No internet access on 2 laptops

kristieswisher

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I am so frustrated and I hope someone can help with this. First of all, I have Veracity internet service--no modem--internet access is provided through it's own linksys router system, and cable plugs directly into my linksys wrt54g router. I have a desk top (where router is attached) and 2 laptops with wireless. Until yesterday, everything was fine and all computers had internet access. Then, the circuit breaker in the house tripped and had to be reset. Now, I get internet on the desk top, but not the laptops--they have no internet at all. I have reset, reconnected, everything I could think of to do multiple times to get the same result. The laptops are not picking up the home network and if I try to add again manually, I get message saying that it is already there, but I can no longer see it as a choice to connect to, and it is not connecting automatically, as it should do. I am NOT a techie...but boy, do I wish I knew what to do now, lol. I tried accessing my modem's IP directly according to linksys to try and gain access to the online router set-up, but I could not get it to come up. When I try on desk top to check "cmd" to get IP address on computer, I am not able to get info--I can check info in "Network & Sharing" and it doesn't match what I think it should be--the numbers all begin with 66.219...so I think the internet service info is what is populating the IP, gateway and server numbers instead. Desk top computer is running Vista....one laptop Windows 7 and one laptop Vista. Where do I go from here? Thank you!

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

If you have completely reset the router back to factory settings, than the SSID, aka, the name you gave your wireless network, is NOT going to be what it was previously. Its going to default to like "linksys" or something generic.

You're going to have to get into your router settings. According to this guide, http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000000300.pdf, its 192.168.1.1 in your browser. Username is blank, password is "admin". However, theres been many revisions of this router so if you can give the exact model number that would be helpful. For example, this particular version of the wrt54g does not have WPA encryption support, and its also possible the images won't match at all how your settings are laid out.

Now its also quite possible that the wireless side of your router has suffered damage. I've seen that happen before, as I use to live in an area with a lot of electrical surges, and upon diagnosing the issue even after resetting the router back to factory settings, the wireless no longer broadcasted.

kristieswisher

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

Hi--Thank You for your reply. I should clarify that I have not reset the router yet--I have resisted doing that as a last resort. The desk top still recognizes my home network name and displays it in the available networks and is connecting automatically as it should. A big concern I have has been the way my router/internet service is set-up. I am wondering how to configure a new router (or the old one) to work since there is no modem connection directly to the computer--just the the internet cable and blue ethernet cables which attach directly to the back of the computer and my router. I don't know how to configure since the set-up is different than anything I have seen in the instructions. Would I be able to configure it, maybe on a laptop, and then move it to the desk top to hook up? Would that work? I hope I am explaining myself clearly. As for the Linksys model number--it just says WRT54G and I am quite sure it does have WPA--my network is secure and I have a passphrase that has to be used to add it to items on my network--is that what you mean? I am planning to take one of my laptops and hook it directly to the router to see if I can get internet access that way and possibly rule out the laptops as being the problem. That would mean that I would have to reset the router and re-configure and set-up again, or start over with a different router, which I do have a Netgear model WGr614v2 that I can use. Any thoughts?

kristieswisher

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Thank You community for the response to the problem I was having. Turns out that the wireless router was not broadcasting a wireless signal, so I had to buy a new one and all is working well now...Kristie