard gpu for know then as and when we can afford a workstation gpu, the other will be off unless/when we play games.

Like I said psu needs to be high as it will be on 24/7 ---- watercooling again its going to be on all the time,
We want the i7 3770k to be pushed to 4.5ghz -4.7ghz

October 20, 2012 8:15:32 PM

well if you dont use a gigabyte motherboard, you can easily run into issues like LAN not working and all that mumbo jumbo. and i dont know where you are getting those numbers about gigabyte being worse.

dont bother with a MVE. its only really good for rigs where you do record benching and pure overclocking. and the MVE doesnt have the great onboard audio. its just the regular ALC898 that is found on all motherboards

if its a workstation, it makes no sense to get a MVE. workstations usually only have one quadro card and that is it

and you should be running a workstation card like a quadro 4000.

a 3930k is better for workstations since it has more threads. if you are doing things on a app that requires mostly single threaded tasks, the 3770k makes sense. but otherwise, the 3930k is a better option
October 20, 2012 10:01:02 PM

Quote:
well if you don't use a gigabyte motherboard, you can easily run into issues like LAN not working and all that mumbo jumbo. and I don't know where you are getting those numbers about gigabyte being worse.

Don't bother with a MVE. its only really good for rigs where you do record benching and pure overclocking. and the MVE doesn't have the great onboard audio. its just the regular ALC898 that is found on all motherboards

if its a workstation, it makes no sense to get a MVE. workstations usually only have one Quadro card and that is it and you should be running a workstation card like a quadro 4000.

A 3930k is better for workstations since it has more threads. if you are doing things on a app that requires mostly single threaded tasks, the 3770k makes sense. but otherwise, the 3930k is a better option

Thanks for the information, I 100% agree, however as this a new build that we would like to upgrade, I believe going with a ivybridge system will allows for upgrade's. The 3770k @4.5ghz will be more than enough, until we can afford the quadro 6000.

What do you think?
Intel should release an upgrade to 3770K.
October 20, 2012 10:17:59 PM

Nope, the 3770K is the fastest CPU that will EVER use LGA1155. LGA2011 will have IB-E out supposedly Q3-13 that will significantly outperform a 3930K.

Plus the 3930K is about half again as powerful as the 3770k and overclocks better IIRC.
October 20, 2012 10:20:33 PM

socket 1155 is ending. in the future for haswell, they will be using the 1150 socket which will not be compatable with 1155 boards. so no upgrades

there will be no upgrades to the 3770k

and dont get the quadro 6000. the 5000 performs pretty close but costs half the price. and even then nvidia is releasing their kepler quadro cards which apparantly would give you up to 50% more performance. they are coming out in decemeber or later
October 20, 2012 10:21:31 PM

the 3930k is more powerful than the i7 3770k. the 3770k barely beats the 3930k in single threaded tasks since they use the same arcitecture but the ivy bridge just has a bit more transistors
!