Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Power supply unit

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 16, 2012 3:29:35 PM

Hello, im building my first pc my specs are a sabertooth z77 mobo, some corsair dominator 12gb 1600 mhz memory ddr3 , a gtx 670 ftw edition gpu, intel i7 core 3770k 3.5ghz, and for my cooling for my cpu im using a hyper 212 plus heatsink fan from coolermaster, and a western digital 2tb 7200 rpm caviar black internal hdd. what power supply units do you guys recommend heres the one i plan on getting tell me wut u think http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NJ0CYG/ref=ox_sc_a...

More about : power supply unit

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 16, 2012 10:04:50 PM

Bumping is illegal in the forums.

And are you planning on gaming? If so, get the 3570K instead of the 3770K. The 3770K has no advantages in terms of gaming. You can then invest the savings in an SSD.

You also need 8GB for gaming in terms of RAM.

As for the power supply, go for this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are running 1 GPU that is.
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 3:07:23 AM

oh my bad i didnt know im new to this site, thank you for your insight i really appreciate it.
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 3:32:52 AM

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

Remember, if you are going to overclock the GPUs or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. The minute you touch voltages on the CPU or GPUs, the power draw can rise real fast and extensively. Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_...

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
10% off w/ promo code CorsairOct16, ends 10/22 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 3:58:43 AM

I have that Antec 620M and its awesome as far as I am concerned.
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 4:09:00 AM

Deemo13 said:
I have that Antec 620M and its awesome as far as I am concerned.
Indeed it's Seasonic made, 80Plus Bronze, modular, 48A of 12V power, 3 yr warranty This is simply a solid reliable PSU at a modest price :D 


m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 5:23:31 AM

I'm going to actually be using it for SLI with my 460's if I can get my hands on one.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 5:42:34 AM



even if you double the power for going SLI and overclocking, which it won't, don't know why a 600-650 watt PSU can't handle 456 watts . . . that is 76%-70% load.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 5:44:06 AM

^ I don't understand this last post. Is it in reference to my post or the ones above?
m
0
l
October 17, 2012 5:48:22 AM

The cieling on that CPU is another 120'ish for wattage. Some fans? Some RAM? A heatsink? A dvd, cd player?

Uhoh.

If you're going to SLI, you should go with the 750 watt, period.
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 5:53:28 AM

nVidia itself recommend 500W for a single 670. Add 170W for SLI & recommended is 670W.
http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce-gtx-670-in.html#pdp...


For testing conducted for SLI 670, the resulting system consumption for SLI is 433W of which 293W are attributed to the gpu cards.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3wa...


If you use this psu calculator considering OP components, the result is 664W (overclocked processor & used 680x2 to simulate gpu OC:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine


All points out to 750W being more than enough and a 650W pushing your luck.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 6:21:15 AM

1. the OP never mentioned SLI so suggesting a PSU for a SLI set up is not what they are looking for/ inappropriate.
2. card manufactures will not take into account quality PSUs which will have a stronger 12 volt rail and give suggestions for "weaker" units to compensate; a quality PSU will provide 80% of it power from the 12 volt rail, "weaker" ones will be less. the same can be said for online calculators.
3. when looking at benchmarks or reviews, use one that has the same wattage for the system power. the guru 3d has a Core i7 965 / X58 system overclocked to 3.75 GHz which will use more than a i7-3770K @ stock; as the OP spec'd.

so as the OP asked a quality 500-550 watt PSU is what they are looking for, not an expensive 750 watt SLI set up.

and seriously - if you are going to give high end suggestions and not mention a season X series . .then shame on you all. :lol: 



p.s. don't get butthurt over an apprentice "laying down the law" this ain't my first rodeo . . ;) 
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 6:25:16 AM

qbsinfo said:
1. the OP never mentioned SLI so suggesting a PSU for a SLI set up is not what they are looking for/ inappropriate.
2. card manufactures will not take into account quality PSUs which will have a stronger 12 volt rail and give suggestions for "weaker" units to compensate; a quality PSU will provide 80% of it power from the 12 volt rail, "weaker" ones will be less. the same can be said for online calculators.
3. when looking at benchmarks or reviews, use one that has the same wattage for the system power. the guru 3d has a Core i7 965 / X58 system overclocked to 3.75 GHz which will use more than a i7-3770K @ stock; as the OP spec'd.

so as the OP asked a quality 500-550 watt PSU is what they are looking for, not an expensive 750 watt SLI set up.

and seriously - if you are going to give high end suggestions and not mention a season X series . .then shame on you all. :lol: 



p.s. don't get butthurt over an apprentice "laying down the law" this ain't my first rodeo . . ;) 
I know what he asked i was clearing up the even if you double the power for going SLI and overclocking, which it won't, don't know why a 600-650 watt PSU blah,blah,blah, i think your confused ;) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 6:28:28 AM

bigcyco1 said:
I know what he asked i was clearing up the 650W recommendation for SLI don't get confused ;) 

i think i just gave a fine example of posting when i need to be up for work in the morning . .sorry.
[:lutfij:1]
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 6:31:21 AM

Personally I would feel better with something over 650W for SLI.

That being said, I am attempting SLI on my current power supply because I am pretty sure it can do it.
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 17, 2012 6:37:12 AM

qbsinfo said:
i think i just gave a fine example of posting when i need to be up for work in the morning . .sorry.
[:lutfij:1]
No need to apologize it's cool
m
0
l
October 24, 2012 12:41:21 AM

thanks everyone appreciate all the help. im actually building it now it's coming along real nice. have a great day.
m
0
l
!