32gb 1866mhz ram vs 16gb 2800mhz ram

i've decided to upgrade my corsair vengeance 1866mhz ram to g.skill 2666mhz ram. (16gb)
but is it compatible with the asus P8277-v?
and does it have a speed increase (any speed increase even if not noticeable is wanted)
31 answers Last reply
More about 32gb 1866mhz 16gb 2800mhz
  1. Assuming this is your MoBo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837), then 2666mhz is not supported by it.
  2. not the LK, the V.
    also can you reccomend a mobo that has 2 pci-e 3.0 x16 slots and supports 2666mhz ram
  3. Quote:
    not the LK, the V.
    also can you reccomend a mobo that has 2 pci-e 3.0 x16 slots and supports 2666mhz ram


    In what price range and what CPU socket type?
  4. Quote:
    In what price range and what CPU socket type?

    to £120, LGA `1155, will the arock extreme4 do? also is 2666mhz ram much slower than 2800 mhz?
  5. Yeah the AsRock extreme 4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293) is what I would recomend in your price range, I have also heard this Gigabyte board (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz77xud5h) is even better for overclocking purposes. 2666 compared to 2800 really doesn't see much of a difference but be careful when buying that speed for the MoBo's I don't think many boards supports 2666.
  6. okay so i cant choose, its a gaming pc.
    32gb 1866mhz ram vs 16gb 2800mhz ram
    can someone help me out? i cant sleep properly because i dont know whats better! :( :)
    thanks,
  7. They are both good.
    Just as good as a 8GB 1600MHZ kit.
    They are both pointless in a gaming PC, because while gaming you will rarely need more than 4 GB's ram and you will never exceed 6GB's.
    And memory speed really has no impact on gaming performance, or performance in any application besides memory benchmarks.
    Just buy a decent 8GB kit and be done with it.
    Spend the rest of the money on the graphics card.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/GSkill/F3-2666C11Q-16GTXD/7.html

    Here's a review in which you can see a super fast 2666MHZ memory kit and a super slow 1600MHZ CL11 kit (higher latency means slower).
    As you can see there is no significant difference.
  8. Honestly, neither. You don't need 16 or 32GB of RAM for gaming. You only need 8GB. As for the speed, I doubt you'll notice the difference from the standard 1600mhz.

    This is a bit old, but it gets the point across.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/6
  9. Go with good quality RAM with a good warranty from a good manufacturer (Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, etc...). RAM speed has almost no affect on frames per second. You don't need 32GB to game at this point in time.
  10. how about 2666 mhz vs 2800mhz
  11. can someone find me a motherboard that has 2 pci-e 3.0, 8 dimms and supports 2800mhz support? thank you!
    i know i should be looking for it myself but i am too.
  12. Most apps are compiled as 32-bit, limiting them to 4GB of total RAM usage.
    Most apps are compiled not Large Address Aware, limiting them to just 2GB of total RAM usage.

    So 32GB is pointless. Even 16 is overkill. Between the two, the faster speed will win over the extra amount.
  13. okay i have figured out some more and have changed somethings.
    may i know whats better now? 32gb of 2800mhz memory or 64gb of 1866mhz memory? this is for heavy multitasking and gaming at the same time. im going to make an lga 2011 build
  14. Unless your heavy multitasking involves running many virtual machines simultaneously while gaming, or trying to edit HD video while gaming. or you want to have a 20+ GB RAMDisk, I doubt you're going to need 32+GB of RAM. If you really want to give yourself some extra headroom, go for 16GB, no more than that unless you know you have an application that can eat up huge amounts of RAM on its own.

    As for speed, it really doesn't matter, in the real world there is no discernible benefit from having RAM faster than 1600MHz. The only exception is if you are trying to game with AMD's integrated graphics on their APUs, then having faster RAM will show some benefit. Aside from that one use case, going for the ultra fast RAM is pointless unless you are after bragging rights for getting the highest scores in memory benchmarks.
  15. Supernova1138 said:

    unless you are after bragging rights for getting the highest scores in memory benchmarks.

    BINGO! do you suppose they sell mobos with 16 slots for ram?
    p.s: whats a RAMdisc
  16. is this ram compatible with the 3930k?
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=527
  17. Flomps said:
    BINGO! do you suppose they sell mobos with 16 slots for ram?
    p.s: whats a RAMdisc


    Why do you want to brag about wasting money on RAM?
  18. Should be
  19. it says 3rd gen intel processors only thats why
    Specifications

    Model Number

    F3-2666C11Q-32GTXD
    Series

    TridentX
    System

    DESKTOP

    System Type

    DDR3
    CPU


    3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

    M/B Chipset

    Z77
    Capacity


    32GB (8GBx4)

    Multi-Channel Kit


    Dual Channel kit

    Tested Speed


    DDR3-2666 MHz (PC3-21300)

    Tested Latency


    11-13-13-35 2N

    Tested Voltage

    1.65V
    Registered/Unbuffered

    Unbuffered

    Error Checking

    Non-ECC
    Type


    240-pin DIMM
    SPD Speed

    1333 MHz

    SPD Voltage

    1.5V
    Height


    54 mm / 2.13 inch
    Warranty

    Lifetime

    Fan lncluded

    Yes
    Features


    Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) Ready
  20. Traciatim said:
    Why do you want to brag about wasting money on RAM?

    why not? :D

    in all seriousness ive decided to go between the two. 32gb of 2133mhz ram is what i choose, i cant seem to find any that say for intel 2nd gen processors (4x8gb) as i know sandy bridge can only support 4gb modules but sandy bridge e can support 8 i think, so im have trouble finding 2133mhz 32gb 4x8gb ram modules for my 3930k
  21. hey guys, is this compatible with my 3930k?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-PC3-17000-2133MHz-RipjawsX-9-11-11/dp/B007MP2Q2Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362086142&sr=1-3

    it says for Z68/P67 but surely it works for any processor, its DDR3, which means it works in my cpu.
  22. hey guys, is this compatible with my 3930k?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Skill-PC [...] 142&sr=1-3

    it says for Z68/P67 but surely it works for any processor, its DDR3, which means it works in my cpu.

    this isnt a duplicate post. its simlar, Like Sheep! only completely different
  23. This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
    Ram speed upgrade
    Compatible ram?
  24. Flomps said:
    is 2666mhz ram much slower than 2800 mhz?


    Assuming the same timings the 2800 is 5% faster. This will translate in to roughly 0% noticeable difference in your machine.
  25. Traciatim said:
    Assuming the same timings the 2800 is 5% faster. This will translate in to roughly 0% noticeable difference in your machine.

    but is it compatible, the amazon one, a 2666mhz 8gb or a 2800mhz 8gb module?
    thanks.
  26. Hmmm....my first comp I got in 2001 had a 32GB harddrive!!! Nice to see how fast stuff is evolving :)

    PS:- Not really sure, but I think I get a faint hint of a troll on this thread.
  27. $hawn said:
    Hmmm....my first comp I got in 2001 had a 32GB harddrive!!! Nice to see how fast stuff is evolving :)

    PS:- Not really sure, but I think I get a faint hint of a troll on this thread.

    how am i trolling, im genuinely asking. some sources say that sandy bridge enthusiast can only house 32gb modules and that some DDR3 modules work with ivy bridge (but dont mention sandy bridge) while by what i know ddr3 is ddr3 and it dosent matter how big the modules are.
  28. Flomps said:
    how am i trolling, im genuinely asking. some sources say that sandy bridge enthusiast can only house 32gb modules and that some DDR3 modules work with ivy bridge (but dont mention sandy bridge) while by what i know ddr3 is ddr3 and it dosent matter how big the modules are.


    If you have no clue and are on a mission to waste money then why not just pay someone to build you a machine?
  29. Traciatim said:
    If you have no clue and are on a mission to waste money then why not just pay someone to build you a machine?


    pshhh, im not wasting money, im merely investing in maybe unneccesary hardware. but i wanna build it myself
  30. Flomps said:
    pshhh, im not wasting money, im merely investing in maybe unneccesary hardware. but i wanna build it myself


    Why not get 8GB of RAM and sink the money in to a kickass monitor instead?
  31. Traciatim said:
    Flomps said:
    pshhh, im not wasting money, im merely investing in maybe unneccesary hardware. but i wanna build it myself


    Why not get 8GB of RAM and sink the money in to a kickass monitor instead?


    no need anymore. im getting funding for the pc now,
Ask a new question

Read More

G.SKILL RAM Compatibility Corsair Components