Rugged Digital SLR?

Last response: in Digital Camera
November 22, 2004 1:59:40 AM

I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit dirty or
sandy damp.

I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but I
would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.

Thanks.

--
Scott Robert Ladd
site: http://www.coyotegulch.com

More about : rugged digital slr

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 8:13:49 AM

Get a new D1H from eBay for around $1100. It is built around the F5 body and
can be used to hammer in nails. The D1H is no longer produced and sold by
Nikon.

Gregor

"Scott Robert Ladd" <coyote@coyotegulch.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.22.03.59.40.22623@coyotegulch.com...
>I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit dirty or
> sandy damp.
>
> I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but I
> would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Scott Robert Ladd
> site: http://www.coyotegulch.com
> blog: http://chaoticcoyote.blogspot.com

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:01:48 PM

Call that advice ? Dead end products bought on eBay ?

No, buy NEW products with full support from "reputable" vendors.

Dave

"GTO" <gregor_o@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
| Get a new D1H from eBay for around $1100. It is built around the F5 body and
| can be used to hammer in nails. The D1H is no longer produced and sold by
| Nikon.
|
| Gregor
|
| "Scott Robert Ladd" <coyote@coyotegulch.com> wrote in message
| news:p an.2004.11.22.03.59.40.22623@coyotegulch.com...
| >I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit dirty or
| > sandy damp.
| >
| > I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but I
| > would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.
| >
| > Thanks.
| >
| > --
| > Scott Robert Ladd
| > site: http://www.coyotegulch.com
| > blog: http://chaoticcoyote.blogspot.com

November 22, 2004 4:51:44 PM

Canon EOS 1DMark2

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:59:40 -0500, Scott Robert Ladd
<coyote@coyotegulch.com> wrote:

>I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit dirty or
>sandy damp.
>
>I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but I
>would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.
>
>Thanks.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 9:32:54 PM

Scott Robert Ladd <coyote@coyotegulch.com> writes:
> I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit
> dirty or sandy damp.
>
> I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but
> I would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.

Nikon D1h. Built like a tank. Slightly Better than your
specification resolutionwise (2000 x 1312 px). Sensor is
1.5x crop - which is nice for tele.
When you say you live in the real world, which one are you referring to?
November 23, 2004 1:49:48 AM

> Call that advice ? Dead end products bought on eBay ?
>
> No, buy NEW products with full support from "reputable" vendors.
>
> Dave

Do you mean people should not buy second hands cameras? I don't know any
sub$1K DSLR cameras can be classified as rugged. If D1H suits his needs,
what's the big deal?
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 2:08:52 AM

In article <pan.2004.11.22.03.59.40.22623@coyotegulch.com>,
Scott Robert Ladd <coyote@coyotegulch.com> wrote:

> I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit dirty or
> sandy damp.
>
> I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but I
> would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.

The Olympus E1 was designed especially for you.

Check out this site: http://homepage.mac.com/lsippu/Menu3.html
of Finnish Photographer Lauri Sippu.
;-)
Lourens
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 9:37:10 PM

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
> I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit dirty or
> sandy damp.
>
> I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but I
> would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.
>
> Thanks.

If you have Canon-mount lenses, look for the Canon EOS 1D. It has a
magnesium-alloy body, and has rubber seals everywhere to keep out dust
and other unwanted gifts from nature.

you can find reviews and info about it at the popular digital camera
review sites like DPReview.com

--
Whatevah / Jerry Horn
Jerry {at} Whatevah.com (working address)

Scott,
I would recommend an Olympus E-1 digital. All of the controls are
sealed, and the body is very solid & rugged. I purchased mine with a
Zuiko15-54mm zoom, but have just recently purchased a Zuiko 50-200mm zoom
for it. The image quality is excellant, IMHO.

Randy L.

"Scott Robert Ladd" <coyote@coyotegulch.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.11.22.03.59.40.22623@coyotegulch.com...
>I need a rugged digital SLR -- one that can stand getting a bit dirty or
> sandy damp.
>
> I don't need a huge resolution (1600x1200 is probably adequate), but I
> would like good telephoto performance for wildlife photography.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Scott Robert Ladd
> site: http://www.coyotegulch.com
> blog: http://chaoticcoyote.blogspot.com

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 2:18:10 AM

No. Don't buy 2cnd hand dSLRs via eBay.

But them through places that can provide a warranty or someone you know. A place where you
can pick up the camera and examine it, look at the lenses, see if it works properly, etc.

There are too many rip-offs via eBay.

Dave

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:cnuc1402soa@news4.newsguy.com...
| > Call that advice ? Dead end products bought on eBay ?
| >
| > No, buy NEW products with full support from "reputable" vendors.
| >
| > Dave
|
| Do you mean people should not buy second hands cameras? I don't know any
| sub$1K DSLR cameras can be classified as rugged. If D1H suits his needs,
| what's the big deal?

Anonymous
November 24, 2004 2:29:07 AM

NEVER buy a camera from someone you know........... NO NO......Scratch that
Never SELL a camera to someone you know!

;-)

PDW

> No. Don't buy 2cnd hand dSLRs via eBay.
>
> But them through places that can provide a warranty or someone you know.
> A place where you
> can pick up the camera and examine it, look at the lenses, see if it works
> properly, etc.
>
> There are too many rip-offs via eBay.
>
> Dave
>

> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> | > Call that advice ? Dead end products bought on eBay ?
> | >
> | > No, buy NEW products with full support from "reputable" vendors.
> | >
> | > Dave
> |
> | Do you mean people should not buy second hands cameras? I don't know any
> | sub$1K DSLR cameras can be classified as rugged. If D1H suits his needs,
> | what's the big deal?

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:10:40 AM

"Randy L." <rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Scott,
> I would recommend an Olympus E-1 digital. All of the controls are
> sealed, and the body is very solid & rugged. I purchased mine with a
> Zuiko15-54mm zoom, but have just recently purchased a Zuiko 50-200mm zoom
> for it. The image quality is excellant, IMHO.

I second this. Tough. Sealed. And a 2x crop for better telephoto weight
for application.
!