$2000-$3000 US build

AnthonyA_07

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: $2000-$3000 would really like it to stay around the $2000 or lower area though

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, showing off to friends and lan parties

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: everything

Do you need to buy OS: no

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon and newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU and thats all pretty much

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I want something that i can show off(led lights) and i want a fairly quiet PC(don't put the fans into the budget of the computer). i also have a hard time on what fan and CPU heatsink i should get and of course i want every part at least good quality

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Cooler ($61.74 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.48 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($197.96 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($279.98 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1692.10
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

for the case i am looking at 3 different cases.
c70 green, CM scout 2, and CM storm styker

i want a white PSU to match with the storm but i do not know if i will/can reuse an old PSU after a good 5 years

i really like the color on the c70 green and thats about it.

the CM scout 2 looks great and seems like it has a lot of space for cable routing like the storm styker

also for the Ram i need to know if it will fit and yes i want these ram since it has some flashing LED lights which looks awesome

g-unit1111

Titan
i want a white PSU to match with the storm but i do not know if i will/can reuse an old PSU after a good 5 years

I've found building around a color scheme *NEVER* works and really limits what you're able to buy later on. The Silencer is an excellent choice though, but 1200W is overkill for any rig.

also for the Ram i need to know if it will fit and yes i want these ram since it has some flashing LED lights which looks awesome

I really don't like buying and don't recommend vanity PC parts like this - the flashing lights are a gimmick and nothing more. Your RAM will be hidden by your CPU fan anyways so it doesn't really matter what you put there. But what does matter is speed - 1866 RAM, you don't need more than 1600 and anything above will lead to Intel voiding your CPU's warranty if they find out.

I'd switch that cooler and get a Noctua D14 instead.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kqdg

Better Cooler
Changed Motherboard.
16Gb of better RAM. Slowed it down but switched brands.
Changed case
Swapped the power supply! 1200 Watts is overkill!

It looks very nice. The RAM is red, the case lights up red, and the CPU cooler is red. The power supply can light up red to add to the effect. Add some red LED fans and you've got an amazing PC, inside and out.

Just read the RAM thing. If you really want lit up RAM then go for it. You're paying a premium for it though.

id personally also wouldnt buy LEDs since they do nothing to increase your performance and just arent worth the cash

id suggest this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kqgA
the cooler will kill your asthetics but it would perform much better than most closed loop systems (they suck dont bother with them)

you can get the case with a window or without a window

also if you somehow want 16gb of ram (no performance increase), you can get a set of patriot viper 3 ram for 45 dollars after MIR at us.ncix

AnthonyA_07

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
ok i guess i have made up my mind on the case, PSU, and Ram now

i will be getting the C70, will be taking out PSU and find another, and i will switch Ram with Crucial Ram at 1600 Tracers still.

@g-unit1111
the Noctua is ugly as *** and you did not read any part of what "I" want, you made a build to your preference but not 2 mine

you can easily plug a x1 into the bottom x16 slot. its useless anyways since it can only run at x4 speeds

you could get a c70, but expect high temps and poor airflow

you could get a cheapo watercooling unit that looks great but if it leaks or the pump dies, you are screwed. also, they are LOUD.

the lights on the tracers are useless. just get a plain set of ram.

g-unit1111

Titan

The only thing I suggested was switching out the RAM and the cooler. Everything else on your build is fine.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I've never understood the concept of putting color scheme over performance. To each their own I suppose.

You are going to do X-fire though, correct? I would reccomend that with such a high budget. I guess it depends on your monitor though.

nstiver

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah you will get no benifit from crossfire/SLI unless you either have 120hz, a high resolution monitor (1440 and up), or multiple monitors. You may want to consider adding a monitor to your budget. I hear those Korean IPS monitors are excellent. I can also vouche for a good 120hz monitor, as I own one and it is awesome. You may as well take your gaming to the next level with that budget--the monitor is in my opinion the most important aspect of your gaming rig.

And from what I have read--no, 3x CFX is not worth it. The returns on your investment really start to plateau at 2x because the scaling takes a nose dive after the 2nd card. The only reason you would need 3 cards is if you are running an array of monitors, you are doing benchmarks, or you are trying to extend your epenis.

In fact, I recently read a review on New Egg by a guy who got 3 7970ghz editions and literally couldnt run all three at the same time because of how ungodly hot they became. His cards were so close together and his case so cramped that they heated up into the 90s, and then he goes on NewEgg to bitch about the card and gives it a 1 star review.

My point is that you will likely see very little performance increase from 3 gpus, and you will almost certianly have some kind of heat issues. The truth is that 3 way CFX and SLI is just not practical for most people. Without some kind of advanced cooling solution I would stick to 2 GPUs max, and only then if you are willing to get a hi res monitor or a 120hz monitor.

TL;DR -- 3 gpus aren't worth it because they are too hot and you dont get much performance boost. 2x CFX 7970ghz is only worth it with 120hz, hi res, or multiple screens.

AnthonyA_07

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
then it would seem that my build would be like this then

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 88.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($180.48 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($197.96 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($413.78 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($166.29 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1996.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

then i need to add in some extra fans/replace some fans to get a bit more silent PC

any suggestions on fans?

lower the power supply to a xfx xxx 850w. you dont need a gold power supply

id rather get a white fractal define R4 with a window.

take out the tracers. in a black and white build, green just looks stupid in the middle of nowhere but that is up to you to decide. not to mention you wont see any ram under the heatsink. or they just might not be low enough to fit

you might want to consider the msi z77 mpower as well