I searched and was unable to find specifics. I have a Nforce 790i Ultra motherboard, with a Core 2 quad Q9300 OC @ 3.4. With 4 GB of ram. Corsair GS700 power supply. Currently I'm running gtx 550ti in SLI (got one for free). I'm wanting the 660ti non SLI. With the new Kepler architecture, is that possible, or will I bottleneck?
I'd wait a bit to upgrade. Dual 550Ti cards should be able to run just about anything out there at High settings with good frame rates. In another 2 years maybe, you will have i9 or whatever CPU is up next, and another 2 gens of video cards, plus maybe a generation of game tech to move up to.
If you have issues with things running well on the SLI setup, then new card is good, other than that, it's just spending money for a marginal upgrade. 60fps on high is pretty much equal to anything higher.
I guess it's worth mentioning that I'm still in my return window for one of the 550ti. It's also my understanding that one higher performing card, is better than two lesser cards.
If I'm able to run a 660ti efficiently now, with possibly a SLI in the future, Wouldn't that be the best route to follow?
Btw, I've got about $400 to spend.
In theory, yes a single fast card is better than two, and you can setup two of them in the future for even more speed. But no need unless you have issues with something now. Just because it's there, is not a good reason to upgrade, no value in it.
Some people just like to have the fastest thing out there, if you just want the card, get it, but it won't make much difference over what you have now. I may not be the best person for upgrade advice though, I always look at the value of the upgrade instead of just if it will make things a bit faster. Let's say your current system can play your games on High settings at 40-60fps. If you spend a few 100 on a new video card, you maybe will be able to play on Very High on 40-60 or High at 80. Worth it? Not to me. If you have a new game and it's running at 30fps of less, or you need to go to Low or Medium settings, then yea.
If you can return/sell your two video cards and use that money for the new card, go for it. I would not spend more than $50 on an upgrade of my own money in this situation though.