Graphics card purchase advice

I recently built myself a new machine consisting of an Asus P8Z77-V Pro mobo, Intel i7-3770K CPU, 16 GB RAM, and a Corsair H80 liquid cooling system in a CoolerMaster HAF-X tower. Oh, and a 128GB OCZ Vertek 4 SSD for my C drive running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Plus I have a pair of 3TB and a pair of 2TB HDD's for storage.

I am not into gamming but I am the (randomly educated) go-to guy for archiving family videos. I still have hundreds of DV cassette tapes, VHS tapes, and Super8 mm films to go through. Capturing, cleaning and digitizing.
I live in fear of the lossy algorithms used by 99% of the comercial 8 mm film archival companies found on-line.

Unfortunately, the not inexpensive graphics card which was used with my former socket 775 and quad CPU system will not play nice with my new system. I am hopeful that my Hauppaugh WinTV HVR 2250 video capture card which has TV cable RF in, S-video in, and L-R stereo in, will work with my new system.

Because of the improved graphics capability of the Intel Ivy Bridge chips, I am unsure if I even need a discreet graphics card at all (only for video out?).

BTW, it is not chisled in stone but I would prefer a graphics card that consumed only one slot at the rear of the PC chassis.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card purchase advice
  1. Just try the on board gpu then and see if it is enough.

Otherwise maybe

Top gpu needing only 1 slot
  2. GreenDutchAlien said:
    Just try the on board gpu then and see if it is enough.

Otherwise maybe

Top gpu needing only 1 slot

Tks robjordy,
    I am currently happy with the on-board gpu out.
    The PowerColor card seems to be a dead end.
    Whatever happened to dual DVI out? HDMI is nice but who needs VGA?
    Any further suggestions will be gratefully received.
  3. I am leaning toward the EVGA 01G-P3-1431-KR GeForce GT 430 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Single-Slot card,

This thread should now be closed.
    Tks, Captmcnet
  4. Best answer
    Ok, just select the best answer award and it will be closed by a mod.

Gt430 sounds ok for what you wanna do.

Good luck.
  5. Best answer selected by captmcnet.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics