AMD Price cuts for 7950, 7870 and 7850

Well I am not sure if this is discussed already or not, but this may interest you somewhat.

http://www.techpowerup.com/170821/AMD-Readies-New-Round-of-Radeon-HD-7000-Series-Price-Cuts.html

It quickly means

7950 from $349 to $319
7870 from $299 to $249
7850 2GB from $249 to $209
7850 1GB from $234 (?) to $189

So what do you think guys?

In my opinion, this is good for us because now we have AMD cards at cheaper price. Now they are more competitive against the 660 Ti :).

Honestly, if you think about it, these is (maybe...) the proper prices for the 7950 and the 7870 (the 7850 prices might also be lowered when 650 Ti or 660 comes out!). So in the last few months, AMD makes big profit with the sales of the 7950 and the 7870.

So I don't think it's like NVidia Geforce Kicked AMD Radeon in today's generation, but AMD was trolling and playing with prices before Kepler comes out haha :lol:.

But I don't think AMD should do this next time, because this means that they are reactive to NVidia prices, not that they are dictating the Prices (which I think they should). I think this is some rubbish strategy :).

What do you think? :lol:

since when were 7850's normally standard at 209$? thats the only price on the page which i find questionable.

though if 7850's do go for 189$, it will probably be one of the best value cards per $ in a long time.

edit: realized that was the 1 gb version which is a bit rare. though 209 isnt bad, still alot of value

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

The true troll is Nvidia..
Their new architecture is so strong, so strong, that their mid range card was fighting AMD top card (GK104 chipset that equips the GTx 680 meant to be the mid range)
There were selling the GK104 chipset (supposed to occupy the $200~$250) for $500 (GTX 680), $400 (GTX 670) and $300 (GTX 660 Ti)

Kepler cards are strong only in games, they are weak in compute :p. Oh yes So the fact is than Nvidia is making more profit with their 680 and 670??? Well I don't think of that yet! If you think like this then Nvidia is kicking AMD Radeon Out, In gaming!

But if, I think, if they really come with GK110 cards, AMD would Have released a more high-end card, maybe a single GPU 7990 with a different core (no Tahiti), and a 7990x2. And of course, price them $400, while dropping the 7970 in the $300 price tag. Oh yes, btw where is the 7990? Rumors says it will come at Aug 15-18.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

I don't believe any of the crap that says Nvidia held back with the 600 series. Considering that the 680 isn't as fast as AMD's flagship, it doesn't add up in any way.

The price cuts are a business maneuver. Lower prices=higher demand=more profit. I also think AMD is dropping prices before the 8000 series hits, to clear out supply.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

care to substantiate such claims?

that's only if you look at in the sense of ONLY 1920x1080. technically, best card can be defined as anything. the 7970 is far more superior than the 680 in the realm of 2560x1600. even though most players usually play a max of 1920x1080, it doesn't mean 2560x1600 isn't an option, its a perfectly legitimate resolution which the tahiti architecture excels in.

@clarck380

Wanna ask some question?, next time, please make a new thread, not starting to ask in some random threads :).

The 570 should be faster, but the 7850 shouldn't be far behind (just like 5% slower). Tom's hardware even put the 7850 the same level as the 570.

But, AMD cut the prices of the 7850 and now a sapphire 7850 can be found by only $190!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102998

This is an excellent deal because the 570 is $80 more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

So true. Anyone believing that 680 is actually a renamed mid range card is just plain stupid. Why would nvidia pass a chance to completely destroy AMD this gen by releasing a 7970 level card for half the price and then have monopoly in GPU market for several coming years with their superior architecture.

So in the last few months, AMD makes big profit with the sales of the 7950 and the 7870.

honestly i'm not really sure if amd really did make profit. in Q2 their revenue was down by 11% from their expected forecast. i know we have to consider their cpu side of thing as well but i heard they lowering their radeons prices to stimulate more sales on the radeon parts. does it mean they doesn't sell much of graphic card in Q2 forcing them to lower the price even before GTX660 Ti comes out?

Kepler cards are strong only in games, they are weak in compute :p.

but that's what really matters to 90% of gamers out there lol. honestly i do find it funny. before this many were saying that most gamers doesn't care about compute stuff inside GF100/110. some even said nvidia compute component on the GF100/110 are waste of silicon because it does not benefit gaming performance at all. but when the latest series comes out from both company the tune has turn 180 degrees :p .

Oh yes So the fact is than Nvidia is making more profit with their 680 and 670

maybe yes maybe no. the problem is nvidia never did release the actual number of their sales for each quarter so we can only make assumption at best based on their quarterly profit (and also maybe their market share at the end of quarter). but as i see it nvidia doesn't have problem to make profit even if their cards were more expansive than their radeon counter-part.

Oh yes, btw where is the 7990? Rumors says it will come at Aug 15-18.

the latest one i heard about it that it will launch at the end of this month. personally i think amd should release the card before nvidia rolls out their kepler card.

Lower prices=higher demand=more profit

lol it seems that logic doesn't apply for nvidia :p

because profit matters. and speaking with monopoly nvidia was dominating the professional gpu market with 80% market share. of course with GCN AMD might be able to change that but it ain't going to happen soon. the professional customer does not change gpu overnight like gamers did

Hmm.. OK, This means AMD needs to improve only the gaming performance in the next generation, decent enough :). Oh yes, GK110 is for next generation right? Or is it actually canceled? I always think bad of AMD Market after seeing the Q2 report. It just plain suck...

they should be able to if they keep sticking to GCN. nvidia paid the similar price with original fermi. but it doesn't stop them to make improvement like they did 500 series. GTX580 was faster than GTX480 but it consume less power.

Oh yes, GK110 is for next generation right? Or is it actually canceled?

next generation maybe but i don't think they cancelled GK110. not after announcing product based on GK110 will available in Q4 this year:

Availability and Pricing
Second generation NVIDIA Maximus-powered desktop workstations featuring the new NVIDIA Quadro K5000 ($2,249 MSRP, USD) plus the new NVIDIA Tesla K20 GPU ($3,199 MSRP, USD) will be available starting in December 2012. The NVIDIA Quadro K5000 will be available as a separate discrete desktop GPU starting in October 2012.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Plain stupid might be your own commentary. Never in the world ITO (International Trade Organization) would allow such a thing.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

Only the usual.
Evoking now the historic Nvidia's naming scheme that make chipset 104 been the mid-card and using as basis all the websites that claimed the same I claimed.

mitunchidamparam

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012

DUDE seriously when you have two rival companies they can better each other by only a margin of 5 %.
But what you are saying is NVIDIA has outwitted AMD in a single generation by a margin of 30 %.
WTF , how can this be possible.
THe 680 and the 7970 have the same perfomance.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

It's a shame that such a thing as "International Trade Organization" does not exist and never did. So who's comment is plain stupid now?

Even if World Trade Organization (which actually exist) would do anything about GPU prices, it would more likely interfere in the current situation (if nvidia really is selling mid range cards as high end) as it would look like cartel between AMD and nvidia, where the companies agree to fix prices for bigger profits instead of actually competing in free market by offering the best possible product for lowest price.

Pretty sure the GK110 was always meant to be for workstation use. Not sure where the rumor came up that the GK104 was the mid range card. Maybe comparatively speaking to the GK110. But I doubt it was ever intended for the consumer market.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

I recently replaced a 560ti hawk that never worked properly with an equivalent msi 7850 O/C twin frozer.
I am so impressed by this new card. It is much much quieter and cooler and it seems faster. Now that the price have come down, I think the 7850 is definitely the best value in its segment. Many of the 560ti have voltage problems in games like BF3 and they also get quite hot and use basically double the power which makes me sound like an AMD phanboi, but Im really not, I am just happy how the 7850 turned out. It is good to see there is competition. The 660ti seems to hold its own in its own segment.

initially i want to. if the non-crippled GK104 was priced at $300. but i'm in no hurry to get new card since my GTX460 still good enough for me in majority of games that i played and i only play at 1600x900. maybe i will wait until next gen comes out and get this gen cards for cheap though nvidia cards rarely drop in price here. my local shops still sell GTX580 at 600-650 lol :lol:

but i admit there are some model from GTX660 Ti line up did picked my interest such as this one:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/21/galaxy_geforce_gtx_660_ti_gc_3gb_overclocking_review

i take people assume that GK104 as a mid-range card from the number '4' at the end of their code name. previous gen mid-range chips also contains number 4 in their code name (GF114, GF104). other than that it was the die space for GK104. people used to see 500mm2 for nvidia top end chip. my take is we might see GK110 based geforce but if the rumor about supply constrain are true then most likely the geforce part will be using crippled GK110.

Can someone tell me where Nvidia but kicked AMD, can someone tell me where GK is held back, can someone tell me where Nvidia are winning this so called "war"?

1] Nvidia cop'ed out by refusing to release GK at the same time as GCN, ie: they didn't want to guess their competitors performance, so they waited and saw what they needed to beat....spineless at best no real champion of the people.

2] AMD have adapted the performance through firmware and pricing, so much so that the 7970 can actually beat the 680 for $50 less, there are more revisions due so don't be surprised to see Nvidia's lead dwindle, not saying AMD will beat the tesselation junkies on rendering but it will be so close its moot, then you factor the pricing into it and Nvidia are being drown out the market.

3] in sequential releases there is no true war, one product will hold advantage and milk it for a while until the other releases and visa versa, it is funny though watching Nvidia milk this situation with lack of stock while AMD still out sells them by a substantial margin.

If anything AMD first tried to exploit the advantage with overpricing, now will just flood Nvidia out the market, a $240 7870 is so close and better long term than the $300 660ti.

Another poser for the think tank "Why did Nvidia not release the 660/670/680 simultaneously?" The glaring answer is in synthetics in most games the FPS difference is so miniscual, not a single 670 or 680 would have been sold if people knew it earlier, this was cheap and under the belt stuff from team green, releasing cards with very little difference and marking up.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

1- "So who's comment is plain stupid now?" -> You take things too much personal

2- "World Trade Organization (which actually exist)" -> I'm happy that you know about WTO. Sadly I don't know why even knowing WTO you cared to ask the question: "Why would nvidia pass a chance to completely destroy AMD this gen by releasing a 7970 level card for half the price and then have monopoly in GPU market...". You always knew the answer, even before ask.

3- Yes, it's a free market.... let me correct it.. it's a "free market". You can't do whatever you want, sell for the price you want, force such big loss in your competitor... Do you work in something that involves new technologies and product development? Well.. I do, and there's more things between heaven and hell that you might imagine.