Graphics Workstation New Build Advice

bigpoppavfx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Already started ordering the parts today, want to make sure that:

1) there are no issues with compatibility
2) advice on build/bios setup
3) experience/advice or wisdom on setting up a dual-boot with this mobo; that can use seperate Nvidia cards/drivers I might throw some GeForce SLI gaming hardware in there for "break time"?

Thanks!

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: today
Budget Range: $4,000USD
System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D Animation and Visual Effects Entertainment Industry
Are you buying a monitor: Maybe
Parts to Upgrade: all
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: partpicker
Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200, 2048×1080, 4096×2160
Additional Comments: 3D Animation and Visual Effects Freelance Professional Desktop Workstation

PCPartPicker part list

CPU/MOBO:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($82.74 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($297.00 @ B&H)

MEMORY:
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)

STORAGE:
SATA-II (Intel): Data [Raid 0]
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
SATA-III (Intel): BootDisk
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)
SATA-III (Intel): Applications/Programs
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($508.96 @ B&H)

GRAPHICS:
Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card ($649.99 @ Newegg)

CASE:
Case: Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($204.99 @ Newegg)

PERIPHERALS:
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($84.99 @ Adorama)
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse ($32.99 @ Adorama)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full (32/64-bit) ($264.22 @ Amazon)

TOTAL BUILD:
Total: $3347.77

id suggest this instead. you can always add another hard drive for storage. RAID 0 isnt worth it on hard drives. the speed increase isnt noticable in daily tasks

that keyboard is a rip off. i can get a mech keyboard that will alllow you to type at least 10% faster and it would last longer (much longer since switches are rated at 50 million keystrokes rather than the standard 2 million or less

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDOOBU/?tag=pcpapi-20

for the mouse, id suggest something like a razer deathadder. wireless mice and keyboard arent really the way to go

bigpoppavfx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Thanks, all great points that I agree with.

I debated heavily on Raid 0 vs Raid 1. Settled on Raid 0 because I have an external backup solution that can run over the ASMedia 6Gbs eSata so i'm not that concerned about mirror as much as I need space. My work (particle and fluid dynamics in Autodesk Maya and Max) can really eat up disk space quickly, and doing a JBOD with all the different drive letters to manage would just hurt too much.

My plan is to plug the 3xHD's into the SATA-II 3Gbs Intel controller, which is why I wanted to stick with a compatible HD.

Does using a SATA-III 6Gbs HD in a SATA-II 3Gbs interface work? And if so, are there any pros or cons that you're aware of (appart from speed obviously) regarding drive lifespan and heat generated?

I do want to do a dual boot eventually (with a separate discrete graphics card/drivers) which is why I though to go big on the boot drive SSD. Plus I wanted to try out the Asus SSD-Caching (unlimited capacity) to see if the speedup is real, so I thought I would just allocate the extra capacity on the boot drive to it.

Has anyone tried the Asus SSD-Caching? If so, how much space do you recommend allocating to it for the best performance gain?

I'll take a look at a better keyboard/mouse combo though, you're right I can do better than those!

bigpoppavfx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Update Build:

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)

SATA-III (Intel): BootDisk
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($116.93 @ NCIX US)

SATA-III (Intel): Applications/Programs
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($508.96 @ B&H)

After reading here ASUS Win7 Install Guide and finding out I would have to move my BootDisk and Apps/Prog SSD's to the Marvell controller i've decided to abandon ASUS SSD-Caching for now. So that let's me drop the size of the BootDisk in half. I'll try and put the BD optical drive on the Marvell SATA-III controller after Win7 install is complete and i've verified the Marvell drivers are working.

Took your advice on the 4xHD for more storage and putting faster SATA-III drives in the SATA-II Intel interfaces. But i'm going to stick with Raid 0 and just break up the drive designation to minimize drive failure data loss risk. I have an external backup solution in mind using the eSATA-III's (or USB-3.0) that should help too.

bigpoppavfx

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
What Raid configuration do you suggest?
And which is worse, either having all 4xHD's on the Intel on-board raid controller OR not having disk failure protection in your storage array?

I'm open, but my options are either:

(a) Raid 0: lose 0% capacity, (2) 2xHD/raid array, fail 0 HD per array
(b) Raid 1: lose 50% capacity, (2) 2xHD/raid array, fail 1 HD per array (no performance hit)
(c) Raid 5: lose 33% capacity, 4xHD/raid array, fail any 1 HD (performance hit until rebuild)
(d) Raid 10: lose 50% capacity, 4xHD/raid array, fail any 2 HD (no performance hit)

For this build, affordable storage space capacity is a priority because I think I can use an external backup/security solution (eSata-III or USB-3.0) should I lose an entire Raid array and need to recover quickly.

Between the Intel, Marvell, and ASMedia a fourth SATA controller card and drivers to manage is not preferred. According to Intel they support two separate raid configurations using their on-board raid controller. I don't want to go with any mechanical drives larger than 1TB because I have not committed to UEFI-MBR or UEFI-GPT yet based on the Linux dual boot option, plus SSD's are the future anyway.

Option (a) keeps the full storage capacity available, which is good. But not ideal because I still have multiple drive letters and multiple Raid arrays to manage and absolutely no HD failure security. But with the two separate array's i'm minimizing the risk somewhat in that a single HD failure only kills half of my storage data.

Option (b) is secure and I could fail 2xHD's (but not from the same array) and still see no performance hit, that's good. But I lose half my capacity and it still forces me to accept multiple drive letters and multiple Raid arrays to manage.

Option (c) keeps me with a single drive letter and Raid array to manage plus give me some security in that I can fail 1xHD which is good. I lose one third of my storage capacity, and I will see a performance hit while I rebuild a failed drive. Also, like you said 4xHD's on a singe on board raid controller seems a task better suited for a dedicated Raid controller card.

Option (d) is the most secure because the data can survive failing 2xHD's and still see no performance hit, plus I only have one drive letter and Raid array to manage so that's great. But I lose half of my storage capacity, and again this leaves me with 4xHD's on a single on board Raid controller.

I think i'm leaning toward (a) or (d) right now, but (c) is still a viable option of compromise.

Thanks for all your help!