New gaming PC

My friend wants to build a gaming PC and he's asked for some recommendations. His budget is £700 and he wants to play games at high settings. He also wants it to be upgradable few years down the line. Any ideas for components?
6 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. If that £700 is for core components, it's easy enough. What else has to be included in £700 (eg Monitor, operating system, keyboard etc.)?
  2. malbluff said:
    If that £700 is for core components, it's easy enough. What else has to be included in £700 (eg Monitor, operating system, keyboard etc.)?


    Sorry I didn't in include it in the OP. The monitor is the one thing that is not needed, OS and everything else I need.
  3. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£96.98 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£29.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Sandisk 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£54.99 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£145.97 @ Dabs)
    Case: Xigmatek Asgard II Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£28.57 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£35.99 @ Novatech)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£71.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM6150 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£9.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Total: £703.76
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

    the board can take a second GPU, and you can overclock this chip (but you might need an aftermarket fan), but I'm uncertain if next years Haswell chip will still use socket 1155.
  4. I would probably go with a western digital red drive instead, im pretty sure they are a little cheaper and they come with a 3 year warrenty from what I know.. :)

    also if you really want it to be upgradeble in 2 years you will need to look at the LGA2011 socket.
    Haswell will be for LGA1150, so I would guess that LGA1155 is probably not going to have new generations, but I dont know..
  5. winther said:
    I would probably go with a western digital red drive instead, im pretty sure they are a little cheaper and they come with a 3 year warrenty from what I know.. :)

    also if you really want it to be upgradeble in 2 years you will need to look at the LGA2011 socket.
    Haswell will be for LGA1150, so I would guess that LGA1155 is probably not going to have new generations, but I dont know..



    2011 socket is for $500 CPUs, not a good choice on a limited budget, and that Caviar black listed there was the least expensive 1TB in PC Parkpicker UK
  6. ScrewySqrl said:
    2011 socket is for $500 CPUs, not a good choice on a limited budget, and that Caviar black listed there was the least expensive 1TB in PC Parkpicker UK



    I know, but 1155 probably wont be upgradeble for much longer..
    also cheaper than the WD green line?
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems