Your question
Solved

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 need MB

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2013 9:50:06 PM

Hi, I have a couple old Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 processors and I would like to use one to build a HTPC. Don't really know if I would call my vision a true HTPC.... basically a computer that I can hook up to tv for windows media center dvr capabiliites and basic online tv viewing.

I'm looking for;
motherboard LGA775 (graphics build in would be best)
A "true" desktop case (not a tower) SO DO I NEED A SPECIAL MB TO FIT THAT STYLE CASE??? I can't find this style case anywhere. you know the ones that a monitor can sit on, I can't use a tower because it's too tall for the 8 inch high shelf I have and I really don't want to get into the smaller cases or maybe I do :)  :)  :)  I just know I want to use that processor.

Thanks I appreciate any help, seems like a very capable processor to build a computer around.

Joe

More about : intel core quad cpu q9400

February 27, 2013 10:12:31 PM

Thanks for the quick response :) 

So is it a special motherboard for that case? and if i want it to be a "quiet computer" should i get SSD harddrive?
m
l
Related resources
a c 813 à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 27, 2013 10:14:10 PM

As long as the case supports Micro ATX (M-ATX), you are fine. SSD wouldn't be a bad idea if you are going for quiet. No moving parts, so no noise.
m
l

Best solution

a c 152 à CPUs
a b å Intel
February 27, 2013 11:41:27 PM

IMO your best bet would be to ebay those cpu's while they are still in demand and purchase something equally powerful but quite a bit less heat generating, like an i3 ivy cpu. I recommend the i3-3225 to get the hd4000 integrated graphics instead of the hd2500
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2013 11:48:45 PM

fm2
m
l
March 10, 2013 1:23:26 AM

Best answer selected by jeneraljoe.
m
l
!