Help with AMD crossfireX

Hello,
I recently bought an AMD 7850 () graphics card. The performance is great and suits my needs. But i was thinking about buying another two monitor so i can play with Eyeinfinity (with tree displays). I don't think a single 7850 is able to run games at that resolution. So i was thinking about buying a 7870 or a 7850 when the 8000 series come out so that the prices drop. My question is: do I get any performance increase from having a 7870 + 7850 rather than having two 7850s? And is there any issue about having two different cards (7870+7850) in crossfire?
6 answers Last reply
More about help crossfirex
  1. There would be no performance difference between the two setups since it will work on the specs of the lower card. Pointless to buy other than HD7850!
  2. I heard it will crossfire normally but, it is pointless to buy the 7870, the 7870 will be downclocked so it will match the 7850. So you pay the extra $40 for nothing!.
  3. Not sure about that refillable...

"It makes no sense to combine a fast and a slow card, as the commonly-held belief that the strong card will drop its performance to match the weak one is incorrect. Instead, the workload becomes imbalanced and the results is not acceptable"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-2.html
  4. aaab said:
    Not sure about that refillable...

"It makes no sense to combine a fast and a slow card, as the commonly-held belief that the strong card will drop its performance to match the weak one is incorrect. Instead, the workload becomes imbalanced and the results is not acceptable"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995-2.html

So I should better be looking for a 7850 instead of a 7870 because the performance will be better?
    Thanks to all for the quick replies.

Another question: Do you think a 7000W PSU will be able to handle them with a Phenom II X6?
  5. 7000 watt!!!...yes a 700 watt is sufficient,depending on the make/model and efficiency of the PSU.
  6. EDIT thought this was a different topic lol...

Yes if you want to X-fire then you need to get the same card, preferably with the same clock speed.

700 watts should be enough.

Other option is sell your current 7850 and upgrade to a 7950 or 7970
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Performance Graphics Cards AMD Graphics Product