Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabit mixed with fast ethernet.

Last response: in Networking
October 7, 2011 11:52:50 PM

I currently have 2 PCs that are directly connected to each other via a 1Gbs Cat6 connection.

I don't currently have a 1Gbs router so what I am doing right now is unhooking this connection and reconnecting both machines to my router when I need internet access. I have ordered some USB Wi-Fi adapters so I can have both machines access the internet that way whilst still use FTP between them on the 1Gbs line.

If I were to scrap that idea and get a 1Gbs hub, connect both PCs straight into that, and then also connect the hub to my 100mbits router, would the 2 computers be able to communicate with each other at 1Gbs and then talk to the router at 100mbits, or would the whole network run at 100mbits.

I don't really want to have to shell out on a 1Gbs router as I don't need anything else on the network to run at that speed.

Jason Edwards

More about : gigabit mixed fast ethernet

Best solution

October 8, 2011 1:49:31 AM

132991,1,926126If I were to scrap that idea and get a 1Gbs hub, connect both PCs straight into that, and then also connect the hub to my 100mbits router, would the 2 computers be able to communicate with each other at 1Gbs and then talk to the router at 100mbits,...

Jason Edwards[/quotemsg said:

Short answer is YES

but you want to buy a Giga Switch not a Hub
October 8, 2011 2:13:10 PM

Thanks for the answer.

Based on the fact I only have the 2 desktop pcs I mentioned and also a laptop and phone on wireless that hardly ever get used, would it be worth getting a switch instead of a hub?

Looking at prices I might as well just replace my router rather than get a decent switch.
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2011 5:00:52 PM

Well it seems they don't make decent quality gigabit hubs anyway as obviously anything with 4-8 ports is going to be designed with being fully loaded where I realize you'd def need a switch. Shame they don't make 3 port gigabit hubs.

Promised myself I'd not buy netgear again but what can go wrong with a switch! Right?

I've kinda decided on "Netgear GS605 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch"
m
l
October 8, 2011 5:28:48 PM

I think the Netgear is a good choice. I have the GS108.

Newegg has the GS105 on sale for $25 + $10 mail in rebate card
m
l
October 8, 2011 5:34:25 PM

Best answer selected by jeproject.
m
l
October 8, 2011 5:36:06 PM

Well I'm in the UK but I can get it on Amazon for £30ish so it's not as expensive as I thought it was going to be. Expected it to be more like £60.

Thanks for your time.
m
l
!