Solved

AMD FX-4170 > Phenom II X4 for gaming?

Quick question, will the FX-4170 offer any significant improvement in gaming performance over the Phenom II X4? I'll be running a Radeon 7850 2GB as my graphics card. Will i see any significant improvement in games if I buy the FX-4170?
Thanks!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4170 phenom gaming
  1. No if anything its worse or the same assuming its a 965
  2. Best answer
    No, Bulldozer based chips are slower than Phenom II. If you have a Ph II X4 now, keep it and save up for better. If you are buying new, the Piledriver/Vishera based 4300 is a decent budget chip.
  3. the fx only has the higher clock speed, but phenoms still have better single thread performance. even the newer fx 4300 is very similar to the 965 - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/700?vs=102
  4. Yoshiji said:
    Quick question, will the FX-4170 offer any significant improvement in gaming performance over the Phenom II X4? I'll be running a Radeon 7850 2GB as my graphics card. Will i see any significant improvement in games if I buy the FX-4170?
    Thanks!

You would need to grab a 6300 or higher to significantly beat a phenom 2 x4 in gaming.
  5. Even an OC on the 965/955 something similar will prob even catch the 6300 if not using its 6 cores
  6. Awesome, thanks guys!
  7. Best answer selected by Yoshiji.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Phenom