Scandalism in ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Im hoping someone could help me with this one. For the past 3 years my Download and upload speed has been horrific, the download speed would be 40kbps and upload would be 20 kbps. I tried fixing it let alone my self and gave up on it for a while.

I get a letter in the mail Sept 14,2011 saying that my typical bronze edition subscription (downstream 384 kbps - What i should be getting - has been upgraded to 512kbps ) My upstream rate will remain at 256kbps. I waited a week for it to change maybe just to get it going. My download and upload speed increaesed by 10kbps... :heink:

To me its a bit of a scam in a way, im paying what i should be getting but not nearly enough for what i should be getting as in speed wise. Im thinking about calling my ISP tomorrow, ay suggestions i should bring up to try to fix this?

( i can't even load a simple youtube vieo without having to wait double the time the video actually is..)

Thanks

Solution
The ISP is basically correct. How?????
Well this is the con principle used in nearly all countries and people especially don't understand it is because they are not well versed with the technical terminology of bandwidth.
If you take them to court you'll loose. If you do anything against them, you'll loose :(
Reason:
On the contract that you signed, they have mentioned the speed of your line/link to you. It is very clearly mentioned 384Kbps.
That is equal to 48KBps...... get it??? I don't think you did.....
Let me explain the basics....
The major difference is the way they write the "KBPS" one is Kilo bits per second" and the other is "Kilo Bytes per second". Now do you get it?
8 Bits make a Byte..... so technically 384/8=48
So you...
Check the telecommunication regulation in your country. There is likely something like guarantee of service. If your internet is not meeting that standard, e.g. lower than the minimum guarantee of service speed, or the actual speed to too low compared with the advertised speed, you can raise the issue with the consumer protection organisation in your country, elevate the problem so that the company will fix it for you.

The ISP is basically correct. How?????
Well this is the con principle used in nearly all countries and people especially don't understand it is because they are not well versed with the technical terminology of bandwidth.
If you take them to court you'll loose. If you do anything against them, you'll loose :(
Reason:
On the contract that you signed, they have mentioned the speed of your line/link to you. It is very clearly mentioned 384Kbps.
That is equal to 48KBps...... get it??? I don't think you did.....
Let me explain the basics....
The major difference is the way they write the "KBPS" one is Kilo bits per second" and the other is "Kilo Bytes per second". Now do you get it?
8 Bits make a Byte..... so technically 384/8=48
So you speed is basically allowed to go to a max of 48 Kilo Bytes per second (KBps).
Which is 384 Kilobits per second also (Kbps)

Solution

bravo95

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Alright, good point thank you Pyree and alyoshka. Just seem odd to me, i understand the converstions between a kilo byte, and bytes. Seemed a little missleading to me was all. 512 KBps, then the actual rate would be 60 KBps. Needed a break down was all. Start looking into an upgrade package then. Thank you~ !

Status
Not open for further replies.