Is my motherboard D.O.A.? Or is my problem elsewhere?

Ksbland09

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I'm building my first computer. I'm having a problem figuring out my bare-bones test isn't going through post. I had everything hooked to my MSI 760GM-P34(FX) motherboard as far as the necessary power cables and the CPU, RAM, Stock Heat sink, and the GPU. The motherboard seems to receive power as the gpu fans spin as well as the heat sink fan but still no post. I RMA'd the motherboard back for a refund and the cpu for a replacement. I then bought a GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 and i'm having the same problem only i haven't got my cpu back yet. I could really use some help on diagnosing the problem!

Heres a parts list:
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard
AMD FX-6300 Vishera CPU
Seagate Barracuda 500gb HDD
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 PSU
GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-1GD Radeon HD 7850 GPU
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM

Solution
look at the mb bios rev sticker if there is one. this mb needs bios f3 to post with the new cpu. without a cpu in a mb most mb wont do anything. to find out if your mb is working install a speaker onto the mb and remove the video card and ram. see if you get any beeps from it. if you dont get any beeps...look to see that the 24 pin and white 8 pin atx power is connected and locked in. if you have too see if someone has another power supply to rule out a doa power supply.
look at the mb bios rev sticker if there is one. this mb needs bios f3 to post with the new cpu. without a cpu in a mb most mb wont do anything. to find out if your mb is working install a speaker onto the mb and remove the video card and ram. see if you get any beeps from it. if you dont get any beeps...look to see that the 24 pin and white 8 pin atx power is connected and locked in. if you have too see if someone has another power supply to rule out a doa power supply.

Solution

Ksbland09

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013

Ksbland09

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Ahh so it is a chance that my power supply is faulty. it seemed highly unlikely for me to get 2 DOA motherboards and i also read that CPU's have a low failure rate. ill check out my power supply somehow. Thank you so much! im sure you know already but im new to this forum. how do i give you points or whatever. :)