Speed limit on D-Link DI-524 ( Not user speed but GENERAL limit )

laovniux

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Hello,

I have noticed that D-Link alone Limits my internet speed. Is it possible to disable this feature?

Speed test taken without D-Link
1522738107.png

Speed test taken after d link was completely rebooted, password, WLAN key protected ....
1522186503.png

Anything can help me get the speed back up? :/

laovniux

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
It was done via wire, no it makes no noticeable difference either the wireless is enabled or no... Though what makes a difference is restarting the router ( pluging it out and pluging it back in after some time ). While repeatedly doing so and measuring the speed I get ~10mb fluctuation most of the time, though 1ce I got it up to 90 mb but the next morning it went back to 30...

newton2ii

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I think I have a similar problem.

I pay for a 30mbps connection. When I'm not on my DI-524 I get it... infact i get 35mbps connected directly to the modem. But as soon as I plug into the router I only get approx 14mbps. I've updated my firmware to the newest (previously I was using an older firmware) this did infact improve my speed from 12mbps to approx 14 mbps.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something wrong with the router or can this be fixed with the right router settings?

laovniux

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Well since I bought my speed up with some random non official tweaks I can post them here for you:
1943628830.png

1st of all check the official thing:
xoNEm.png

2nd would be a question: Are you using wireless internet from the router when you check speed? And a statment: wireless network speed is always noticeably lower then wire... yea this 1 is obvious but w/e :pt1cable: And just to make sure you took the tests right after reconnecting because the network speeds are noticabely lower in the evenings when a lot of people go online.
Finally the best tweak in the world: plug off the power supply and reconnect it after like 10 seconds. Do this until the speed reaches what it should be without the router. And don't turn it off... Ever... Though lightning storms kill it for me all the time so...

newton2ii

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I'm connected via cable. I am getting my max speed when connected to the modem directly. I pay for an 18mbps connection but am getting 33mbps. When I connect to my router via ethernet cable I can only achieve a max of 14mbps. This actually improved when I updated my firmware from 10mpbs.

I have the DI-524
My current version of firmware is Firmware Version: 1.23 , Mon, 24 Jul 2006
Infact my interface looks a bit different than yours. I do not have SPI Mode or xbox support. The similarities have already been set to the same as in your screen shot.

Also I have tried rebooting my router by unplugging it for several minutes(time it took to make some tea) and it made absolutely no difference.

I've read somewhere that 624 firmware can be installed on this device, could that be a possibility for fixing my problem?

laovniux

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Try updating it then...
Mine is:
Current Firmware Version: V2.07
Firmware Date: Tue, Mar 18 2008

Any way this router has it perks... Enough of them... I'm probably going to throw it out the window when i get a new one.

As for the restarts... I don't know about you but I couldn't make tea within like 10 secs... Try to restart it like that a few times while your pc is on. As soon as it connects check the speed. And check it before you do any of these steps a few times because it might be that your speed just spikes at some times making you think that you can squeze more out of it.

As for me... I have my own speed tester called xfire. Every time the router decides to skip on work and lover my speed xfire takes like 60 secs to connect instead of ... instant :F

newton2ii

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
I've tried doing a web search for the limitations of my device but could not find anything. The User Manual states 10/100 mbps but obviously not the case unless my device is defective.

Can anyone point to where I can look to find out the limitations of this device?

The security in routers is what slows it down, especially SPI (stateful packet inspection) as it has to look at every packet that passes through. It's a trade off, security for speed. If you are just gaming, I don't think you'll notice a differenc ein speed. If you are downloading torrents, then you might notice a speed difference, otherwise most times you won't know the difference other than in speed tests.

newton2ii

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Unfortunately I don't have SPI. It's not part of firmware 1.23 (and the above posted screen shot is different than what I have)

Here's an Image: http://ow.ly/aVOlI

It shouldn't matter where it appears on your screen. SPI is the same on all routers. either your router can do SPI or it can't. I have an older dlink dgl-4100 and it has it, so your router should also have it.

You can't post images on these forums. You need to upload to somewhere like flickr or photobucket, then link to them in your post.

newton2ii

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Transferred a file over the network today, it went at the same low speed. So it seems like something is wrong with my router where it does not allow me to achieve the claimed max speed of 100 mbps.

With SPI off you should get better throughput. I'm not sure what the router itself is rated for, but I would think it should be able to get close to the maximum speed.

Downloading a file might not be a good test. Depending on the server it's coming from, the other end may be the bottleneck.

???

The post right before mine you say you tested by transferring a file. I pointed out that isn't the best test. Previously you said your router screen doesn't look like the other guys thus no SPI. I know screens change with different firmware versions. Just because your screens don't look the same doesn't mean your router doesn't have SPI or some other form of security which will slow it down.

Oh well, I'll leave you to your topic. Oh, wait, this isn't even your topic. Nice way to hijack someones thread.

TRENDING THREADS