Overclocking fx6300 on stock cooler

Whambo

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hey guys as you can guess im new to overclocking actually you can say im new to computer gaming as well since i didn't play computer games since 5 years.. So i built a gaming rig , nothing too fancy just enough to play games without hassle. I put a fx6300 and i bought a zalman 7500 cu led because i knew i was gonna overclock ( all the talk and showing off got me ) but i couldn't get it on the cpu :( i just put the stock cooler till i figured it , but it seems my temperatures aren't bad at all! I have about 20-25C at idle and between 55-60C on various stress tests.. I put the overclock on 3.8ghz to be on the safe side but i wanted to know if temperatures are all i need to worry about? I got a 970 extreme4 mobo and 630w psu and gtx660 ( gigabyte OC ) and i have a raidmax case with 4 fans ( side,front,rear,top ) it's very cool inside the case too..? So any helps appreciated guys THNks! :D

Solution
Your idling 20-25c @ 3.8ghz? That is pretty good for the stock cooler in my opinion. I installed a FX6200 with the stock cooler a few months ago, never oc'd with the stock cooler and was getting about 27-28c @3.8. I installed a Arctic A30 cooler and turned up the cpu to 4.3ghz...i'm idling around 28c again and 59c under full load. If your wanting to over-clock your chip pretty high, i'd go ahead and start looking to upgrade that stock cooler, otherwise looks like your fine temp wise.

Dashman9000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Your idling 20-25c @ 3.8ghz? That is pretty good for the stock cooler in my opinion. I installed a FX6200 with the stock cooler a few months ago, never oc'd with the stock cooler and was getting about 27-28c @3.8. I installed a Arctic A30 cooler and turned up the cpu to 4.3ghz...i'm idling around 28c again and 59c under full load. If your wanting to over-clock your chip pretty high, i'd go ahead and start looking to upgrade that stock cooler, otherwise looks like your fine temp wise.

Solution

Whambo

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Ok my bad i was using core temp which was way off, i realized it in the bios.. So i got fanspeed and it's more realistic now.. About 38-40c on idle and got up to 55c with heavyload for like 5 minutes.. I did go back to 3.5ghz though and replaced the paste with arctic 5.. Anyway i will get a cooler either way. I don't want anything real fancy or huge like a hyper 212 just something to keep the cpu "cool" without breaking the bank.. Thinking about, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999050 . $15 dollars for copper face, two copper heatsinks and a quiet fan... Looks good on paper ?

TRENDING THREADS