Sign in with
Your question

Replacement fan for Heatsink?

Last response: in Components
February 28, 2013 3:45:52 AM

Hey,
I just installed a Xigmatek Dark Knight II in my build. It's cooling my Intel i5 3470 and idle load temps are 30/50-55c Load. The fan, however, is a tad bit too loud for my liking so I am wondering what *specific* fans would work well to replace the current heat sink fan?...keeping in mind static pressure and CFM...
February 28, 2013 4:50:30 AM

First, how are you controlling the fan? You should be running off of a fan controller (motherboard or external). That way the fan is not always running full speed. Even the quietest fan is loud at full speed.

Second, the best thing you can do is to add more cooling. A better fan might give you a 20% reduction in noise (just guessing) through more efficiently designed airflow, but adding a second fan will allow you to run both fans much slower, greatly decreasing the total noise.

From personal experience, these large CPU coolers work best with Push-Pull setups. Get 2 $10 Cooler Master fans and play with the speeds until you find your balance of cooling and noise.
February 28, 2013 5:10:54 AM

Ok what I am doing currently is I went into my uefi bios and I set the heat sink fan speed to manual and i set it to the lowest possible setting so its very quiet and keeps my temps at 30c idle...then I have it set to rev up once it reaches 50c...so thats what im doing right now....So how much more efficient is a push/pull setup than just one fan?..in your experience..?
Related resources
February 28, 2013 6:12:22 AM

GolfPro24 said:
Ok what I am doing currently is I went into my uefi bios and I set the heat sink fan speed to manual and i set it to the lowest possible setting so its very quiet and keeps my temps at 30c idle...then I have it set to rev up once it reaches 50c...so thats what im doing right now....So how much more efficient is a push/pull setup than just one fan?..in your experience..?

Push-pull will improve cooling and reduce noise, however finding the proper fans and setting things up might not be that easy. I doubt you'll find a single fan with the specs you require that would be much quieter than what you have unless you sacrifice the maximum cooling.

Your fan I think provides a maximum of 90CFM at 2200RPM. If you got TWO FANS, you'd probably want ones that can produce about 60CFM each. You'd also:
a) require the rubber grommets to attach the fans (both same direction so air is force either right-to-left, or bottom-to-top towards your top/rear case fan.)

b) require either a CPU_1 and CPU_2 fan connection, or just the normal CPU_FAN but you connect BOTH fans together so you'd need fans that can do that or a special adapter to join them. (and the maximum Amperage for both must be within the CPU_FAN tolerance)

c) must be PWM if that's what your motherboard supports

d) must be half-decent fans or you won't reduce the noise.

*I didn't have much like finding anything great that was reasonably priced. If your fairly satisfied now with the noise using the fan control I suggest sticking with your setup as is, or else consider replacing the entire cooler with something better.
February 28, 2013 2:49:01 PM

See that's just the thing..I love the quiet aspect ha..it kind of screws me over most of the time..its really hard finding great fans that the noise is low enough for what i want and the cfm is worth it...
February 28, 2013 3:47:33 PM

I was also thinking would it work to just install a fan such as this..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... just have a static rpm fan cooling and not a PMW equipped fan? because then it would just be running at 1200 rpm..which then would it not just keep idle temps very low and then when the temp did increase it would just cool it...you know?...because the noise level for the fan i linked above is about 18 decibels which is basically about inaudible so the noise would not really be an issue..? Hit me with some thoughts/ideas/experiences...thanks.
March 1, 2013 8:41:56 PM

I replaced a noisy masscool 120mm cooler fan with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , about 3c cooler and no noise , dead silent even at full speed . Costs a bit but comes with lots of adapters and is built really well , the rubber coating on the frame cuts down on vibrations , the 140mm fan for 10.00 with free shipping is a great deal , ordered 3
!