Sign in with
Your question

GA-990FXA-UD% and Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Last response: in Components
February 27, 2013 10:04:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a system on a GA-990FXA-UD5 board with an FX 8350 Black Edition processor. I bought and would like to use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for cooling. I've built a lot of boxes over the years but haven't put one together with these components. The mobo has a backplate under the processor socket that the plastic clips for the stock AMD heatsink are attached to. I removed the stock plastic clips, expecting the standoffs that came with the Cooler Master to thread in to the plate where the clips were attached, but they are a larger screw size than the tapped holes in the plate.

Question number two is that when using the Cooler Master mounting adapter (Part "E") the heatsink of the Hyper 212 isn't in full contact with the processor. Seems to me that it should be, or there will be poor thermal transfer from the processor to the heatsink. What am I missing on these two points?

Last question. I am also using 4 16 GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance memory which each have a large heatsink of their own. It looks like they will work if I mount the Hyper 212 with the fan toward the back of the case. I'm seeing a lot of discussion about only being able to use the two slots farthest away from the heatsink. Is there a problem with the fan being in the back of the case?

Thanks for your help,

Wayne@RedHookDesignAlliance.com

BD
February 27, 2013 11:35:10 PM

1: you remove the stock backplate and use the supplied coolermaster one.
2: part e is the backplate. It goes on the backsode of the motherbd so I'm not sure what you are asking. Basically you mount the backplate and us the nuts on the bottom side of the motherbd and the standoff on the top side. Then you slide the x retention adapter thru the cooler and then expand it so you can mount it to the standoff. Yes the cooler will feel a bit loose and even be able to slide a bit. This is normal.

3: I'm not familiar with that ram or how high it is but most often if you install the fan after the memory it will fit ok. Ideally you want the fan blowing to the rear of the case where the rear fan will suck it in and blow it out of the case. Its ok if the fas sits a little high. If you have a top mounted fan on your case it is ok to install the cooler so it blows the cpu heat up and out of the case too..
m
l
!