Watercooling a hd6870??

marcd2011

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
hello,

ive currently got an xfx radeon hd 6870 (HD-687A-ZNFC) but its getting quite hot,
after i turned the pc on and it was ready to use i looked on catalyst and is said it was at 40degrees with 75% fan speed, and while playing games (skyrim, ghost recon, diablo 3) it gets to about 55-60degrees, is this normal?

i decided to take it out today and give it a clean, i re-applied the thermal paste (arctic silver 5) because the old lot was hard and dry. the temps at 76% are at 33degrees now....

so im now wondering what would be needed to water cool this card, it is a reference card aswell. ive seen this what i can use EK-FC6870 - Acetal+EN (Nickel) as i have checked on www.coolingconfigurator.com.

what else do you need as i have never done this before.
ive seen this aswell, as i dont have a case ment for watercooling i thought this was a good idea http://www.scan.co.uk/products/alphacool-repack-dual-laing-d5-dual-525-bay-station

my pc spec is:
athlon ii x3 425 with xigmatec loki cooler OC'd to 3.4
asus sabertooth 990fx mobo
12gb corsair xms3 1333
corsair cx-500 psu
radeon hd 6870
1td wd hdd
120gb sandisk extreme ssd
dvd+rw

thanks alot
marc

The temperatures are quite good, stock cards regularly hit 80C under load.
Watercooling is not really needed, there is several good aftermarket air coolers around which are a lot less expensive than watercooling.