Upgrading G210, need advice!

yst222

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Hey guys! I'm finally updating my 210 and I am really excited and anxious about this whole ordeal since it's my first time doing this sort of thing. :??:
I have these newbie worries like 'breaking my new card when I try to insert it' and 'card not being compatible with motherboard etc etc. I'm pretty sure I've done sufficient research that I shouldn't be worrying, but any other informed opinion would relieve me greatly!
Sorry about the life story, here's the important stuff :p

GPUs I am considering:

Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 or Radeon HD 7750
Okay I was pretty much won over by this article and after some further google researching I've found many similar opinions.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html

I have a few concerns I'd like to address here so I will number them so they are easier to answer!
1. TBH I'm really really leaning towards the 7750 as the greater specs (bigger numbers) are really attractive to a newbie like me but I'm thinking maybe it's overkill and perhaps I can make do with the 6670.
Since I'm upgrading from a 210 any upgrade would feel phenomenal right?

2. Also, the fact that the 7750 actually uses less power seems really nice as I have a pretty weak (300w) PSU. I'm afraid that my PSU will not be enough to run these cards and that would be absolutely devastating finding out first hand.

3. One last worry: I've read and also been told by a not-so-credible source that since my motherboard can support the G210, it means I can run other PCI-Express x16 cards? 2.0 and 3.0? (Probably sounded like a massive noob just then :p)
Something about motherboards being backwards compatible. Just clarifying!

Thank you very much for answers!

Approximate Purchase Date: This week (probably tomorrow!), a very tight $100~ budget.
My parents' money so I can't afford to indulge :p

Usage from most to least important: Gaming, playing Dota 2 and Diablo 3. I can run both these games on low-low/medium settings (somehow) and I'm fine with that, except at times it can get very laggy. Also, there are graphical glitches appearing and random graphic spikes, hence the need to upgrade.
Also there are a lot of Flash Player related crashes when loading multiple YouTube videos or when loading twitch.tv streams, not sure if that's relevant.

Current GPU and Power Supply: Nvidia GeForce 210, 300w Liteon PS-5301-08HF

Other relevant system specs:
Media Centre PC M8000 seems to be my current computer. I bought this second hand for $200 about 2 years ago so I'm not sure if all the parts are stock parts.

Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300@1.80GHz 1.80GHz
3.00GB RAM
32-bit Operating System

Preferred website(s) for parts:
Will buy at 'MSY' NSW, Australia. Yes, I am not familiar with online shopping :D

Parts Preferences: No preference, suggestions welcome! I'll probably lean towards whichever is cheapest though. It seems I can get the Sapphire/HIS 7750 for $99AUD. Sounds great to me!

Overclocking: Maybe, doubt I'll feel the need to.

Monitor Resolution:
1280x1024 I like to play my games Windowed or Borderless Windowed to make alt-tabbing easier - not sure if relevant.

Additional Comments:
Since I am on a tight budget I prefer not to have to buy any extra parts like a new PSU/motherboard. All that I am looking to upgrade is my GPU.

Thank you for reading this mess, any input is appreciated! :D

TRENDING THREADS