PSU Check before i buy it

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hey guys, As most of the regular forum members might know. I, Haider95 am facing a power issue for the past 2-3 weeks. Those of you who don't know.. here's the basic:

OP builds new EL CHEAPO PC with the following...

Pentium E2160 1.8Ghz
2x1GB DDR2 Ram 667MHz
80GB Sata HDD 2MB Cache
Light Scribe DVD writer
Nvidia Geforce 9600GSO 96 Shaders Edition DDR3
250w Generic PSU that i cut open myself and to which i gave a 6 Pin power connector to run the GPU

- System works fine for a couple of days, Games stutter constantly. Then freeze and go into sound loop. The keyboard and mouse do not respond.
- Manual restart of PC is required.
- GPU temperatures are almost cool (62* max when underload)
- None of the hardware is overclocked (GPU was first couple of days until the freeze frequency went up)
- System powers up fine and i can do manual browsing and everything but as soon as i load up games they freeze after a while.

As the people on the forum have told me, This is indeed a PSU problem and i hope i can solve it by replacing the PSU

-My budget atm is a maximum of 40 Pounds for a PSU and a USB wireless dongle (Including delivery).
-I'm ordering the PSU tomorrow hopefully.

Now i've had my eyes on this one for a while, It has a single 12V rail similar to the XFX 450w Pro series PSU with 35AMPS on the 12v rail
Heres the link:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/93938/PCB-450BK/Power-Supplies/Powercool-X-Viper-450W-Power-Supply/PSU0438/

It's 80+ bronze certified and costs only 31 Pounds

Second one is the OCZ 500w CorexStream 500w Power Supply Unit

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/powersupplies/cxs500w-uk.html

Can't go for the CX430 Unfortunately cause tomorrows the only chance for me to buy a PSU or be stuck with this crappy 250w one forever :(

And i would have been willing to save up for the XFX one but its out of stock everywhere but now i'm stuck with one of these. Also, Can i just get this one and be done with it? cause i'm not planning on upgrading any time soon due to financial conditions

http://www.cclonline.com/product/98232/9PA4005502/Power-Supplies/FSP-400W-Power-Supply-Unit-OEM/PSU0486/

Please if someone could say that i shouldn't be wasting money on those better quality PSU's if i should be fine with this 400w FSP :( I would really like to save that cash
Already have a USB WIFI dongle picked out for a fiver. Has anybody got any experience with those? Thanks in advance

Hi - The choices all appear to be something most of us would notrecommend.
OCZ has some good units, but the one you linked is an HEC made unit, and HEC has a poor oem reputation.

I've never heard anything good about Powercool and would not recommend.

I think the lesser of the three evils is the FSP unit.

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I've rang Novatech up once asking about the stock of the Core edition xfx's :( they said they've just run out and it will be a while until they get new ones