HP printer

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 6:04:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
one....

In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.

Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
that but re the real photo printers.

--
John McWilliams

More about : printer

Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 6:35:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I see on the back of the HP ink cartridges with the Vivendi inks "Nov
2005".
So, Hp cartridges must have a limited shelf life.

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
> one....
>
> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>
> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> that but re the real photo printers.
>
> --
> John McWilliams
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 6:39:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would just
go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality is
better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and the
prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating or
ink will run if they get wet

Wayne

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
> an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
> "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
>
> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>
> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> that but re the real photo printers.
>
> --
> John McWilliams
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 7:40:58 AM

wayne wrote:

> a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would just
> go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality is
> better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and the
> prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating or
> ink will run if they get wet

I'm not talking about 4x6, or even 5x7s. My local places also don't know
beans about printer profiles, but rely on human intervention. Good for
many, not what I want.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

You have a very valid point there. I myself use a descent colour printer
when I need a print right away for some type of demonstration, or display. I
go to a professional photo print place, when I need a print for a permanent
application. I also found that printing photos myself is much more
expensive, and are not as good as when done on an elaborate commercial
printing system.

--

Jerry G.
======

"wayne" <notme@example.com> wrote in message
>a photo printer depends on what you want to do with it. I myself would
>just go to local place and print there cost is the same or less and quality
>is better if the picture is too dark or light they will redo for free and
>the prints can get wet and not run. Inkjet unless you have special coating
>or ink will run if they get wet
>
> Wayne
>
> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
>> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
>> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
>> one....
>>
>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
>> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
>> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
>> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>>
>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
>> that but re the real photo printers.
>>
>> --
>> John McWilliams

November 23, 2004 11:51:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <30grv6F2u4jf5U1@uni-berlin.de>, jerryg-consultNOSPAM@ca.inter.net
says...
> >> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> >> that but re the real photo printers.
> >>
> >> --
> >> John McWilliams

ALL new HP Cartridges have a date built into them.
SOME of the printers will refuse to print after that date (mostly the newer
PhotoSmarts will stop)

I have an old HP 952C which ignores the dates on its carts. A newer model (I
dont remember the model #) that uses the same carts will stop on the cutoff
date.

I dont think there have been any more new HP printers that use the same carts
as the 952C.

The HP PHOTOSMARTS 7350, and up all stop on expiration dates, but the carts
are so tiny, if you print a few pictures a month you'll use 'em up before
they expire.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

John McWilliams wrote:

> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
> one....
>
> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>
> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> that but re the real photo printers.

comp.periphs.scanners would be the right place for these questions.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 2:09:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
> an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
> "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
>
> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>
> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
> that but re the real photo printers.
>
> --
> John McWilliams

In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't mean
"completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy, for when I
really need it.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 8:13:55 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> John McWilliams wrote:
>
>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have
>> only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the
>> black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart
>> one....
>>
>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
>> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
>> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
>> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>>
>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
>> that but re the real photo printers.
>

> comp.periphs.scanners would be the right place for these questions.

Would it, now?

--

John McWilliams
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

>Are these HP carts subject to date expiry?

Mot probably yes.

I fell to this HP deadfall completely. I bought the HP Officejet
d155xi network device (all in one type, it was well over 1000 euros)
about two years ago and honestly this is the most evil-minded product
marketing technique I have never seen.

The ink cartridges have an IC chip, the sole purpose of that chip is
to expire the cartridge at some preset date set by HP. There is no way
around this bitchiness, even if the cartridge is full of ink the
printer does not accept it. Also the printer will not print in B/W
mode if only the 3color cartridge is out dated by its chip. And it
will not print in color in case only the black cartridge is out dated
by its chip.

As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
or they have their own expiration chip.

So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.

I will never ever buy any HP product.

Timo Autiokari
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 23, 2004 10:51:09 PM

Timo Autiokari wrote:

> So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
> I will never ever buy any HP product.

To be fair, I have dealt with many very fine HP laser printers over
the past few years in my career as IT support staff. They have all
been reasonably priced, well-made, and performed like tireless
workhorses with very few problems.

I think your experiences aren't necessarily entirely the fault of HP
(though I agree that IC-chip business is bad), rather they are due to
the inherent nature of inkjet printers in general. As I understand
it, the printer itself is a "loss-leader" item; all the profit is in
the consumables. Just about every inkjet printer from every company
is a resource hog. A quick Google for "inkjet printer cost per page
comparison" provided, among others, this web page of comparison
charts: http://www.testlab.rmit.edu.au/graphs.php Briefly, the
majority of inkjet printers in this test group had a cost-per-page of
between $0.20 and $0.40US - for only up to 20% page coverage! Quite a
few were even higher. You can imagine how much a full-page color
photo print would cost. Also, I don't know if that analysis included
the cost of good photo-grade paper....

When I went digital, I decided quickly not to spend money on a
photo-printer; it seemed much more economical to have my images
printed at a lab. Perhaps if I were a professional photographer, it
would pay to spend the money on a high-end photo printer. ut until
then, I'd rather let someone else handle my printing needs.

Greg Evans
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 24, 2004 3:24:17 AM

Timo Autiokari wrote:

>As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
>cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
>equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
>or they have their own expiration chip.

this is the reason for my wanting a color laser printer. not a very expensive
one but one which will allow me to show an approx of a photo to a family member
or ?? other. for actual quality prints, take it to a print store in town and
let them print them off.

I HATE ink jets with a passion. and I must have 4 of them.

fwiw
chas

a b α HP
November 24, 2004 4:13:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:41 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
<physnospamchem@cloud9.net> wrote:

>"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now have only
>> an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which replaces the black for
>> "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out of a four cart one....
>>
>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of ink.
>> equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a previous
>> cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels, although it
>> prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>>
>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read about
>> that but re the real photo printers.
>>
>> --
>> John McWilliams
>
>In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't mean
>"completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy, for when I
>really need it.

Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
raw marketing BS and nothing more.

If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
run the cartridge dry.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 24, 2004 4:13:08 AM

kashe@sonic.net wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:09:41 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
> <physnospamchem@cloud9.net> wrote:
>

>> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Trying to decide whether to upgrade to a real photo printer- now
>>> have only an HP dj 5550, with, whoopee, a "photo" cart which
>>> replaces the black for "better" color. Makes a six cart printer out
>>> of a four cart one....
>>>
>>> In the mean time, the regular color cartridge said it was out of
>>> ink. equally all three colors were at 0. So, I replaced it with a
>>> previous cartridge I had saved, and it, too, shows 0 ink levels,
>>> although it prints..... Don't see anyplace to refresh the reading.
>>>
>>> Are these HP carts subject to date expiry? (I thought I had read
>>> about that but re the real photo printers.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John McWilliams
>>
>> In my experience with HP printers, the "out of ink" warning doesn't
>> mean "completely". I use the warning to keep a new cartridge handy,
>> for when I really need it.
>>

> Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
> raw marketing BS and nothing more.
>
> If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
> shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
> immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
> date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
> me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
> with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
> flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
> run the cartridge dry.

Seems to me I have seen groups where hacks were mentioned with regard to
resetting incapacitators in some Epson cartridges. If Epson or HP can
put something in there, someone can whip it around to his own uses.
Count on it.

--
Frank ess
November 24, 2004 4:13:08 AM

kashe@sonic.net wrote:

> Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
> raw marketing BS and nothing more.
>
> If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
> shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
> immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
> date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
> me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
> with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
> flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
> run the cartridge dry.

I'm with you here! If I want to pretend to print with ALL my ink
cartridges dry as a bone, it should be my option, nobody elses.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:51:08 +0200, Timo Autiokari
<timo.autiokari@aim-dtp.net> wrote:

>John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Are these HP carts subject to date expiry?
>
>Mot probably yes.
>
>I fell to this HP deadfall completely. I bought the HP Officejet
>d155xi network device (all in one type, it was well over 1000 euros)
>about two years ago and honestly this is the most evil-minded product
>marketing technique I have never seen.

There's one more evil-minded -- the Lexmark products. When a
third party managed to clone their chip to allow refilling their toner
cartridges, they used some cheap-ass form of encryption on the chip.
This allowed Lexmark to go to court and use the DMCA as a hammer to
prevent the third party vendor from using the chips to allow refills.

>The ink cartridges have an IC chip, the sole purpose of that chip is
>to expire the cartridge at some preset date set by HP. There is no way
>around this bitchiness, even if the cartridge is full of ink the
>printer does not accept it. Also the printer will not print in B/W
>mode if only the 3color cartridge is out dated by its chip. And it
>will not print in color in case only the black cartridge is out dated
>by its chip.
>
>As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
>cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
>equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
>or they have their own expiration chip.
>
>So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
>
>I will never ever buy any HP product.
>
>Timo Autiokari
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 24, 2004 4:21:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:26:20 -0500, "Greg Evans"
<misterx@larkbooks.com> wrote:

>Timo Autiokari wrote:
>
>> So, be warned, HP is a deeply deceitful company.
>> I will never ever buy any HP product.
>
>To be fair, I have dealt with many very fine HP laser printers over
>the past few years in my career as IT support staff. They have all
>been reasonably priced, well-made, and performed like tireless
>workhorses with very few problems.

Engineering is not the issue here -- it's marketing practices
which deprive the user/owner of reasonable use of their purchase.

>I think your experiences aren't necessarily entirely the fault of HP
>(though I agree that IC-chip business is bad), rather they are due to
>the inherent nature of inkjet printers in general. As I understand
>it, the printer itself is a "loss-leader" item; all the profit is in
>the consumables.

Let's not forget the practice of supplying inkjet printers
with "minimal fill" cartridges so that your first purchase of a full
tank comes after the original runs dry after a few pages. This would
be the equivalent of supplying a typewriter with an original
eighteen-inch ribbon or a laser printer with two ounces of toner.

> Just about every inkjet printer from every company
>is a resource hog. A quick Google for "inkjet printer cost per page
>comparison" provided, among others, this web page of comparison
>charts: http://www.testlab.rmit.edu.au/graphs.php Briefly, the
>majority of inkjet printers in this test group had a cost-per-page of
>between $0.20 and $0.40US - for only up to 20% page coverage! Quite a
>few were even higher. You can imagine how much a full-page color
>photo print would cost. Also, I don't know if that analysis included
>the cost of good photo-grade paper....
>
>When I went digital, I decided quickly not to spend money on a
>photo-printer; it seemed much more economical to have my images
>printed at a lab. Perhaps if I were a professional photographer, it
>would pay to spend the money on a high-end photo printer. ut until
>then, I'd rather let someone else handle my printing needs.
>
>Greg Evans

November 24, 2004 7:35:52 AM

Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<co0q7d$1c@library2.airnews.net>...
> kashe@sonic.net wrote:
>

> > Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
> > raw marketing BS and nothing more.
> >
> > If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
> > shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
> > immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
> > date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
> > me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
> > with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
> > flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
> > run the cartridge dry.
> >

> I'm with you here! If I want to pretend to print with ALL my ink
> cartridges dry as a bone, it should be my option, nobody elses.

What HELL-PACKED Does Not What is For you to Refill your own ink that
is why you are having this problem in other words The printer Thinks
That The Ink Cartridge Has been refilled and will refuse to print I
know this because I own a HP Photo-smart model 145 and I refill the
ink when it gets low whay i Had to do was re-install the printer
drivers each time i refilled the cartridge.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 24, 2004 3:06:46 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:16:49 GMT, kashe@sonic.net wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:51:08 +0200, Timo Autiokari
><timo.autiokari@aim-dtp.net> wrote:
>
>>John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Are these HP carts subject to date expiry?
>>
>>Mot probably yes.
>>
>>I fell to this HP deadfall completely. I bought the HP Officejet
>>d155xi network device (all in one type, it was well over 1000 euros)
>>about two years ago and honestly this is the most evil-minded product
>>marketing technique I have never seen.
>
> There's one more evil-minded -- the Lexmark products. When a
>third party managed to clone their chip to allow refilling their toner
>cartridges, they used some cheap-ass form of encryption on the chip.
>This allowed Lexmark to go to court and use the DMCA as a hammer to
>prevent the third party vendor from using the chips to allow refills.

And a preliminary injunction against the upstart ink cartridge company
was overturned; the message seems to be that Lexmark's action was a
perversion of the copyright laws.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2004-10-27...

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

chasm@TEXAS.net wrote:

> Timo Autiokari wrote:
>

>>As if that would not be enough to assure steady demand of ink
>>cartridges the nozzles (4 of them) need to be changed often, they are
>>equally expensive as the ink cartridges. Either they dry very easily
>>or they have their own expiration chip.
>

> this is the reason for my wanting a color laser printer. not a very expensive
> one but one which will allow me to show an approx of a photo to a family member
> or ?? other. for actual quality prints, take it to a print store in town and
> let them print them off.

This subject is OT for the rec.photo.digital.slr-systems NG per the charter.
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsyscharter.htm

Please take these questions to news:comp.periphs.printers or keep posting
limited to rec.photo.digital .

Cheers,
Alan.

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
a b α HP
November 24, 2004 4:56:02 PM

TIM wrote:

> ink when it gets low whay i Had to do was re-install the printer
> drivers each time i refilled the cartridge.

This subject is OT for the rec.photo.digital.slr-systems NG per the charter.
http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsyscharter.htm

Please take these questions to news:comp.periphs.printers or keep posting
limited to rec.photo.digital .

Cheers,
Alan.

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
a b α HP
November 25, 2004 5:30:25 AM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:06:46 -0700, Big Bill <bill@pipping.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:16:49 GMT, kashe@sonic.net wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:51:08 +0200, Timo Autiokari
>><timo.autiokari@aim-dtp.net> wrote:

>>>Mot probably yes.
>>>
>>>I fell to this HP deadfall completely. I bought the HP Officejet
>>>d155xi network device (all in one type, it was well over 1000 euros)
>>>about two years ago and honestly this is the most evil-minded product
>>>marketing technique I have never seen.
>>
>> There's one more evil-minded -- the Lexmark products. When a
>>third party managed to clone their chip to allow refilling their toner
>>cartridges, they used some cheap-ass form of encryption on the chip.
>>This allowed Lexmark to go to court and use the DMCA as a hammer to
>>prevent the third party vendor from using the chips to allow refills.
>
>And a preliminary injunction against the upstart ink cartridge company
>was overturned; the message seems to be that Lexmark's action was a
>perversion of the copyright laws.
>
>http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2004-10-27...

They remain evil-minded for having tried it in the first
place. And they're appealing. They're intransigent SOBs and that's all
they are.
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 29, 2004 4:18:39 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:13:07 GMT, kashe@sonic.net wrote:

> Let's admit it -- refusing to print after a specific date is
>raw marketing BS and nothing more.
>
> If I pick up a number of cartridges at a good price, I
>shouldn't be penalized for HP's benefit because I don't use them
>immediately. The only justifiable action is, if they can detect the
>date and refuse to print, they can as easily pop a dialog box letting
>me know the date has been reached. It should be my option to continue
>with the print and evaluate the results for myself. If the print is
>flawed, I can replace the cartridge. If not, I should be allowed to
>run the cartridge dry.

If that truly *is* the only justification you can think of, you might
want to try a little more thinking.
Could it not be possible that the manufacturer is aware of a degrading
of the ink after a period of time? And limiting the use period is an
effort to reduce complaints about poor picture quality, especially
when the are aware of such a limitation?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"