Change boot sequence in Asus Motherboard

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
This is a new first build. It worked fine for 3 days. Now, suddenly, every time I shut the computer down and try to start up, I get the message to press F1 and recover the bios settings. No matter how many times I set the sequence, the bios won't save it. However if I just restart instead of shutting down it works fine.

I have updated to the latest bios and it remains the same. All I have installed is the hard drive and a dvd.

Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Processor Amd 5800k
MB Asus F2 A85-V Pro
Memory 16 (2x8) Corsair Vengenance
HD Western Digital 500MB 64 megs cach
PSU 550w Antec Modular
O/S Windows 7 Professional

I have tried to change a couple of the settings in the bios, but the simple changes that I try, they are never saved. Should anyone be kind enough to offer suggestions, please be specific as to technicality for I an not learned as to building a computer. I am just a novice. I am retired and the wife needs a new computer, so I decided to give it a go. Everything was fine until this happened.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Solution
Check one quick thing. On the mobo near the battery is a set of three pins with a jumper block over 2 of them. This is used to temporarily "kill" the battery power supply to the BIOS and wipe it clean so it can be re-loaded with basic default settings. Make sure the jumper is NOT on the two pins for "Reset" - they should be on the other end for normal operation.

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Since you removed and replaced the battery, there are two other things you should do. The first is to restore a reliable set of parameters in BIOS, and then use a BIOS tool to make your changes stick.

Boot into BIOS Setup by holding down the "Del" key as it boots. On the EZ Mode screen (Manual page 3-2) at top right click on the Exit / Advanced Mode tab. See Manual page 3-32 for its contents. Choose the first option to Load a complete set of Optimized Defaults into BIOS. Then click on the second choice, Save Changes and Reset.

Your system should reboot cleanly. As it does, hold down "Del" again to re-enter BIOS setup. Now make any changes you need, including setting the clock. When you are done, go back to that Exit / Advance Mode screen and use that Save and Reset choice again. Unless you do this, your changes are lost.

Now your system should reboot with the changes permanent. After you have shut down completely and re-start later, those changes should still be in place.

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I did as you suggested. I'm sorry to say, it didn't hold when I shut it down. However, I went through the whole thing again. I won't shut it down until I need to. Thank you so much for your advice. There is some hope here.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check one quick thing. On the mobo near the battery is a set of three pins with a jumper block over 2 of them. This is used to temporarily "kill" the battery power supply to the BIOS and wipe it clean so it can be re-loaded with basic default settings. Make sure the jumper is NOT on the two pins for "Reset" - they should be on the other end for normal operation.

Solution

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

The jumper is fine. Thanks for responding.
I think I have, by chance, discovered what could be the problem. It seems that I have purchased and installed incompatible memory. I was on a chat with Asus support and the rep very gleefully told me this. It seems the last number in the model # ends with a 9 and as high as it should go is a 7. He is correct. I downloaded the latest manual for the motherboard. It shows all compatible brands and options and my memory is not in it.

I spent quite a while deciding which and how much memory to install. It seems I was flat careless after all. But the memory worked great for 3 days and works great now except for the afore mentioned. Do you think this is causing this problem? I'm going to get new memory and am hoping this will take care of it. I would hate to do that and still have this mess to cope with.

Thank you for your time.

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2 x 8gb) CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
According to the manual this is the wrong model plus the wrong size. In order to get 16 gb ram you would have to use 4 x 4gb.
The only Corsair it mentions in 1600 are 2gb and 4gb. The same in 1866. The manual I'm looking at was dated as of
31 Jan. 2013. Please bear with me. I'm not trying to argue.

As you probably already know, this mb has 4 slots, that could be filled to make 64 mb. However I think as of now, only 32 will work. Actually 8gb would be sufficient for my needs, now and forever. If I have to replace it I'm going to go with 2x4 of 1866.

Thanks again for your time.

Regards

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Good grief! I had looked in the wrong place for that jumper you mentioned to clear the cmos. I was reading through the manual and I ran across the page talking about that. The jumper is located in the bottom right corner of the motherboard and it is just above the connection where you connect the front panel wires. There is no jumper on this connection. No jumper at all. Could this be the problem? If so, I have looked high and low and can't find one. Could I get something to jump it, say at a place like Radio Shack? I feel like an idiot.

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Simon, you are da man. The problem was the CMOS switch. I went out to a pc repair and he gave me the jumper. I shut it down and it booted up just the way it's supposed to. So all is fine here.

Now, as to the ram. Do you think I should get another type of memory? Since it is working now, should I stay with the one I already have, even though it isn't on the compatibility list? Whew! What a relief.

Thank you so much for all the time you have donated to my ignorance.

Regards

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Doc, I made the mistake of crediting someone else with the solution to my problem. I did choose this one as the best answer, for it allowed me to correct something amiss. In case you haven't read further, the jumper on the CMOS switch was gone. I got another one, plugged it into the switch, and walla, it was gone.

Thank you so much.

Regards

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am somewhat amazed at all of this. I certainly would not expect the RAM you have to cause such a problem. Nor would I expect that RAM to be incompatible with your mobo. The ASUS Tech Support rep, I suspect, does NOT know all the fine details and is relying totally on the published list of RAM. That's a PYA move, because only the items on that list are guaranteed by ASUS to work, and they can't be held responsible if something not on their list does not work. Personally, I'm pretty sure simon12 is right.

I also am surprised that NOT having a jumper on the pair of pins for "normal" operation might be a problem. I always assumed that putting the jumper on the "BIOS Reset" pair was for that task only, and that putting them on the other pair was a "do-nothing" storage position. Maybe I have been wrong on that.

Whatever, I'm glad you got it working! And thanks for the BA.

S Ray

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

It was noted on the manual page about the CMOS switch, that if the jumper was removed that it wouldn't boot. When I read that I jumped into the car and tried a nearby Radio Shack that didn't have one. So I drove out to a tech's business that I have used a couple times. He found one laying around and gave it to me.

I had rearranged the cables after I got every thing working and I must have knocked it off. It's so small you probably couldn't find it lying on the floor. After reading that in the manual I just knew this was it. Again, my fondest thanks.

Regards