Your question

Heatsink fans restart about ever 10 seconds, no boot

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Heatsinks
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2012 1:15:03 AM

I have tried following the troubleshooting steps on this site, and have gone through it many times.

-The GPU's fans start, and then continue like normal
-The PSU starts, and then continues like normal

-But, the heatsink will start, and then stop only to start back up, and it just repeats

I had it working earlier today, but then got to a screen when I was trying to load the USB that said something about having to remove all media disks and then press any key. After doing that, it just said to plug in the USB with the BIOS files in the root, did that as well.

Then it just went back to the heatsink fans restarting.

I have checked everything, and the only time that the heatsink fans continue is when I short the CMOS jumper (JBAT1).

I only have placed the motherboard on the box it came in, and every time before I touch it, I touch the metal of the case.
I have tried 1 stick of RAM, I have tried 2, I have made sure everything is pressed down correctly, and I am lost.

Because the small monitors I have been using don't use HDMI , I have had the GPU disconnected from the Motherboard and PSU so I could use the motherboard's VGA cable, and that is how I had it working originally.

The parts that are currently together are:
Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
CPU: Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz Dual-Core Processor (only to upgrade the motherboard's BIOS to work with i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

More about : heatsink fans restart seconds boot

October 16, 2012 2:03:52 AM

yeah you shouldnt have gotten a cheap board. but thats not too bad

are you using a intel stock fan? did you try using both of them to see the problem? if it is the heatsink,you can always buy a cheap aftermarket solution like the tx3 for 20 bucks
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:05:39 AM

I am using the stock fan, and it did work earlier, but I have no idea what changed.

The cheap CPU was just to be used so I can upgrade the BIOS of the motherboard so it can work with the i5.
Annoyingly, this is the same problem I was having when I only had the i5, but the Celeron was the only thing that ever added anything to the screen (it did boot up earlier into BIOS)
m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2012 2:11:11 AM

well did msi state that it provided a bios update that would allow you to use the motherboard with a ivy bridge chip? if not, the bios update was near useless
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:13:21 AM

Yeah.
MSI is up to version 2.5 of this model's BIOS, and it was at 2.2 that added Ivy Bridge support

But, the actual motherboard came pre-installed with v1.0
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:17:50 AM

ok did you get things to work now? i mean the fans. if its just a fan problem you can always get another
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:19:37 AM

Still nothing on it.
Is it just the heatsink that's causing it?
or could it be the PSU, and not giving enough power to it?

I don't want to buy something else that turns out not to be needed.

The only way I have gotten the Heatsink to continue spinning (At least after it did work), was by shorting the CMOS Jumper (this board has to be shorted for that), but nothing even shows on the monitor, and after I flip the switch on the PSU twice, it goes back to restarting with nothing on the screen.
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:22:29 AM

dont you have another heatsink from the celeron? try using that for the moment
m
l
October 16, 2012 2:24:12 AM

No, got it from a store that sold it separately, and I thought that was a good idea because I already had one, and it made it cheaper (about $35).

Found a video where it looks like the same problem, except I don't have any LEDs on any of these parts.

So, could it be the PSU's problem?
And if it is, then how would I check it?
m
l
October 16, 2012 3:40:07 AM

Tried another thing to see if it was the power supply.
I plugged one of the fans that came with the case, into the power supply, and the fan spun just like it was supposed to while the heatsink kept restarting.

Could it be the motherboard itself?
or is it really just the heatsink?

I need to know what I need to get replaced before putting more money onto it.

If I have a USB stick plugged into the motherboard, it also acts like the motherboard itself is restarting.
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:39:56 AM

well you should be getting a heatsink anyways since the stock one is crap and doesnt cool very well.

if the heatsink doesnt work, get a h77 motherboard. guaranteed to work with ivy bridge
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:49:30 AM

Do you think i have enough psu
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:52:46 AM

what is your power supply?
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:31:12 AM

power off the pc. pull the power from the wall let the mb drain. make sure there nothing plugged into the usb port. take one dimm out of the mb and use the clear the cmos jumper. when you go and power the pc back up make sure the 24 and 4/8 pin atx power plugs are connected. check that the hard drives/cd-rom the power and data cables are on right and connected to the right sata port. some mb have two sata chipsets.
m
l
October 16, 2012 12:45:21 PM

smorizio said:
power off the pc. pull the power from the wall let the mb drain. make sure there nothing plugged into the usb port. take one dimm out of the mb and use the clear the cmos jumper. when you go and power the pc back up make sure the 24 and 4/8 pin atx power plugs are connected. check that the hard drives/cd-rom the power and data cables are on right and connected to the right sata port. some mb have two sata chipsets.

I have cleared the CMOS. This board has it to where I have to short two pins, as it doesn't have the small piece that goes on 2 out of three pins. The heatsink does spin like normal after clearing the CMOS, but nothing shows up on the monitor (I have tested the monitor, and it worked earlier on this same computer). Then once I power off the PSU, it goes back to continually restarting.
If I do have the GPU in, then those fans are continuous the whole time while the heatsink restarts, and if I do have a USB plugged in, it restarts as well.
m
l