Sign in with
Your question

Power supply for XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB?

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2012 9:49:43 PM

Hello

I have just completed my first solo build and have run into a little issue. When I did the initial turn-on, I could not get the computer to POST, and noticed the CPU fan running a little slow. After troubleshooting and running into deadends, I decided to pull the power from my XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB. After that, computer booted, loaded the OS just fine and is currently functioning off the motherboard's integrated graphics.

I swear I did all the research I needed to, even asked the community here for some advice, and went with an OCZ 550 watt 80 plus certified power supply. Granted my CPU is power hungry (AMD Phenom x4 965 125W) but I thought I would still have enough power overhead.

Can someone please take a look at my system build and let me know If this should work? maybe i installed wrong or is there something I could be doing differently? here is the link to my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kq48

Thanks for any advice, let me know if more info is needed.

a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 15, 2012 10:21:07 PM

Are you sure that the PSU is the problem?
October 15, 2012 11:05:30 PM

You can pick the best parts in the world but there's no guarantee they won't be defective.

I would try to install the video card again to see if it works. Make sure it is well seated (unseat just to make sure). Your PSU has enough power for your CPU and GPU so your problem shouldn't be from a lack of power unless you have 8 hard drives and 5 CD-ROMs.

jrgong advise is good, when you have problems in the first days it's never a good sign, I wouldn't take any chance and return all the parts (most companies have a "no questions asked" return policy in the first 30 days).
Related resources
October 16, 2012 12:49:48 AM

I just have 1 SSD and 1 optical drive, so power consumption there is minimal. Like I said everything works without the video card, so I'm hesitant on aborting the whole build. I'll try re-seating it, but if the computer doesnt even post I will be unable to install it.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 16, 2012 3:38:19 AM

Sounds to me like a faulty graphics card or you just don't plug the necessary connectors, make sure you're plugging both 2 x PCIE 6 PIN Power Connectors and that the card is properly seated.

Best way to determine whether it's the PSU or the card, is to grab another PSU from a friend and make a test.
!