Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Possibly damaged graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 22, 2012 2:32:11 PM

Hello,
is it possible to have killed my AGP graphic card by pulling it out the motherboard socket whilst the power cord was still connected to the PSU - even though the switch on the PSU was OFF.

since i did this, the graphic card (which was virtually new) is not working.

the motherboard is fine as i reinstalled my old (very old) graphic card and booted with no problems.

If so, and i have damaged the new card - is there a fix?
thanks
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 2:36:02 PM

I've don't it a lot of times but you can rule esd (static) out since the whole system was grounded. It is possible that it could have a coil solder joint that cracked or you by chance bump it some how and lost one of it's small components.

Inspect the card for anything that is missing and beyond that agp cards can be VERY VERY picky about which boards they work in. I got cards and boards that won't work at all together but changed around work just fine.
m
l
August 22, 2012 2:49:54 PM

it was working fine in my asus board.
i wanted to try it in another board - which it didn't work in. and it was this 2nd board that i pulled it out from, without unplugging the cable.

then when i put it back in the asus MB no signal to the monitor.
so its not a MB incompatibility.
m
l
Related resources
August 22, 2012 3:01:10 PM

i have also checked the card and nothing is missing or cracked.
i was very careful when inserting and removing the card so i'm pretty sure there was no physical damage done.
m
l

Best solution

a c 115 U Graphics card
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 3:09:17 PM

ashpah101 said:
Hello,
is it possible to have killed my AGP graphic card by pulling it out the motherboard socket whilst the power cord was still connected to the PSU - even though the switch on the PSU was OFF.

since i did this, the graphic card (which was virtually new) is not working.

the motherboard is fine as i reinstalled my old (very old) graphic card and booted with no problems.

If so, and i have damaged the new card - is there a fix?
thanks

No it's not possible to have damaged it that way. When the switch to the PSU is in the "off" position, the paths to neutral and earth ground are still connected. The path to live is open and thus no current flows. Whenever I work on computers (desktops, laptops, workstations, and servers) I always work with the cable plugged in and the switch turned off, this ensures that the device is properly grounded.

AGP motherboards have been out of production for many years and so have the graphics cards. I am not aware of any AGP graphics cards being produced since the HD 4650 which was released in 2008.
August 22, 2012 4:55:18 PM

thanks for your answer.
when i wrote new - i mean 'new' as in 'unused'. i bought it a while ago and only recently installed it.

so any ideas what could be wrong with it. it worked 10 minutes earlier in the asus board and after inserting and removing it from a second AsRock board, it no longer generates a signal to the monitor when put back in the asus MB.
assuming there was no physical harm to the card, inflicted by removal and insertion, what could be causing the problem?
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 4:57:17 PM

Check the slot and the connector on the card for anything like dirt ect. Older the board or dirtier the slot the more problems like this comes up.
m
l
August 22, 2012 6:31:42 PM

thanks but thats not the problem either as my (even) older card, which i had to put back in, is working fine - so slots are okay - both on card and MB.
i'm convinced that it had something to do with me pulling out the card with power cable attached (but psu switched off).
relief to hear Pinhedd say that can't be the case, but if not then what else could it be?
by the way:
MB is Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and 'new' card is HIS X1950 pro (agp)
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 7:29:51 PM

Well if the card refuses to work in another machine or board then I suggest that you look for another card. You can still get a card that has up to date driver support. You got the Radeon 2k up through to 4k generations that have some support and DX10. The other is the nvidia Geforce6 and 7. For my somewhat vintage rig I got a 7800gs and two voodoo2 for older games.
m
l
August 22, 2012 9:46:27 PM

thanks for your reply.
i wasn't quite ready to give up.
I blew some canned air into the agp slot of the MB and rubbed the contacts of the graphic card and placed it back into the MB.
I then prayed and switched on the PC and to my relief: it booted up as normal.

thanks everyone who responded.
Its good to know you won't necessarily wreck a graphic card by simply pulling it out the socket whilst power cable is still attached.
BUT it is highly recommended to unplug the PSU completely from power source before doing anything inside the case of your PC.

I especially appreciate words of Pinnhead for giving me hope that what i had done was not the cause of the problem.
I wonder now if besides the dust cleaning, i might not have seated the GPU in its slot properly when i first put it back into the Asus MB - as it is a rather long card and the case is not so roomy.
m
l
August 22, 2012 9:49:07 PM

Best answer selected by ashpah101.
m
l
a c 115 U Graphics card
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 22, 2012 11:45:17 PM

ashpah101 said:
thanks for your reply.
i wasn't quite ready to give up.
I blew some canned air into the agp slot of the MB and rubbed the contacts of the graphic card and placed it back into the MB.
I then prayed and switched on the PC and to my relief: it booted up as normal.

thanks everyone who responded.
Its good to know you won't necessarily wreck a graphic card by simply pulling it out the socket whilst power cable is still attached.
BUT it is highly recommended to unplug the PSU completely from power source before doing anything inside the case of your PC.

I especially appreciate words of Pinnhead for giving me hope that what i had done was not the cause of the problem.
I wonder now if besides the dust cleaning, i might not have seated the GPU in its slot properly when i first put it back into the Asus MB - as it is a rather long card and the case is not so roomy.

I forgot to mention that the PCIe to AGP bridge chip that they use is rather finicky and there have been reports of them dying.

All graphics cards since about 2004 have been speaking PCIe natively at the chip level. If the card is manufactured for AGP/PCI then a bridge chip is used to convert the signals.
m
l
!