Sign in with
Your question

Recomandation for a photoshop computer

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2012 7:08:52 PM

It has been a while since i built my last computer.
And I am thinking about what to buy and what I need.
I am going to use it most to work in photoshop, and perhaps do some light gaming.

My largest concerns are finding good memory that matches the motherboard, and how big power supply I need for the system.

I am thinking about something like this:

For the cpu I am thinking: IntelĀ® Core i7-3770K Processor

For the motherboard I was looking at : ASUS P8Z77-V LE, Socket-1155
ATX, Z77, DDR3, 1xG3+1xG2-PCIe-x16, CFX, VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP, UEFI
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

The graphic card I was thinking about the ASUS GeForce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA

The next question that I have heard from friends are that it is important to find memory that will match the motherboard, if not you will be in trouble. I am thinking about adding 16gb ram (memory) to the computer.

I was thinking about for example
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1600Mhz DDR3 16GB 16GB kit(4GBx4),Tactical, 1600Mhz, 1.5V, CL8-8-8-24
Or perhaps Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240

Will these memory kits work on my motherboard? Or should I look into some other ones?

For the main hardrive I will go with an SSD disk was thinking about
OCZ SSD Vertex 4 Series 2.5" 128GB
SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 560MB/430MB/s read/write, Indilinx Everest 2

The last thing I am wondering about is, how large a power supply do I need? I am thinking about adding a few internal hard drives, and some external hard drives aswell.
If you got some inputs her, I would love to hear them.

October 15, 2012 7:20:29 PM

I tend to lean to Corsair for memory and that kit should be fine, although you could get 2*8GB sticks and upgrade to 32 in the future. I would stay away from OCZ as they are having serious financial issues. Go with a Samsung SSD 830. A 620w modular power supply from Seasonic should fit the bill.
October 15, 2012 7:25:07 PM

Tell us more about your current monitor if you plan on keeping it. The LCD is more important than CPU, RAM, or SSD in a balanced Graphics Arts Workstation. Smart idea to purchase a CUDA capable graphics card to take advantage of Adobe CS6.
Related resources
October 15, 2012 7:31:03 PM

if you purchase RAM, SSD, and CPU that is 20% lower spec and 20% cheaper than those that you mentioned, the difference in Photoshop would almost be imperceptible. Whereas a fancy new monitor would impact every Photoshop session in a big way. A fancy new LCD can let you see colors impossible before. Or spend less on CPU/Cooler/PSU and get a used Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet too.
October 15, 2012 7:32:58 PM

two7unsuited said:
Tell us more about your current monitor if you plan on keeping it. The LCD is more important than CPU, RAM, or SSD in a balanced Graphics Arts Workstation. Smart idea to purchase a CUDA capable graphics card to take advantage of Adobe CS6.

My current monitor is not a monitor for the future, but I will stick to it at the moment. Its an old dell 19 lcd, but its calibrated with xrite calibrator every 1 of the month, so the colors should be okey. My second screen is just an old hp 19 lcd.

The hardware is not just for photoshop, but I will say that I tend to bring much time taking pictures and play in Photoshop. Its only because i like it, its not my day job.

So my concern is if the memory match the motherboard, (had a friend who got problems when he bought memory and new motherboard) .

And also how large the power supply should be..

Do you think the grapich card i have choosen is okey?
October 15, 2012 7:38:16 PM

two7unsuited said:
if you purchase RAM, SSD, and CPU that is 20% lower spec and 20% cheaper than those that you mentioned, the difference in Photoshop would almost be imperceptible. Whereas a fancy new monitor would impact every Photoshop session in a big way. A fancy new LCD can let you see colors impossible before. Or spend less on CPU/Cooler/PSU and get a used Wacom Intuos 3 graphics tablet too.

I think i will go with the ram and cpu just because when I first upgrade I upgrade. The screen i can take in the next step. Any recomandation for a good lcd screen?
!