Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Advice on CPU/MOBO that will run well with GW2

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2012 3:15:55 AM

Currently I am running an Intel P4 dual core 3.0 Ghz ( prescott chip ) , ya its old, but I was able to run games fine up until Guild wars 2. Even Diablo 3 on maximum settings ran fine

Now I can run guild wars in regular PVE mode in high graphics with usually good frame rates, it just PVP that runs my CPU into the ground.

i use an Nvidia 550 GTX Ti card which I plan to keep, its a good card and I might buy another to run in sli.

I would like some advice on a good Mobo/CPU combo that is battle tested with games like Guild Wars 2 or games that usually are more CPU intensive.

I have no preference on chipset honestly, I just want to stay within $700.00 if possible.

So with that said I need a MOBO/CPU, new RAM of course and then possibly advice on Cooling for the Mobo. I will be buying a new case as well, but I want to focus on the above first.

Any advice is appreciated. now I have been reading through forums, and checking out some of the Mobo's from newegg, but I would rather get advice from people who have good rigs that run high performance games. Thanks

Best solution

a c 190 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 3:36:30 AM

$700 is a lot for just a CPU+mobo+RAM, so I could fit a 7870+PSU as well. This will be a lot faster than your P4, and destroy the 550Ti. You can also get a $30 cooler and OC it; if you don't plan to then get a 3470 instead, and maybe a cheaper mobo. The PSU in here will support a second 7870 in CF too.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($133.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $672.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
October 16, 2012 4:03:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure that is the CPU I am gonna get.

I was looking at this MOBO as well which works with that chipset, Is the Gigabyte more reliable?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power supply looks like a great recommendation too as well as memory nice cost.

i seen alot of reviews for this cooling, any thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and thanks for the advice on this site http://pcpartpicker.com/, first time I've seen it but is awesome.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 4:10:32 AM

The Gigabyte should OC better. ASRock don't have the best reputation, but are improving. Gigabyte is considered pretty good usually.

The cooler is awesome, but if you only plan to OC a little then the CM Hyper 212 Evo is much cheaper.
m
l
October 16, 2012 4:48:38 AM

ASRock motherboards are fine, they have good reputation especially in this generation. Gigabyte has great reputation since they have been in the business way longer and make good quality boards.

In short, both have great quality. :lol: 

That ASRock you linked in particular though, does not support SLI/Crossfire.
I suggest the ASRock z77 Exteme3 or 4.

Also, I'm pretty sure GW2 isn't a CPU-heavy game. It heavily relies on the GPU.
May I ask what resolution you play in, as well as if your OS is 32- or 64- bit?

I have a feeling it's the 550 Ti's 1gb VRAM that's crippling your game experience with it, so +1 to Someone Somewhere's GPU suggestion.
m
l
October 17, 2012 3:56:44 AM

1680 X1024 , that all my monitor is capable of.

windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

Lastly any advice on a good case
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
October 17, 2012 4:42:17 AM

It really all depends on your tastes. There's a huge selection of good cases out there.

I would suggest getting one with front panel USB3.0 (to a header, not passthrough).

Make sure you read a review on it before you buy it to check that there are no horrific design errors. Cooling shouldn't be a major issue with the GPUs and CPUs above.
m
l
October 24, 2012 3:35:34 AM

Best answer selected by inz0mn1ak.
m
l
!