Graphics card purchase advice

captmcnet

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I recently built myself a new machine consisting of an Asus P8Z77-V Pro mobo, Intel i7-3770K CPU, 16 GB RAM, and a Corsair H80 liquid cooling system in a CoolerMaster HAF-X tower. Oh, and a 128GB OCZ Vertek 4 SSD for my C drive running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Plus I have a pair of 3TB and a pair of 2TB HDD's for storage.

I am not into gamming but I am the (randomly educated) go-to guy for archiving family videos. I still have hundreds of DV cassette tapes, VHS tapes, and Super8 mm films to go through. Capturing, cleaning and digitizing.
I live in fear of the lossy algorithms used by 99% of the comercial 8 mm film archival companies found on-line.

Unfortunately, the not inexpensive graphics card which was used with my former socket 775 and quad CPU system will not play nice with my new system. I am hopeful that my Hauppaugh WinTV HVR 2250 video capture card which has TV cable RF in, S-video in, and L-R stereo in, will work with my new system.

Because of the improved graphics capability of the Intel Ivy Bridge chips, I am unsure if I even need a discreet graphics card at all (only for video out?).

BTW, it is not chisled in stone but I would prefer a graphics card that consumed only one slot at the rear of the PC chassis.
Recomendations?

captmcnet

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Tks robjordy,
I am currently happy with the on-board gpu out.
The PowerColor card seems to be a dead end.
Whatever happened to dual DVI out? HDMI is nice but who needs VGA?
Any further suggestions will be gratefully received.

captmcnet

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I am leaning toward the EVGA 01G-P3-1431-KR GeForce GT 430 Video Card - 1GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Single-Slot card,

This thread should now be closed.
Tks, Captmcnet