Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intel core i5 vs AMD 8350FX for upgradabilty?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 27, 2013 9:27:25 PM

I'm building a gaming PC soon, I was going to use the intel core i5 3570k, but according to most benchmarks I've seen the 8350FX outpreforms or matches both the 3570k and the 3770k. I'm trying to choose the one that allows me the most upgradability with that CPU socket and motherboard.
I can't afford anything more than the 8350FX or 3570k, so I need one that allows me to upgrade in the future without replacing my Mobo.

So far I've seen that the i5 and i7 use the LGA 1155 socket, and if I go with Intel I can't upgrade past the i7 without a new Motherboard that supports LGA 2011. The AMD 8350FX uses the AM3 but that's the top of the line AMD CPU (That I know of).

Will the next gen AMD CPU's use AM3?

What route would you suggest? Correct me about any socket sizes or benchmarks if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Best solution

a c 680 à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 27, 2013 9:33:22 PM

If you are looking to upgrade the chip in the future without changing motherboard, the 8350 is the route to go. Steamroller will be AM3+ still as far as I know. There will be a possible issue of not getting a necessary bios update though. :/ 
Share
February 27, 2013 9:36:41 PM

logainofhades said:
If you are looking to upgrade the chip in the future without changing motherboard, the 8350 is the route to go. Steamroller will be AM3+ still as far as I know. There will be a possible issue of not getting a necessary bios update though. :/ 



Thanks, That's true, If it requires a bios update I might as well went Intel to have a higher end rand of CPU's to choose from...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2013 9:39:20 PM

Of course the Intel Haswell is coming in early June. It will be a new socket, the 1150. It just may put AMD in the grave.
m
0
l
a c 680 à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 27, 2013 9:54:21 PM

babernet_1 said:
Of course the Intel Haswell is coming in early June. It will be a new socket, the 1150. It just may put AMD in the grave.



With AMD's venture in consoles, I don't think it will kill them. If anything, their producing APU's for consoles will probably benefit them a good deal. Games that are optimized for AMD's x86 console APU's, like the PS4 will have, should run quite well with AMD's PC x86 chips.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 11:57:58 AM

Best answer selected by Sirwalrus.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2013 12:14:55 PM

babernet_1 said:
Of course the Intel Haswell is coming in early June. It will be a new socket, the 1150. It just may put AMD in the grave.


Say what? what you got to back this up?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2013 3:19:15 PM

sarinaide said:
Say what? what you got to back this up?

I sort of have a love/hate relationship with AMD. I really want them to make it and thrive, otherwise Intel and Nividia will become fat and lazy with no competition. Yet I am a real fan of Intel, I love their processor architecture and fab processes.

Unfortunately AMD lost 200 Million in a recent quarter, but I understand they have a lot of traction with the new gaming consoles coming out now.

However, Haswell and the future Skylake will absolutely bury AMD's Piledrives with their own Bulldozers.

Brian
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2013 5:41:53 PM

Skylake is only out in 2015 and Haswell is only 10% up on Ivy/Sandy. AMD rolling out Steamroller end of this year which is touted at least 15% faster though performance is not linear, the amount of metal level change may see Steamroller FX parts sit tight with Intel SB/IB parts which is rather good all things considered. The Kaviri APU will have similar x86 improvements with a 45% faster iGPU than that on Trinity and the soon to release Richland APU's.

AMD are dropping their power footprint to make head in notebooks and ultrabook markets as well as other low power markets.

It is a simple fact of life, the CPU market is a duopoly, AMD control the budget and value for money segment which is a very big segment now anything sub $200 or Sub $800 is AMD domain, this while Intel offers performance aimed at the more high end segment and enthusiasts, neither really encroaches on the others market. Intel suffered massive losses to with an now under stress high end market and failing economies, in fact their position is worse due to the lack of low cost offerings from Intel, by that I mean lowcost chipsets are pathetic to say the least, and integrated graphics is a nightmare.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 6:12:02 PM

Steamroller has actually been said it will be at least 30% faster by amd. 2 years to get the thing ot, I would hope it's better than 15%...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2013 6:27:17 PM

timil said:
Steamroller has actually been said it will be at least 30% faster by amd. 2 years to get the thing ot, I would hope it's better than 15%...


They said 15% per generation, Steamroller 30% faster than Zambezi, 15% faster than Vishera. If you lineate this you get impressive results, If AMD squeeze more out then they will have a very competitive product.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 7:33:47 PM

sarinaide said:
They said 15% per generation, Steamroller 30% faster than Zambezi, 15% faster than Vishera. If you lineate this you get impressive results, If AMD squeeze more out then they will have a very competitive product.


No no they said steamroller = 30% improvement over piledriver. Ill try to find the article
m
0
l
April 13, 2013 7:07:26 PM

logainofhades said:
babernet_1 said:
Of course the Intel Haswell is coming in early June. It will be a new socket, the 1150. It just may put AMD in the grave.



With AMD's venture in consoles, I don't think it will kill them. If anything, their producing APU's for consoles will probably benefit them a good deal. Games that are optimized for AMD's x86 console APU's, like the PS4 will have, should run quite well with AMD's PC x86 chips.


Yes! - your Correct. the i5 and i7 use the LGA 1155 socket, THE Gigabyte GA Z77-D3H @ £82 has won a stack of awards and 5 star reviews, and if you go with Intel you can choose a lot of Ivy Bridge i5 CPU'S and i7 CPU's that are beating the AMD OVERHEATING OVERCLOCKING FX-CPU'S... THAT NEED HEAVY DUTY COOLING HEAT Sinks to keep them cool, that type of cooling is not needed with intel's i5 or Superior i7, Okay the i7 is a lot more expensive but uses different coding, Hyper-threading Technology, Plus, at an Over-clocked Speed of an easy 4.6Ghz it can cream anything AMD Has, ATM.

it boils down really to who your loyalty is AMD or Intel. just go with who every you feel give you the best deal..
if AMD Then go FX-8350 With the New Asus Sabertooth FX990 R2 GOOD VALUE ATM.


"nuff said.!" Thanks for taking a moment to read... cheers!

m
0
l
April 13, 2013 7:16:18 PM

Sirwalrus said:
I'm building a gaming PC soon, I was going to use the intel core i5 3570k, but according to most benchmarks I've seen the 8350FX outpreforms or matches both the 3570k and the 3770k. I'm trying to choose the one that allows me the most upgradability with that CPU socket and motherboard.
I can't afford anything more than the 8350FX or 3570k, so I need one that allows me to upgrade in the future without replacing my Mobo.

So far I've seen that the i5 and i7 use the LGA 1155 socket, and if I go with Intel I can't upgrade past the i7 without a new Motherboard that supports LGA 2011. The AMD 8350FX uses the AM3 but that's the top of the line AMD CPU (That I know of).

Will the next gen AMD CPU's use AM3?

What route would you suggest? Correct me about any socket sizes or benchmarks if I'm wrong. Thanks.


Yes! - your Correct. the i5 and i7 use the LGA 1155 socket, THE Gigabyte GA Z77-D3H @ £82 has won a stack of awards and 5 star reviews, and if you go with Intel you can choose a lot of Ivy Bridge i5 CPU'S and i7 CPU's that are beating the AMD OVERHEATING OVERCLOCKING FX-CPU'S... THAT NEED HEAVY DUTY COOLING HEAT Sinks to keep them cool, that type of cooling is not needed with intels i5 or Superior i7, the i7 okay is more expensive but uses different coding, Hyper-threading, and at a clock speed of an easy 4.6Ghz can cream anything AMD Has ATM.

it boils down really to who your loyalty is AMD or iNTEL. just go with who every you feel give you the best deal..
if AMD Then go FX-8350 With the New Asus Sabertooth FX990 R2 GOOD VALUE ATM.

"nuff said.!" Good-Luck with what ever you decide, I apologize to the other 2 peeps I sent this answer too, need a coffee... Take Care, Laxblade...


m
0
l
!