Who did 3ware piss off?

G

Tom's hardware finally gets around to reviewing IDE RAID controllers, but, just like Anandtech, he completely ignores the fastest controller out there: 3ware

The 3ware escalade controllers are far faster then anything else out there. Here is a small sample from the storagereview.com database:

IOMeter - Workstation Access Pattern - Load = Heavy *
IOMeter Tests IO/sec MB/sec Response Time CPU Util. IO/CPU%
3Ware Escalade 7410, RAID 1, 2 Drives 169.10 1.32 1512.71 ms 3.08 % 54.90
Promise FastTrak 100, RAID 1, 2 Drives 102.78 0.80 2486.14 ms 2.13 % 48.25
Adaptec ATA RAID 1200A, RAID 1, 2 Drives 106.26 0.83 2404.92 ms 7.16 % 14.84
Iwill SIDE-RAID100, RAID 1, 2 Drives 112.13 0.88 2279.44 ms 1.69 % 66.35
AMI MegaRAID IDE100, RAID 1, 2 Drives 109.83 0.86 2326.90 ms 2.62 % 41.92

So what's the deal? Tom didn't do his homework?
How else can you explain ignoring a controller that beats the competition by up to 65% in throughput?

BTW: I highly reccomend storagereview. One of there best features is the consistency of the results they present which makes it easy to compare products from different reviews. They also have a nice database for looking up/comparing results.

<i>The early bird gets the worm...
but the second mouse gets the cheese!</i>

G

Wow, you're right, it's not even listed on their site anymore.

When did that happen? I just priced one a few weeks ago for a project I'm working on.

That's pretty sad, they led the field by a large margin, and didn't cost much more then the run of the mill software based controllers.

To bad.

And I apologize for my complaint about Tom's Hardware ignoring a product that doesn't exist anymore. (It did when the Anandtech review came out though).

<i>The early bird gets the worm...
but the second mouse gets the cheese!</i>

wseaton

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
I found out today from "unofficial sources" that 3ware Corp has been wanting to get out of the peripheral market and focus more on the "smart" network appliance market. This leaves Adaptec as the sole producer of true IDE RAID cards, and they are much more expensive. All the ATA100 cards mentioned in the rewiew are basically "accelerators", bang on your CPU like a Winmodem and inferior to 3ware's ATA66 Escalade cards. I've tested them....

3ware cards are still all over the place and one should have been included in the review as a reference because they are still popular and available. I'm also backing my complaint/E-mail to Tom's site because they didn't include the 3ware and are still promoting low end, integrated IDE technology.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Maybe they'll do a follow-up review. Lots of people demanded Audigy reviews (when it wasn't included in the "Not a SoundBlaster" review), and suddenly, two days later, there it was. They were really embarrassed :)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>